6-o-clock Carry, input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who are not special ops guys, we draw our weapons when our lives are in danger. I carry a gun because I don't want my fists to be the deciding factor in a lethal force scenario.

AcridSaint said:
For those of us who are not special ops guys, we draw our weapons when our lives are in danger.

Congratulations on living someplace where the criminals are required by law to give ample warning before an attack! ;) Around here, they usually jump people by surprise. :o

For those of us who are not special ops guys, we draw our weapons when our lives are in danger. I carry a gun because I don't want my fists to be the deciding factor in a lethal force scenario.

I'm not letting you make light of that and redirect that.

The point was those with the clear means to defend themselves down to a very crazy reputation for doing it (for our national benefit) have been noted for going hand to hand when the range of engagement is right up on you. The point is to correctly improvise to safe your life. You think at point blank range he's gonna let you pull that pistol? No he probably won't. So, you might as well start breaking bones. It's not that hard either. I have limited martial arts experience but I know where pressure points are and I know how to dislocate limbs and I will do it if left no other alternative.

Eventually I hope to learn the Russian martial arts as well as Krav Maga. Might as well prepare myself. The Russian stuff I may have to rely (did I spell that right?) on a dvd because it's not taught in my area but I think Krav Maga is. If not I can get some dvds recommended by some IDF friends of mine.

The other thing was that I clearly stated other individuals (such as LEOs) have done the same to my knowledge which further strengthened my point that it's not limited to Special Ops and is definitely not a "spacey dream-landish" idea. People have done it and live to tell the tale.

Your range should tell you what to do. By that time, I'm gonna start snapping bones and trying to grab stuff that is hard and not nailed down. As my generation says, by then "it's on".

I'm not saying they are required, I'm saying that I'm going do my damnedest to draw my weapon, not bare knuckle fight them and wait until they're on the ground to transition to a lethal force option.

I have no bone snapping or crushing ability from a standing position, nor am I looking to grapple with anyone who is about to kill me.

Congratulations on living someplace where the criminals are required by law to give ample warning before an attack!
Pursuant to Local Code 194-73-C62, I am informing you that I plan to paint mustaches on at least two (2) of your garden gnomes between 21:00 and 22:00 hours on Friday night. :)

The Russian stuff I may have to rely (did I spell that right?) on a dvd because it's not taught in my area but I think Krav Maga is. If not I can get some dvds recommended by some IDF friends of mine.
I cannot stress enough the need to learn these things in person, rather than from a DVD. I've seen a black belt get his clock punched by a drunk Appalachian Hill Person with a few beers in him. He remarked that it was the first time in his life he'd been physically hurt by another human being, and he didn't know how to react.

Better to take one discipline face-to-face than to try to acquire the knowledge from a video. Same goes for shooting.

learning in person, vs from video

I can't think of a single, physical activity I participate in that could have been learned to even minimal proficiency without lots of physical practice.

Wrestling, skiing (snow and water), kempo, aikido, flying, shooting, motorcycle riding... All of them benefit tremendously from having an actual instructor, not only to show you how to do things, but to correct you when you don't get them right.

You can try to teach yourself by watching others, but it can be dangerous in some cases, and simply very frustrating in others.

An example leaps to mind.

A good friend of mine (TKD 2nd degree, Aikido shodan, IaiJutsu instructor; former cop; pretty good shot; long-time horseman) decided he was going to start competing in some cowboy action events. One of the skills he decided to teach himself was roping.

He spent dozens of hours practicing throwing a lasso at targets around his yard, and became very, very accurate.

Then, after honing his muscle memory, he finally consulted with another friend who competed in that event.

Turned out he had been practicing from on foot, and so he had not taken the horse into account. The throw he'd developed so thoroughly would have put the loop into his horse's head every time. He got so frustrated trying to unlearn the bad movement that he finally gave up.

He'd have been much better off if he'd consulted the expert up front, no?

That may be the biggest difference between a video and a skilled instructor. The video can show you how to do some things, but it can't critique how you are applying those skills.

I kind of get the impression the OP was wanting validation on the MOB position and he didn't get it. There have been a lot of good reasons for not carrying like that.

The 3:30/4:00 forward tilt as it's been referred to is much more comfortable, pulls out very naturally and easily, and without sweeping your body under time and pressure constraints.

You could get slammed against something and not get even a bruise as it's sitting in a sort of protected hollow.

Seems like this topic has been getting weirdly personal, what's up with that?????

