A good .45 that's not a 1911?

kymasabe

I've been thinking, I'd like to buy a .45 again. I used to have a Ruger P345 years ago that I now regret getting rid of. Prices today on that (used) gun are a lot more than I paid a decade ago.
So aside from a 1911, what would be some other good choices for a used .45 that's affordable?

For what purpose? I have a Shield 45, which I really like, but I'm not sure it would be the best choice for a bullseye gun. (But if you don't have a 1911 in .45, I don't know why you wouldn't start there...)

P220
HK45/45C
USP/USPc
Glock 21/30
Smith M&P/compact
CZ97

Those are a few that should more then cover your bases for a general purpose .45. I am partial to HK’s myself but not a bad one on that list.

Chris

Affordable? What is your price range?

The Ruger P345 .45 pistols are selling for $325++ with one selling for under $300 at the big auction site recently. The S&W Shield .45s are selling at about the same price point but there are more being offered.

My personal experience buying online at GB is to look to auctions ending in the midweek rather than the weekends or holidays for more bargain opportunities.

Xd Mod 2 tactical 5". Mine is super accurate. Big though, small hands are not going to cut it with this 13 round 45 acp.

There are a lot of nice used 45's on the market like Glock 21's and USP 45's for some really nice prices.
P220 is a nice gun.

Xd Mod 2 tactical 5". Mine is super accurate. Big though, small hands are not going to cut it with this 13 round 45 acp.

BTW, I don't know if you noticed, but Springfield has quietly dropped most of the original XD line. Only thing listed in 9mm service and subcompact in the "Defender" (budget line) version.

XDM still there (but in .45 and 10mm only).

I have a Glock 21SF and a 30SF, like them both.
Since I'm not under a magazine limit, I've carried the 21SF much more than the 30SF.
If I was under a 10 round limit, 30SF.

Lots of replies with good recommendations so far.

I'll add the FNX .45. Most accurate.45 I own. I've fairly recently compared it to a rental HK .45, and the FNX was more accurate.

A good 45 acp that's not a 1911 ?

The one that comes to my mind is a Star model PS , I loved that rascal .
It was stolen in 1995 and I still miss it and would still like to have it back .

A buddy has a Star model PD in 45 acp that he swears by . It has a 4" barrel and shoots very well .

Star also made a Firestar M43 pistol in 45 acp that I've heard good reports on but I have never had the chance to shoot one in 45 acp ....yet ... I sure would like to have one.
Gary

Many of S&W's 3rd Gen 45XX-series guns are still floating around.

The 5" 4506/4506-1 was an LAPD issued weapon. It's a DA/SA model.

The 4.25" 'Commander'-size 4566, which I have and which is also DA/SA, is a great 3rd Gen pistol.

Obligatory pic attached.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 75
Back