9mm Sub-Compact Carry Gun Selection

I have the XL. I don't find the barrel length to be a problem for concealed carry, but I carry IWB. For me IWB the barrel length is mostly a moot point. YMMV.

I have the XL. I don't find the barrel length to be a problem for concealed carry, but I carry IWB. For me IWB the barrel length is mostly a moot point. YMMV.
Do you carry appendix? I think Appendix is the carry style where barrel length makes the most difference. At least for me, I want the barrel of the gun above the crease of my hip so it doesn't dig in when I sit down.

For me, barrel length makes a big difference for Appendix carry. With that said, Other than the Optics Cut, I didn't see any advantage of the longer barrel for defensive purposes and I can put the XL Grip module on the regular one if I want the longer grip for $40.

I like the option of an optics cut, the slightly longer sight radius, and the small gain in bullet velocity from the longer barrel (with the XL grip it also seems to balance a bit better to me). If it's not worth it to you that's fine, I'm not trying to convert you, my original comment was I don't find the barrel length problematic and as I said, YMMV.

Yea, I was debating between the two. The most tempting part of the XL was the optics cut. I do wish they had it on both as it would be fun to play with at the range. Have you ran it with an optic? How do you like it?

I haven’t no. I had been waiting for the Holosun 507k to be available. I’ve seen the Romeo Zero but I’ve seen some not so positive reviews as well and it doesn’t seem as robust as the Holosun. I have a 507c and after a warranty exchange for a defect my replacement has been pretty impressive so I’d rather go the Holosun route, even if it costs more.

FWIW I just did 3 days of pistol red dot optics focused courses at SIG Sauer Academy and an instructor there sent his P365 slide out to be milled for a red dot, so you could go that route too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, let us know once you get it, how you like it.

I'll prob have my Glock 19 milled out first and see how I like red dots on pistols before doing the Sig.

I do like the red dot on my AR-15 as it allows me to keep both eyes open and very easily see the dot on the target. Will have to try it out on a pistol.

SIG p290RS is a 9mm pocket gun that's 100% and comes in at around $400 +/-.
Or try one of the S&W Wonder 9s like the 469. Around $450 all day long

Both of these were King Of The Hill in their day. They are still fine hammer fired pistols that have not outlived their usefulness. Not new but great nonetheless.

I believe you will be surprised by these two pistols if you take the time to look into them.
Here is the Sig P290RS sitting on top of the ORIGINAL Factory Compact Wonder 9; my 469.

standard.jpg

I prefer the M&P Shield because it's thinner than the double-stack sub-compacts (there's a reason the Shield revolutionized the 9mm sub-compact market, Glock's 43 is a direct attempt to compete with it). The M2.0 version has a great new grip stipling. They are great shooters. Fun just for target shooting. No snap at all.

I've shot them, they are nice guns, but it's .95" width vs. 1" width with the P365, which is also smaller in every other dimension and carry's 10+1 vs. 7+1 (Flush mount for both).

Looks like you already went with the Sig 365. I shot one, but I decided to go with the Springfield Armory Hellcat instead. I like the trigger better on the Hellcat and It ships with a 11 round mag and a 13 round mag. The grip texture can be a bit abrasive for some people though. The front sight came standard as a night sight which is a nice plus. The size is pretty close to the Sig 365 so as long as you're happy with your decision, its all good.

Rodfac- my hat is off to you, sir. Photos of range results showing 10 shots and stating the distance is very valuable to me. That's a very good group of 10.

Do you recall what ammunition you were using? Not that it really matters- "real life" range results are very valuable to me. I am assuming that group was from a sandbag or you are an excellent shot- either way, the pistol is holding it's accuracy and my impression of the 365 puts it even higher on my shopping list.

Looks like you already went with the Sig 365. I shot one, but I decided to go with the Springfield Armory Hellcat instead. I like the trigger better on the Hellcat and It ships with a 11 round mag and a 13 round mag. The grip texture can be a bit abrasive for some people though. The front sight came standard as a night sight which is a nice plus. The size is pretty close to the Sig 365 so as long as you're happy with your decision, its all good.
I looked at them both but decided to go with the Sig for a few reasons. For me, I love the modularity of the Sig. being able to easily swap out grip modules is really cool as I can convert it to different size grips/rails/designs etc. There's already a ton of options on the market, but excited to see what more will come.