Worried about a shirt pulling up and showing your gun? Dress appropriately to conceal or open carry. The whole being prepared goes into fantasy la la land by too many who don't really have any idea what they are protecting themselves against. When it happens you'll see it coming and it won't be the unknown spectre the uninitiated tends to overload themselves worrying about.

Carrying concealed isn't the afterthought that goes with whatever you used to wear if it's new to you. Carry comfortably and sensibly and dress appropriately. I have the gun that is as big as is possible to carry reasonably well concealed, it fits perfectly in the inside pocket of a suit jacket. If your gun pops into view when you lean over so what? Pull your shirt back over it or wear one that doesn't.

Last edited:
I carry in the 5:30-almost 6 o'clock position, with a pretty good cant. I find that is the most comfortable, and easiest to conceal, position to carry, for me. I wear jeans that fit me, and don't like baggy clothes, so there's a natural space between 5 and 7 where the gun fits. At 4 o'clock, there's no room and it's uncomfortable. It prints if I bend over, but I've yet to be made, even with just a T-shirt around friends and family who don't know I carry. I also sit and drive for long periods in this position.

I say if ya wanna carry SOB, go for it, once you know the pros and cons.

My back's already screwed up and I choose not to carry as such for the reasons stated, but if it works for you, it works for you. I'd hate to get my right side slammed into a brick wall when I'm carrying for the same reasons, so I try to avoid that. ;)

Everything is a tradeoff in one fashion or another; gun, holster, round, belt, clothing/cover decisions, bending/kneeling, etc. If you're like me and others I know, you'll end up with a box of holsters to choose from eventually.

I cannot stress enough the need to learn these things in person, rather than from a DVD. I've seen a black belt get his clock punched by a drunk Appalachian Hill Person with a few beers in him. He remarked that it was the first time in his life he'd been physically hurt by another human being, and he didn't know how to react.

Better to take one discipline face-to-face than to try to acquire the knowledge from a video. Same goes for shooting.

Yes I am very aware of the value of an instructor. That's why I was trying to communicate that I'm more interested in an instructor than a video but if I can't find someone that teaches the martial art that I am willing to learn, then something is better than nothing. As for shooting, I whole heartedly agree, My CCW instructor is an IDPA competitor and was very helpful in learning a new technique.

I can't think of a single, physical activity I participate in that could have been learned to even minimal proficiency without lots of physical practice.

Yup, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "PRACTICE!" :)

SOB, no no's is BS but you "Know it alls" carry what ever way you want, that's whats makes this country so great.

I'll agree with that but in a more civil manner. Like I said "We're not opinionated on this site are we?". Yes we are. :)

My first post - it was this old thread found from google search that got me to register here at these forums.

I will be shopping for a solid 6 o'clock IWB type -
and wanted to read what the experts here have to say.

Welcome to TFL Malibu.

I think you question probably deserves opening up a new thread rather than resurrecting the old one here. Times, guns, holsters and people have changed over the last five years but whatever works, works. If this thread doesn't do though feel free to open up a six o'clock hold thread.

What gun are you using (or have in mind)?

P.S. I'm one of the last guys to ask about holsters as I think they are WAY more frustrating to buy than guns.

Well for my second post . . .
I guess this website may not have bandwidth or something to reply with quote
option available on some of the bigger (PAC money funded or not) forum websites.

However, be proud that the number one website when a google search is entered for 6 o'clock IWB holster is . . . .
may I have the envelope please . . .
. . . the winner is The Firing Line *applause*

ok enough theatrics - anyhoo . . .
I'll keep this old thread going (knew it was old BEFORE checking the yellow box) and did not change a letter.

So, 6 o'clock rhymes with glock yadayadayada
Maggie is slang for Magnum . . . whatever.

6 o'clock is gonna be where my Made in Croatia 9.0 mm heater will be holstered. I realize length IS a problem to be solved,
but there are 6 o'clock holstered 45's at an agent near you.

Thanks for the welcoming - I do not mind contrarian opinions a single iota.
That is what these forums are about in the big picture.

I think the front pocket with a glock or ruger is . . . well . . . right out of the 'hood

Malibu,
give 1:00 Appendix IWB a try. Most comfortable carry for my glock 19.
Also try the mic trigger holster with or without a clip draw.
Or a good AIWB holster.

Tried the reverse grip 5:00 method and it prints too much when bending over.
OK when standing straight up.

Front seems the best because you can watch people checking for your concealment (which no one really ever does anyways, being so preoccupied with their own mundane thoughts!) and you can better protect your weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back