7.62 x 39 Russian 200 yard accuracy Siaga AK

Just for fun--and we are currently experiencing a heat wave; 20 degrees--I took my PSA AK out with 10 rounds of wolf polyformance in the mag. I could only get out to 154 yds and conditions are still very icy. Using the primary arms 1 x 4 AK optic I figure my setup is pretty close to your's. Your results probably are not all that bad once you figure whatever glitch is messing with your bullets would be my guess.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 123 gr polyformance PSAAK.jpg
    123 gr polyformance PSAAK.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 117
1.3moa(ATC or R50) out 150yd is pretty good.
For combloc bimetal bulk ammo I'm very pleased with it. It never has choked in the rifles I've fired it in--and while it's not going to wow a precision shooter; it's consistently "good enough."

For combloc bimetal bulk ammo I'm very pleased with it. It never has choked in the rifles I've fired it in--and while it's not going to wow a precision shooter; it's consistently "good enough."
That's more than good enough. I wish all my rifle can get close. My standard is 2moa R50 at 100yd, 10 shots or more, excluding flyers correctly called.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's more than good enough. I wish all my rifle can get close. My standard is 2moa R50 at 100yd, 10 shots or more, excluding flyers correctly called.
In the spirit of full disclosure--the first shot was to get the approximate bullet drop --I had previously shot the rifle at a shorter distance--so the recorded group is just 9 shots.;) Still, I was for the longest time one of those shooters who always looked down on wolf/tula steel case stuff, but this stuff is much better than what I first tried many years ago. Every shot felt the same--and every case was thrown about 30 feet.:D
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpg
    IMG_6273.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Jim567 If you are getting tight groups at 100 yds--and I'll add my best handloads of 7.62 x 39 have been when using SST's--and then they fall completely apart at another 100 yds that seems awfully strange to me. The only logical reason I can think of is something is causing a radical destabilization of your projectiles. Pure conjecture, but whatever that is must have a threshold at the velocity/spin rate between 100 and 200 yds. I can't think of a condition where a weapon would shoot tight at 100 yds and for some mechanical error in the gun cause the projectile to "selectively" degrade it's trajectory at a particular range. I'd call Hornady--they are usually helpful when I call them, and see what they say. I'd try other ammo and chrono the results and see if the error was consistent. I guess it's possible if the bullet was not getting compressed to the bore properly (I think most AK type weapons on the US market are around .310 and I think that's what Hornady makes their SST's to) and it could be flying and/or spinning fast enough initially to overcome destabilization, though it seems odd it could be that different between 100 and 200 yards.

O_o Wow!!

Good looking, un-converted Saiga!!!

Curious to see the results with two different types of ammo....

200 yards
The wolf ammo shot a group of about 10 inches and high.

The hornady was 5-6” which is what I would expect from an AK.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0878US1oeGjHgrO7aexCXfdpw

The Ruger American shot 1.75”. Same Hornady SST ammo.
And I wasn’t having a great day.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/018jBUDJeZEcZyW6sjUulzsbw

I have no idea what happened with the Saiga last week
I don’t believe lapping the crown would help that much.
I wonder if I had my magazine up against the bench rest?
I’m just happy it’s doing what an AK should do at this point.

Last edited:
Back