I agree the trigger on the hellcat is nicer as it's got a wall and a crisp break vs. the creep heavy sig trigger, but I do suspect there's tons of options for changing the sig trigger as aftermarket support is huge for the P365 vs. the Hellcat.

Do you recall what ammunition you were using? Not that it really matters- "real life" range results are very valuable to me. I am assuming that group was from a sandbag or you are an excellent shot- either way, the pistol is holding it's accuracy and my impression of the 365 puts it even higher on my shopping list.
Stinky, the ammunition was Federal American Eagle 124 gr FMJ's (hard to see but marked on the target). Federal's white box 124 gr JHP's (the cheap ones) do every bit as well!

I had less than 200 rounds through the gun at the time and shot it at 10 yds, offhand, slow fire, from a two-handed Weaver Stance,no bags...hey, even I get lucky from time to time! I continue to be amazed at the gun's accuracy...now over 1300 rounds and still 99.99% reliable. Hope yours works out as well. Rod

So, after all that debate, I went with the P365.

Since it is the smallest platform, it will be the easiest to conceal. If I decide I want a larger frame, I can easily swap the grip module with the P365 XL Grip module for a few bucks as the serialized part is the trigger group, not the frame. Also, with the 12 round mag, The length gets on par with the G43x. I also held it compared with the Taurus G2S and the G2S, which is thinner than the G3c, is significantly larger.

Finally, I got it exactly how I wanted it for $455 before tax (Bass pro + Military discount + member rewards). Which is an excellent price, even pre-COVID.

Really happy I "pulled the trigger" and went with the P365 as I was way overthinking it.
I think you made a great choice. I own both the 43x and the 365, and over time the 365 has become my edc. They are both fine pistols, but the 365 is more comfortable to carry. I normally carry with a 12 round magazine, but I like having the option to move down to the 10 round if more concealment is required.

I think you made a great choice. I own both the 43x and the 365, and over time the 365 has become my edc. They are both fine pistols, but the 365 is more comfortable to carry. I normally carry with a 12 round magazine, but I like having the option to move down to the 10 round if more concealment is required.
Very cool, I was debating between the 365 and 365xl, but the whole reason for the 365 is ultimate ease of carry so the XL would defeat that purpose.

For the 43x, my decision point was that right now they are nearly impossible to find in stock, and given that it's a standard 10 round mag pistol, I highly doubt any bans after the election will target it. So, I can wait for availability to come back to normal in 2021 (Maybe), and then get one on blue label for $350, where as right now I would be paying a premium for one if I could find one.

As for shootability, which do you prefer?

The stock Glock triggers on the sub-compacts aren’t great. I have the 43 and I ended up putting an Agency Arms trigger and a Double Diamond connector. I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of modifying carry pistols, but it shoots a lot nicer and makes it easier to hit the target.

Very cool, I was debating between the 365 and 365xl, but the whole reason for the 365 is ultimate ease of carry so the XL would defeat that purpose.

As for shootability, which do you prefer?

i have both , bot are super easy to carry , barley notice the extra size of the xl at all , infact if u carry the 365 with the 12rd ext mag the grips are almost identical in size

i appendix carry both in sidecar style holsters, to me they both shoot the same though i prefer the flat trigger on the xl , prolly buy one for the 365 as well

i have both , bot are super easy to carry , barley notice the extra size of the xl at all , infact if u carry the 365 with the 12rd ext mag the grips are almost identical in size

i appendix carry both in sidecar style holsters, to me they both shoot the same though i prefer the flat trigger on the xl , prolly buy one for the 365 as well
Is there any difference in feel of the grip between the P365XL vs. the P365 with the 12 round magazine and grip sleeve?

What my real question is, is there any benefit of getting the P365XL Grip Module vs. just getting the 12 round magazine with the sleeve on it?

Back