A .44 Magnum home defense story...........

My son's ex-MIL (age early to mid 70s) likes to ride her Harley on occasion. She totes two firearms concealed on her person (I'm afraid to ask where) and one in the saddlebag.

Don't mess with that particular Texas grandmaw.

Yes, she does get a lot of range time in.

44 AMP your post #17 needs to be in the thread on carrying a single action concealed where a couple of the resident "experts" have argued their opinions to point of nausea, totaly derailed the thread and haven't proven a damn thing. And now a little old lady comes along and with one shot from an antique "cowboy" style gun and proves all the "experts" wrong. Ya gotta love it.:D

For a ramblin' semi-OT story...

I am a public school teacher. A few years ago I had a Russian student. She was smart and had interesting ways of thinking. I enjoyed working with her. One time I asked the kids to write an essay about bullies or being bullied. Hers was different. Apparently in elementary school an older boy bullied her and her friends. She came up with a solution. They would lure him into a difficult-to-see part of the playground, and beat him down with sticks. She had already broken off and stripped some suitable tree branches. One of her friends had her parents have a sit-down with the principal instead, and the problem was solved. My student was somewhat disappointed.

I asked her about it, just to enjoy the conversation. She said something to the effect that she might have inherited some of her personality from her grandmother. Apparently Grandma had been a partisan and had killed any number of Nazis. After the Soviet Union fell, her kids and grandkids emigrated to the US. They eventually got Grandma to follow them here. She had her own apartment and was enjoying her life doing grandma things, which doubtless including drinking tea (Russian style). One night she heard her door lock jiggling. She took appropriate measures. Some guy had jimmied her lock and strolled into her apartment. She was hidden in some sort of closet or alcove. When he walked past, she stabbed him in the torso, then cut his throat. After that she dragged him out the front door so that he wouldn't mess up her rugs any further while he bled out. She was busy cleaning her rugs when the cops showed up. We live in Texas, so she wasn't charged with anything.

It appears that her granddaughter will be salutatorian this year. She is one of those kids who is kind of nerdy, but no one ever tries to bully her or mess with her. She is hard-core like her grandma.

Last edited:
This sounds like bovine excrement to the Newton 2nd law physists (I'm not one).
His fall might have been expected to take any direction, depending upon his stance and balance and upon the effects of the wound on his tendons, nerves and skeletal structure , and there is no reason to infer from the story that anyone contends that he was pushed backward by momentum.

Or to doubt its veracity, for that matter.

You hate to see a youngster do something fatally stupid,

I never understood the rationale of attributing lack of judgment to evil acts.

tallball, I loved that story! You just never know what someone used to do or is capable of doing.

Last edited:
With respects to Mr. Wright and to the lady, this story is clearly a total fabrication.

The "experts" tell us all the time there's no such thing as a one-shot stop. :rolleyes:

What experts are those?

I've seen experts who say it's unwise to EXPECT a one shot stop, but documented one shots stops happen all the time. Mostly when a person gives up immediately after being shot/shot at, but also, from time to time, when the shot instantly disables them.

There was one video going around awhile back where a gun shop owner responded to an armed robbery with gunfire. A round from his gun apparently scored a CNS hit on an armed robber resulting in a most decisive one shot stop.

Lots of folks get one shot stopped because of the psychological effect of Ohhh Sh...I got shot or holy hell they are shooting at me time to change my zip code.

Of course you cannot rely on this but it happens.

I seem to recall watching a cow elk tag get filled by way of one shot from a SBH 44 Magnum.

Dirty Harry hype aside,,full power open,loose expanding bullets,especially lighter,higher velocity max loads are a step up from typical handgun trauma.
(That's NOT what I'd recommend on elk.Insufficient penetration)
I understand the velocity on Hogdon's site is an 8 1/4 in test barrel.No cylinder gap.Real world,you won't get the listed velocity from a revolver. The velocity shown exceeds 1800 fps with a Nosler 200 gr JHC.

I wouldn't shoot an elk with a 9mm,a .40 S+W,or a 45. Even multiple times.

Last edited:
HiBC said:
I understand the velocity on Hogdon's site is an 8 1/4 in test barrel.No cylinder gap.Real world,you won't get the listed velocity from a revolver. The velocity shown exceeds 1800 fps with a Nosler 200 gr JHC.

Maybe so I'm wrong, but most revolver loads from most sources use a vented test barrel to simulate the use in a revolver. Not too sure about Hodgdon's test lab.

Bob Wright

Time to get out VCR and watch "Dirty Harry" again....."this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun on earth and will...." That ole boy was eat up with a case of the screaming stupids .

Armed women are not to be taken lightly .

I enjoyed the story.

As far as the physics critique, there is a difference between falling and being blown away. People can fall all sorts of ways from all sorts of injuries. In fact, try this exercise at home. Stand up. Take a minute. Then pretend you got poked hard by something unexpected in the upper gut.

Did you back up a little? Did you cover it with your hands, and then maybe look down at your hands? Where were your shoulders? If you went weak at that moment, which way might you have fallen? (That's if you didn't trip backwards over a door frame or step, damaged or otherwise.)

I don't know that the whole story is a fabrication. I have to think that a door so easily
kicked in, "frame and all" must have been the result of some awful shoddy carpentry work.

The kid was a " student at a nearby university"? I guess the police told her that, later?

Danoobie said:

I don't know that the whole story is a fabrication. I have to think that a door so easily
kicked in, "frame and all" must have been the result of some awful shoddy carpentry work.

The kid was a " student at a nearby university"? I guess the police told her that, later?

I don't know where the lady lived other than near the University of Memphis. That neighborhood was built up around the early 'Forties, and most of the houses are brick veneer. Doors and windows are nailed into the studs framing the openings. It doesn't take a tremendous amount of strength and weight to break one in.

As to how she knew he was a student I have no idea. As far as I know, that fact was published in the newspaper.

As I said, I told this just as she told the lady who owned the gun shop. You can believe it or not.

Bob Wright

I just got back from shooting my 629-1 with 6" bbl. and it really isn't any fun with 240gr. federal full house magnums. maybe if it had the extra weight of a full length underlug.

Back