9mm Sub-Compact Carry Gun Selection

Is there any difference in feel of the grip between the P365XL vs. the P365 with the 12 round magazine and grip sleeve?

What my real question is, is there any benefit of getting the P365XL Grip Module vs. just getting the 12 round magazine with the sleeve on it?

That’s a good question, and a thing I waffled between when I bought my XL. For me the P365 without the XL grip was shorter than I find comfortable. Assuming that’s not a problem for you, one difference I found personally was that with the 12 rd extended baseplate magazines in the regular P365 the magazines didn’t always drop free. This wasn’t the gun, this was the fact that the exterior of those extended baseplates kept getting caught by my hands and the magazines wouldn’t drop free (the contact between my hand and the baseplates held the magazines in the pistol unless I deliberately flared my hand). This wasn’t an issue with the XL grip. The bottom of the XL grip is also flared to aid in doing magazine changes. Is this a critical difference? I don’t think so, but it’s a nice to have thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good question, and a thing I waffled between when I bought my XL. For me the P365 without the XL grip was shorter than I find comfortable. Assuming that’s not a problem for you, one difference I found personally was that with the 12 rd extended baseplate magazines in the regular P365 the magazines didn’t always drop free. This wasn’t the gun, this was the fact that the exterior of those extended baseplates kept getting caught by my hands and the magazines wouldn’t drop free (the contact between my hand and the baseplates held the magazines in the pistol unless I deliberately flared my hand). This wasn’t an issue with the XL grip. The bottom of the XL grip is also flared to aid in doing magazine changes. Is this a critical difference? I don’t think so, but it’s a nice to have thing.

Thanks for the response, aside from the magazines dropping free (I don't carry spare mags, so wouldn't be concerned with a reload in a defensive situation), do you notice any other difference or do they feel the same?

Seems like just getting the 12 rounders would give me the option of the XL grip feel and if I want the flat Trigger, that's an easy swap.

The only downside is the lack of optics cut. I'm surprised Sig doesn't have an optics cut version of the regular P365, or a kit that comes with the P365 slide with optics cut and the Romeo 0.

I think it's brilliant that they include it on the XL and it's proprietary to their optic, which seems to be priced pretty reasonably compared to other pistol red dots.

Thanks for the response, aside from the magazines dropping free (I don't carry spare mags, so wouldn't be concerned with a reload in a defensive situation), do you notice any other difference or do they feel the same?

Seems like just getting the 12 rounders would give me the option of the XL grip feel and if I want the flat Trigger, that's an easy swap.

The only downside is the lack of optics cut. I'm surprised Sig doesn't have an optics cut version of the regular P365, or a kit that comes with the P365 slide with optics cut and the Romeo 0.

I think it's brilliant that they include it on the XL and it's proprietary to their optic, which seems to be priced pretty reasonably compared to other pistol red dots.

Think of it this way. Even if you were to get a XL grip module you would still need 12 rd magazines as the 10 rd magazines are too short. So yeah were I you I’d get the magazines first and then if you really want it later you can get the XL module.

Think of it this way. Even if you were to get a XL grip module you would still need 12 rd magazines as the 10 rd magazines are too short. So yeah were I you I’d get the magazines first and then if you really want it later you can get the XL module.

Great point. Now, where to find the 12 rounders in stock. Can't seem to find them anywhere. And $40 a mag, while not the most expensive, def a lot different than Glock mags hah.

So, after all that debate, I went with the P365.

Since it is the smallest platform, it will be the easiest to conceal. If I decide I want a larger frame, I can easily swap the grip module with the P365 XL Grip module for a few bucks as the serialized part is the trigger group, not the frame. Also, with the 12 round mag, The length gets on par with the G43x. I also held it compared with the Taurus G2S and the G2S, which is thinner than the G3c, is significantly larger.

Finally, I got it exactly how I wanted it for $455 before tax (Bass pro + Military discount + member rewards). Which is an excellent price, even pre-COVID.

Really happy I "pulled the trigger" and went with the P365 as I was way overthinking it.

Congrats.

I finally got it on hand (3 day wait). I'm very happy I went with the P365. Beautiful looking gun, feels great, and the size is incredible.

The one thing I am shocked at is how close in size it is to my LCP 2.

If I had done a size comparison between the two in person before buying the Ruger, I probably would of just went with the Sig and not purchased the ruger.

