A .44 Magnum home defense story...........

I don't doubt the credibility of the story one bit.

Exterior doors (and windows) are set by the framing crew, and those guys aren't going to shim anything, and they aren't going to put any nails through the jambs into the 2x4s. All they're going to do is nail the brick molding to the wall from the outside, hopefully with an even margin between the door and the jambs. And that little plastic bag which is stapled by the top hinge with the two long screws which are supposed to go through the hinge into the 2x4, what happens to that? That little bag with the screws gets ripped off the jamb and thrown out into the yard.

Most of the time, like anything else in life, with home construction/remodeling, you get what you pay for. If that is all you've ever seen from residential house construction, I feel sorry for you. For every fly-by-night carpenter that does it that way, there's a respectable GC that makes sure him or his crew does it right. Those two long screws in that bag are not to secure the frame, but to secure the top hinge since the factory uses self drilling screws and power drivers. Most of the time those holes in the top hinge are stripped out by over tightening and the top hinge will sag because of it. Good carpenters run long screws behind all hinges and the strike plate to secure the frame. That way, if the hinges/hardware are removed, you don't lose your fit. Any good trim carpenter coming behind the framers will assure the door/windows are secured/operating correctly before applying the inside trim. Many times because of movement/changes in moisture during the construction process, doors will have to be adjusted before they are trimmed. Again, what good carpenters do.....unlike the fly-by-nights and your brother in law working for cash. Since little old ladies generally don't buy new houses and most houses close to University dorms are in the older section of town, I'd bet she was in an older home built before 1960 and the door itself was properly secured. Probably enough old lead paint on both sides of the door to hold the frame securely in the opening, even without screws/nails. Odds are the little chain lock/bolt on the inside broke along with the strike being pulled out.

Making assumptions that all carpenters and their skills/discretion are equal, is like saying all firearms are equal for SD/HD. I don't know what you do for a living, but I wouldn't assume you are a deadbeat loser, just because there are a few in your profession that are. I just sure and 'ell hope you ain't in construction.

Not sure how this became a construction thread or a verification thread.

Great story! I love happy endings.

--Wag--

the thing to remember when discussing whether or not he was knocked backwards is that people quite frequently fall down when they are shot. ordinarily, they will fall backwards, or forwards, or maybe to one or the other side, and sometimes, they'll just sort of wobble and go splat.

There isn't anything special about it if the guy falls backwards. I was once knocked flat on my back during dodgeball.

Followed firts rlw :...

Use something beginning with a "4" in the caliber, should consider using .44 Spl rounds , for better control.

As for the prep falling backwards, what would you expect being on the DISCHARGE end of a .44MAG!

That does have a FIREBALL expanding off that barrel!

She made verbal Challenge to LEAVE premises
Prep violently broke down a secured door.
Physical evidence supports events as reported.

case closed!

Mr. Wright, great story and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised someone hasn't questioned the spelling of your last name. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Mr. Wright, great story and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised someone hasn't questioned the spelling of your last name. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Thanks for sharing all that with us.

Years ago I worked with a gentleman, his last name was Wright, and he carried a S&W 686 (357 Magnum) on his hip, yelp he was a law enforcer. Kind gentleman about 6 FT or so but he didn't take no bull crap. He was pretty dang strong, no one messed with him, he never had to use that 686, thank goodness.

He is dead and gone now, he will be truly missed forever.

Back