Age of your hunting rifle.

Remington 700 7MM Magnum. Don't know for sure, but I got it used over 35 years ago. It already had a McMillan, so I've been told, fiberglass stock, and Leupold fixed 8x scope. I had it redone several years ago with muzzle brake, Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad, trigger work, Leupold VXII 3X9 scope, and matte finish blue to match the scope. The stock painted with grey fleck stone coat paint.
It's a real tack driver, and my most accurate rifle. From a lead sled rest, 3/4 MOA @ 100yrds with Remington Premier Scirracco 150gr! :D:D:D

Well I guess I am a bit different! The one I want to use is only a baby! She is 3 months old!

Attachments

• DSCN1580.JPG
    DSCN1580.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 24
The oldest firearm I'm going to be using is a 1923 Winchester Model 12 16ga. As for rifles, probably my Remington 788 .308 or .243 will be the oldest ones.

I'm planning on using my original Springfield 1861 rifled musket, dated 1862, for this years hunt. A .575 minie ball and 80 grains of Hodgdon 777 should do the trick methinks.

Only 152 years old and still going strong! :)

Which one. Some are old enough to vote, at least one is about the same age as me 48, one is in pre-school. Which one I actually on any given day will depend on the weather and on my mood, and whether or not I have loaned one out to a friend. Heck may sit in the stand with my new smartphone and take pictures, hmm maybe have some sort of bang-stick handy though.:)

Primary deer rifle is a .270 Win, Rem 700 BDL Stainless, about 16 years old, and it's shot almost that many deer. A few years, I didn't have an any-deer tag and didn't catch up with a buck, but saw plenty of does.

win.jpg

A Winchester 1892 made in 1918 (96 years old) that has been converted over to a 44 magnum. My mother used it to hunt deer in Pennsylvania in the early 70's. This is the first year that Ohio is allowing center fire rifles to be used. I thought it would be appropriate to use this rifle the first time out this year.

If I have a chance to take a second deer. It will be with my Marlin 1895GS in 45/70. It was made in 2005, so it's just a pup compared to the Winchester.

Jim

Last edited:
Mine isn't born yet...its being built as we speak.

None of my rifles are more than 3 years old at this time....I sold a bunch (53) last year that ranged from 15-30 years old, all Remington 700's.

My .243 Savage 110C is about 30 yrs old. My .308 Ruger American is about 2 yrs old. My .44 Mag Browning B-92 is about 38 yrs old.

I am lucky enough at my advanced age to have accumulated a few rifles, most of which I have deer hunted with. The one that I have used to take the most whitetail is my sporterized 1943 Smith Corona 03-A3, pictured with my sporterized 1928 Springfield 1903 (which I have yet to take hunting).

PA162109-1-1.jpg

PA162106-1.jpg

I know, there is a lot of hate out there for sporterized milsurps and those of us who own them (I have two others, both Lee Enfields). The 03-A3 was sporterized in the '60s, the 1903 probably in the late '50s, back when these rifles had so little value they were almost free.

Mauser

1) 1936 Belgian Mauser M1930 8mm 18" barrel carbine.

2) 1936 S/147 German Mauser K98 in 8mm.

3) 1946 BRNO (Czech) Model 21 9.3x62.

4) 1898 Winchester .22 (shorts) pump, octagon barrel.

5) 1970 Winchester Model 94 30-30.

6) 1940 G.33/40 German Mountain Carbine, 8mm.

Well, I have 2.

First and what I have owned the longest is a basic Remmy 700 ADL in 270. I am the third owner and I believe it was bought new in about 2004. Been a good freezer filler for me and has been absolutely reliable and a tack driver. It's a workhorse in black synthetic but not real easy on the eyes...

Second is my brand new Winnie m70 Supergrade in 338 WM. I don't know what the actual date of manufacture is, but I ave had it in my possession for about 2 weeks now and LOVE it! :)

The oldest one is my fathers 700 that he gave me when I was 14 and he got when he first started hunting, it was bought used in the mid 60's, I actually don't own it anymore since I gave it to my son since..

I tend to not fall in love with hunting rifles and I have many, most are newer and not very old since I am always changing stuff up, I have an a400 unico for turkey, I have a Browning Silver rifled 12ga for deer {shotgun season}, Rem 700 mountain in 7-08 for deer rifle, Beretta 686 o/u for bird, and the OLDEST of my rifles that I actually hunt with is probably my Ruger 77 in 22-250, its setup for yotes and I just cant talk myself into replacing it I thought about it since I own some really nice coopers, I think I used that to kill more animals than any other gun I have ever owned...

Then I have an array of small varmint guns, all cooper bolts and one Blazer {also have a beautiful ar 204 wilson combat custom but do to recent law changes its not kept at my residence any longer}, and a choice of a few other bolt guns for longer range and bigger game, just depends on the hunt and what I pack up the day I'm leaving, 300wsm, 338 lapua, 308 win.

I used to get atttached to huting rifles, but then I got into bow hunting, and from swapping bows every few years it got me used to it so if a new style rifle comes up that I want to try, I do, if its better than what I am using, I will sell the old one to make room for keeping the new one, if not, Ill sell the new one...

My oldest is my father's old rem 700 bdl born in 1973. Since I aquired it, I have turned it into a good shooter!
55e8ed51c90786f6d817b10bf4a1e7c2.jpg

41fbf4a07d27892a0e7d28904bdc892f.jpg

My go to hog gun is an old commercial Oberndorf in .30-06. Not sure of the exact age, some time just pre-WWII I believe. It's pretty much perfection for me. Light and quick handling with good sights and it shoots like it's laser guided.

My squirrel/small game rifle is an old Mossberg 146b. Made some time between 1949-54 if I recall correctly. The jewel of my Mossberg collection and one of two that I still have- up front here:

Back