A good .45 that's not a 1911?

If people like the Sig 226 single stack 8rd then they will really like the Sig 227 double stack10rd, and the prices are really good since Sig has dropped the 227.

The Sig 227 is the exact same basic handgun as a 226 except it's a double stack 10rd handgun.;)

FNX 45 or FNX45T 15+1, S&W M&P 45 fULL SIZE 10+1 OR 14+1.

I was looking into 1911 style pistols and saw so many problems with some that I said the heck with it. I got a m&p 45 Full Size with extra mags that hold 14 rounds.

Glad I go the Smith as It has been flawless and very accurate.

I have had my FNX 45 since around 2011. Thousands of rounds and it is fantastic....just a bit heavy for my old body to carry often all day. Sits next to my bed with sometimes carry.

I trust both guns more than any 1911 that I looked into.

You obviously didn't read the OP's first post where he said he was looking for something that was affordable.
Pretty common in threads where the OP doesn't define what they consider "affordable". Everything from unattainably priced, unpronounceable exotics to $800 gun snob "bargain" cheap guns!
For me the "affordable" range runs in the $ 250-$500 range. But I have done both under, and over.

For that range, I'd say a Hi Point 45. Rough trigger and ugly as sin but it'll go bang every time and it's gotta be one of the softest shooting 45's out there due to its massive slide. Accuracy is acceptable. ~2" to 3" off-hand at 10 yards.

I picked up a Springfield XDS Mod 2 with a front night sight for $349 a few weeks before the world went crazy. It’s a good choice if you’re looking for a concealed carry option. It has limited capacity (comes with a 5-round and a 6-round magazine), but is very slim and comfortable to carry. I have large hands, and the grip fits me better than the Shield. A few websites have packages that come with 5 mags and a carrying case for the $400 range. My LGS told me that the XDS in .45 has been discontinued, but the prices are definitely right if you shop around.

Ruger American Pistol, why anyone would want or need anything else is beyond me.

You know, at least imo, this isn’t a bad budget option. I realize most everybody hates the RAP and I would highly suggest the OP try before buying but I shot a RAP .45 years back and was quite impressed. Decent trigger, felt like it was built hell for stout, was accurate in my hands, reliable with ball and HP and I just remember enjoying shooting it.

Again damn near EVERYBODY hates these things but I liked the .45 I shot quite a bit.

Ruger American Pistol, why anyone would want or need anything else is beyond me.

For one, you can get an excellent condition used HK USP45 for less money. And it is objectively a better and more proven pistol with a greater capacity.

I know some folks are scared of used guns, but my experiences with them have been uniformly excellent, and the USP is such a robust design, that there is little to look out for anyway.

Sig 220 is my first choice. I carried one for years as a sidearm.
Ruger P97 or whatever Ruger is offering is #2.

I was never good with the S&W 4506.

For one, you can get an excellent condition used HK USP45 for less money. And it is objectively a better and more proven pistol with a greater capacity.

I know some folks are scared of used guns, but my experiences with them have been uniformly excellent, and the USP is such a robust design, that there is little to look out for anyway.

I don’t disagree that the USP is an excellent pistol. That said a Ruger American is right around $450 that I can see. There are no doubt occasional deals on USPs that are used and I’m sure you got yours for a great price, but it’s not something that’s a given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, at least imo, this isn’t a bad budget option. I realize most everybody hates the RAP and I would highly suggest the OP try before buying but I shot a RAP .45 years back and was quite impressed. Decent trigger, felt like it was built hell for stout, was accurate in my hands, reliable with ball and HP and I just remember enjoying shooting it.

Again damn near EVERYBODY hates these things but I liked the .45 I shot quite a bit.
The Ruger American just fits me. I can not shoot a Glock, not saying that they are a bad pistol, I just can’t hit the broad side of the barn with it. The RAP is heavy and ugly, but it fits me, is accurate and is built like a tank. Hence, what more could you ask for?

My 45's: M&P Shield, XD Mod 2 Subcompact, Ruger SR45, Norinco 1911, Llama, Taurus PT 24/7 Pro, PT945 and the Taurus PT145 Mil Pro. A 45 that I always wanted is the Bersa Ultra Compact UC45, also thinking about adding a M&P 2.0 Compact. Sure wish there was a SR45C.

So, what do I suggest?

(1) Polymer, striker fired: Ruger SR45 (totally reliable but only with the Galloway springs and rods, great feel in-hand, crisp trigger 4 1/2 lb pull with short reset, single stack 10+1) which can be had for $250 (affordable) when available from Sportsman's Warehouse.

(2) Hammer fired DA/SA: Taurus PT945, single stack 8+1, alloy frame, similar engineering as their PT92/Beretta-9 but with closed slide, decocker. The PT945 is an 'under the RADAR' gun because it's a Taurus. It's my go-to 45 with the SR45 a close second.

Last edited:
Back