Age of your hunting rifle.

Great pic, Salmoneye.

Got any recent pics of the rifle? A lot of these old guns are just as good as they ever were. It would seem some folks today assume that an old 30-30 is little better than a spear. I shoot mine quite a bit and consider it to be a flat shooting, high power rifle out to 150 yards or so. Sure, it's no 270; but out to 150 yards, it's a heck of a lot better than most people give it credit for.

Thanks for the kind words...

That pic is from Granville, Vermont at my Family's old camp...Now belongs to a cousin of mine...

In the above picture; 4th from left is my Uncle Frank with my gun...5th from left is my Uncle Dan (I now own his house...His gun went with the family camp to my cousin)...3rd from right is my Grandfather, who I never knew (and no idea whatever happened to the rifle)...

These are pics of my gun today:

2yyvbzq.jpg

21c9leb.jpg

And another pic of the group from 1914 with their deer:

2jcyf0m.jpg

Depends on the day and intended prey.
This year, I have a few out of commission, at least one on loan, and a few new additions that I wanted to focus on.

I've been using a ~2003 Ruger .270 Win for the most part, but it is usually accompanied by a ~1913 Springfield .22 for small game. When the Ruger isn't the best choice (due to terrain and vegetation), I've been switching it out for a .458 SOCOM AR-15 (built this year).

Right now, I can go as old as 1903, as new as 2014, or almost any decade in between; but most of the primaries are 2002-2014.

I've got one that's 122 years old ...... but don't use it much.

The go to gun is only 62 this year ..... the scope on it is only 1/2 that old....

Again, nice pics, Salmoneye. What kind of ammo do you feed your 30-30?

She loves Blue Box Federal 150gr, but mostly I put low doses of Red Dot under 160gr cast through her...Accurate, but about 4 inches lower POI than the factory stuff at 50 yards...

I also load round balls for quiet plinking and small-game/varmint loads...

Salmoneye, if you come across a box for a decent price, try the Hornady .312" 60 gr XTPs.
They're quite destructive on varmints. And, as long as the .312" bullet will chamber (including neck diameter, of course), the size discrepancy is a non-issue. They swage down to groove diameter without a problem.

...With a case 95% full of Trail Boss, it's probably my all-time favorite load for a .30-30.

I have 3 rifles that i use depending on my mood and location. A Ruger m77 .243 made in 1976, A Enfield No5 Mk1 made January 1945 and a Marlin 1894 44mag made in 2009 I think. Never had a deer run further than 20 yards with any of them.
rifles_zps36af6f3b.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I put together a TC Encore ProHunter this year in 35 Whelen. So that one is new, and I'm eager to see how it will perform in the woods. But I'll probably revert back to my 2008 Marlin 1894 at some point. Just can't beat the feel of it, and it smells like wood and leather. But if I've already filled a tag, and the pressure is off, I may take a 1941 Swedish Mauser out for a day.
415a91d7c20433a93ffb22613cc0c4cb.jpg
c867b50fe028a4b87b7d3ee70ce5d330.jpg

Sporterized 1895 Mauser 7x57. Been in family since 1960s.

Got one of those, too ..... also been in the family since the late '60's ... never hunted with it ..... had a peirced primer that sent the cocking piece back into my thumbnail hard enough to make me bleed and not want to shoot the thing much ...... it's also hell on brass (sloppy chamber) .....

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the M41 supposed to have a blued bolt? or were you just refering to the date stamped on it?

ahh, I see... handsom rifle. I always wanted a M38, could never find a good deal on one and went with the M41 instead... I have mixed feelings about it.

Back