A Real Incident, What Would You Do?

OK hello crazy yes backing up gives them time to shoot you sooo run em down and get away without harm.
July 9, 2011 08:09 PM

Starting from a dead stop its difficult to run someone down. They simply side step and now you are point blank range away. Backing up at least puts life saving distance between you and the thugs. Combined with return or cover fire and retreat safest option IMO.

threegun, you assume a stop in the first place.

Put me in Pakistan, Afghanistan, or Mindanao and have a couple motorcycles with passengers pull in front and start slowing, as the OP described, and I'd hit them at that point. There would be no stopping.

As mentioned, in those locations, assassinations and robberies by the method the OP describes are commonplace - the OP's friend didn't just happen to overtake bikes that were already going his way, the bikes maneuvered into blocking positions.

I'd have gunned it, and knocked the bikes over. Odds of disabling the car would be minimal; even if disabled, the bikers would not be in any shape to do anything after being knocked over at speed.

that would work

threegun, you assume a stop in the first place.

Put me in Pakistan, Afghanistan, or Mindanao and have a couple motorcycles with passengers pull in front and start slowing, as the OP described, and I'd hit them at that point. There would be no stopping.

but the only problem I have been having with this thread is this -

let's say motorcycle(s) pulls up beside you, you look at him, he looks at you: what do you do? How can we tell if he is a BG in that split second? I guess we could slowly hit brake...

He didn't pull up along side; they pulled in front, and then started slowing.

If the bike had been passing, driver ideally should be checking first in the mirrors, to see if the passenger is making any furtive motions before the bike pulls alongside.

If a weapon were to come into view, then as the bike pulls up, a side-swipe would do the trick nicely.

I rode a bike for years, and am quite sure I would not want to have had to try to maintain control after a car had thumped me in any form.

@MLeake,
Bikes are a common commodity in our place. There are more bikes on the roads than there are cars. Not really possible to keep a check when there is traffic on the roads. Robbers normally would not attempt such thing in the middle of a thoroughfare, they do it on traffic stops/ signals if they are really that desperate.
Assassination is another matter. There is a row of target killings going in Karachi for some while now. Its really hard to survive when you are the intended target and 2 guys on bikes open fire on you in the middle of the road no matter how busy was it.

The victim in this case however drew and fired only when he saw him reaching for the pistol. The cars available here are usually 1300cc Japenese cars (assembled here) and they are not very tough. A radiator leak was imminent in case of a head on. Moreover, The point by threegun
Starting from a dead stop its difficult to run someone down. They simply side step and now you are point blank range away
is very very valid.

Mleake, Gotcha. My good friend was called up a few years back to Iraq. He was a heavy equipment rated driver. He was instructed to run over anything that got in its path. Even if it was "an infant baby" do not stop.

My thinking comes from a much more civilized society and is definitely not up to par for war torn third world arm pits.

So lets add to my post "if simply running them down isn't an option".

Personally having thought this out a bit more, I wouldn't go out alone period. Minimum 2 vehicles.

I can't imagine having to go through life worried about what the OP must.

Back