A good .45 that's not a 1911?

My Sig P320 has never failed to fire and is as accurate as a double action trigger will allow, which is plenty accurate for defensive work. Pretty easy to carry, as well.

FNX-45 is a pretty big pistol, but excellent function and accuracy. XDM is also a good .45. The FNX is fully ambidextrous, hammer fired, 15 round magazines. The XDM has a pretty good trigger compared to most striker guns. They are both polymer frames, but quality pistols.

I know the OP wanted to talk about guns other than a 1911, however if you can find a (now discontinued) STI Spartan V for anywhere close to what they sold for new (around $625.00), then there is your choice. I tried to buy one a few years ago that was consigned for $800.00 and I offered $700.00, which was turned down.

Another idea would be to get a CZ 97B and then send it to Cajun Gun Works for the “E” or Enhanced Conversion package. My friend back in CO had one of these and it really can outshoot just about anything else you can think of.

I have a Sig P220 DAK, a SAR K 2 45, and an EAA Witness in .45. They are all pretty decent, but if I had only one to pick from, it would be the Sig.

If you're more of a striker guy, police trade M&P's can be had quite cheaply.

For single stack DA/SA, Ruger P90's & P97's are generally quite reasonable.

The Kahr CT45 is usually quite cheap if you can find one and don't mind the trigger.

I really like my S&W Shield...cheap, accurate enough at close range, comfortable to carry in my holster T-shirt and above all it by far best asset - - - it has zero "soul".

Heaven forbid I ever have to use it - - I'd have no attachment to it whatsoever.
YMMV on this, but, I decided that if I ever had to use a gun on someone, I'd want no part of it later on. Just my opinion.

While it makes the perfect concealed carry choice for me - I do have to say, it's not a "fun gun". I get no more pleasure out of shooting it than I do pushing a lawn mower. It's a mundane tool, plain and simple.

From the sound of it you are looking for a .45 under $300 and to that I say good luck. I mean, the Hi Point .45 is really good and under $200, but it's a boat anchor.

That leaves the low capacity Kahr's and the Ruger P series or SR45.

Out of all of those, I would go with one of the Rugers. P90 is a future collectible, amazing quality and durability for the price, while the SR45 is a more modern design based largely on Glock.

Striker fire: Glocks are a easy , no frills albeit slightly over priced option for what you get. Shoots good, reliable.

If hammer DA/SA and a little bit of heft to it is your thing...IWI Jericho chambered in 45. Looks sharp( my opinion) and just a great firing pistol. Heavier then some like but it will take a solid beating. Heavier also means very smooth recoil control. Trigger is on par with CZs.

Sig has stopped making the 227 a 10rd double stack 45, same hand gun as the 226 single stack 8rd one they can be found some around $500 dollars for the Carry 4" $600 for the 5 inch fullsize.

I love my carry and it cost me $900 when they first arrived.

CZ97 is great, if your hands are large enough.

The EAA Witness made by Tanfoglio is more or less a copy of the CZ.

I got a LE turn-in Smith and Wesson M&P in 45acp for around $300. It's an excellent pistol.

Back