7.62 x 39 Russian 200 yard accuracy Siaga AK

That Ruger American with a 16” barrel has been a most pleasant surprise.
I haven’t touched it.
Right out of the box it was a shooter. Very light and I love to shoot it offhand.
I don’t know if I got lucky or it’s par for the course.

They have a solid reputation for shooting well, hunters like em. I almost got their 450 bushmaster but decided to build a 458 socom AR instead. More fun for me.;)

The parent case for 6ppc is 220 Russian small primer and parent case of 220 Russian is 7.62X39 large primer.

I formed some 7.62x29 got my tight neck 6ppc and good enough to shoot pd's. Hard to buy now.

I had an ArmoryUSA AK built in Texas that wore a Krebs rear peep sight, orange Tapco front sight, and was surprisingly accurate. I converted a half dozen Saigas back to traditional AK format from the sporter nonsense they were imported with, and they all shot like crap, inaccurate as heck, sold them all, should have kept the Texan, only AK I regret selling, the rest were worthless past 100 yards.

I never had one that would shoot well past 100 yards. But they're fun to shoot inside that range.

An SKS will shoot better and still fun, just different.

--Wag--

Went out again today and shot another 10 round mag of Wolf polyformance out of my PSA AK--this time at 160 yds. Still too much snow, ice and mud in the way to get out further--but hopefully soon, I'm burning with curiosity to see how well the stuff does at 200 yds. The stock trigger is a gritty 6.5 lbs pull, so not the easiest to steady and i did pull a few shots, one badly which I did not not include. When it warms up and the ice clears I'll do a side-by-side test with my best 7.62 x 39 handloads. Still, this stuff is quite good IMO.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AK polyformance 160 yds.jpg
    AK polyformance 160 yds.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 92
Finally was able to get out a bit further, but still too messy out to set up my bench. I also was about at the limit of what I my bad eyes could see well through the primary arms 4x AK optic. And, had the very first FTE ever using the Wolf polyformance ammo, could have been me though that caused it.

Here are all ten shots of the polyformance at 230 yds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AK polyformance 230 yds.jpg
    AK polyformance 230 yds.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 80
Thanks guys--I think these results--using an "average grade" AK and ammo--confirm what combat 101 said. It's not a small-group maker, but it is going to likely hit a man-size target if the shooter does his or her job. When spring gets here and the snow, mud and ice is gone I'lll revisit this with some of my handloads

When comes to group size, I go by ATC or R50, rather than extreme spread. 1.1MOA at 230yd is excellent. You certainly shoot small group with that gun. With my cheap AR, I can do 1.5MOA at 100yd R50 10-shot with peep sight. Your AK beats my AR.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Your AK beats my AR.
Not any more.:(

I discovered there's a good reason the case did not eject yesterday--the extractor snapped. I doubt I have over 500 cartridges through the gun.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 73
Got the audio book of "the gun". Good book and interesting information.

I have a few coworkers from the old Soviet union. None of them believe the sergeant designed the AK. It is just a typical propaganda from Soviet union or red China. The book confirms that.

Didn't realize the AR history is so screwed up. Hope we have learned the lesson and not to repeat the same.

Thank you for the book recommendation.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back