Glad to have them both as the Ruger is def more of a pocket/sneaky pete pistol, but it truely is amazing how close in size they are given the Sig is 9mm with 10 rounds.

I finally got it on hand (3 day wait). I'm very happy I went with the P365. Beautiful looking gun, feels great, and the size is incredible.

The one thing I am shocked at is how close in size it is to my LCP 2.

If I had done a size comparison between the two in person before buying the Ruger, I probably would of just went with the Sig and not purchased the ruger.

Glad to have them both as the Ruger is def more of a pocket/sneaky pete pistol, but it truely is amazing how close in size they are given the Sig is 9mm with 10 rounds.

I remember the website you linked to. As good as that is, there is no true replacement for a hands on comparison. Enjoy your pistol.

I found some on lawmens.com in stock. Picked up 2 12 round mags, was $87 after shipping. Not great, but not terrible either, still better than MSRP.

I redact my last statement.

After putting 10+1 rounds in the sig vs. the LCP II with 6+1, these are two totally different firearms.

The weight difference is massive.

Glad I have both now as in a small, light, sneaky pete holster or in my pocket the much less weight of the LCP II is totally different than the much heavier P365. I guess size doesn't tell the whole story.

Got the P365 to the range today, was very pleased.

While I still don't love the trigger, the creep feels like a 3 stage trigger (Creep bump 1, creep bump 2, bang) The sights are amazing, recoil is very tame given it's small weight and size, it fits my hands well, and I was shooting it almost as well as my Glock 19.

Very pleased with my selection!

On paper the G19, P365, and LCP are all close-ish.

Each is a galaxy away from the other in size.

Take a look at my P365 vs my LCP. Almost no difference. Yet incredibly different. G19 to P365? That's not the same category at all.

QIxbBTHm.jpg

Someone mentioned the nice front night sight on the Hellcat. Must not know the P365 comes standard with the front AND back night sights :)

(no, the silver slide P365 non night sight version doesn't count as the price difference is one magazine and the silver slide only comes with one)

Last edited:
For sure, Although I was incredibly surprised as to how close the P365 is in size compared with my LCP 2. I would say the P365 and LCP 2 are much closer in size than the P365 is with the G19.

I still have yet to shoot a Glock 43x, would love to try one out.

But, I'm very happy with the Sig. Looking back on it, I wish I had purchased the Sig first as I probably would not have purchased the LCP 2 after getting it to the range and comparing the two side by side.

Anyways, the purpose of my last post was to say that the P365 is an incredible shooter for it's size. Given how much smaller it is compared with my Glock 19, I was very impressed with my groups at 15 yards and they were not much larger than my groups with the Glock.

I disagree with comments that the P365 trigger isn't good. It's pretty much the bee's knees by my estimation. Once take up is take up the first time, reset is fast and tactical. I would rank it near the PPQ.

Never hear an XDm being mentioned in top triggers...so I'll have to check out the Hellcat if people are saying it has a better trigger than the P365.

Either way, I think you made the best choice :)

I have a P365 XL. The trigger on mine isn’t in the same camp as the PPQs I’ve owned. Even after hundreds of rounds the trigger press is basically this: slack to a pseudo wall, creep for an appreciable distance, a second actual wall, the break (more of a rolling break), and a little over travel. The reset is fairly positive though a bit longer than other striker fired pistols I have.

Last edited:
I have a P365 XL. The trigger on mine isn’t in the same camp as the PPQs I’ve owned. Even after hundreds of rounds the trigger press is basically this: slack to a pseudo wall, creep for an appreciable distance, a second actual wall, the break (more of a rolling break), and a little over travel. The reset is fairly positive though a bit longer than other striker fired pistols I have.

That's exactly how mine is as well.

It feels similar to my glock trigger with the 3.5 lb connector. Lots of creep.

I have the 5.5 lb connector with all polished internals on my Glock right now and it has a very defined wall and crisp break. Although it's not the lightest pull on the planet, it's about the same weight as the P365 pull on a trigger gauge, but, much more crisp.

Reset on both are excellent.

I carried a Glock 43 for a few years, recently switched to the Sig P365. The Glock was great, but I do better with the thicker grip on the P365. I carried the Glock with an angled extension that gave it 7 rounds. The Sig is said to carry 10, but I can only get 9 in. Maybe I'll go back at some point to see if things have loosened up, any. Still, I've got 2 extra rounds.

Back