6.5 Creedmoor.......Love affair???

Under 400, against the .270 Winchester, the 6.5 bullets buck wind a tad better.
After that they leave the .270 win. I will never give up my .270 for anything really, but I dig loading for a rifle that's inherently accurate with less powder and bucks wind and has killing power beyond 400.
I don't hunt anywhere( as of yet) that longer shots can be required....man the 6.5 has a lot of bullets you can use in it....

I had another look at the ballistics. Shooting a 140 gr Accubond in both rifles, the 270 has an inch less wind drift at 400 yards in a 20 mph crosswind. That said, I am really fond of my Tikka stainless 260, and hunt mostly with it these days. A lot of that is based on the rifle and not so much the caliber. If I had the same rifle in 270, I might hunt with it instead of the 260. Stainless Tikka with a 20 inch heavy (Brux #4) barrel. For just coyote hunting and paper punching, the 260 is great, and recoil is light. For the big hogs, sometimes I wish I had the 270. If I moved back to hunting in the Louisiana lowlands along the river, where the big bucks are twice the size of the ones here in central Texas, i’d probably go back to the 270. A fellow wants to drop the big ones fast, before they get into the truly evil briar patches.

joed said:
It's the latest craze for now, can't wait till it ends though. It's a good cartridge but it's not the best for everything like the 6.5 Lemmings would have you believe.

rdj_eyeroll.gif

You may want to read what I actually wrote, and what I was responding to before you call me a lemming.

Now when you say "dark beer" do you mean a porter or stout? Personally, A stout is much better and I have no use for porters. Stouts deliver better taste and more alcohol at the head. I really don't think there is any need for porters.
BB Vanilla Porter is one of my favorites, but Stouts, yes, they are better. LH Milk Stout and Wynkoops Sagebrush Stout are two of my favorites.

VBB Vanilla Porter is one of my favorites, but Stouts, yes, they are better. LH Milk Stout and Wynkoops Sagebrush Stout are two of my favorites.
Once again you have out-classed me sir, I must give you the road. ;)

the Creedmoor concept is not about being a better cartridge than existing ones. it is about reaching for a box of hornady match ammo sitting on the shelf at any gun store, grabbing a cheap ruger or sav rifle. it will have the correct rifle pitch, throat and lead for the ammo that hornady developed with out the need for a custom gunsmiths' bs. just saying.....

the Creedmoor concept is not about being a better cartridge than existing ones. it is about reaching for a box of hornady match ammo sitting on the shelf at any gun store, grabbing a cheap ruger or sav rifle. it will have the correct rifle pitch, throat and lead for the ammo that hornady developed with out the need for a custom gunsmiths' bs. just saying.....
Score! What kind of beer would you like?;)

actually a bottle of annie green spring cheery wine with my 1970 torino. radar love playing on the sparkamatic 15watt stereo will do just fine!

I saw a Remington 700 sps in 6.5 cm, new with a cheap arse package scope on it for 450.00 last week. but I,m up to my neck in 6.5 rifles right now. 6 military 6.5x55,s, one cz 550 in 6.5x55 and I rem 7600 pump in .260. one Remington 700 sps in .260 and a Remington xp-100R in .260.

I saw a Remington 700 sps in 6.5 cm, new with a cheap arse package scope on it for 450.00 last week. but I,m up to my neck in 6.5 rifles right now. 6 military 6.5x55,s, one cz 550 in 6.5x55 and I rem 7600 pump in .260. one Remington 700 sps in .260 and a Remington xp-100R in .260.

Naw go ahead and buy the Remington 700 you know you want it, heck one more ain't going matter.

All this 6.5 discussion and not one word for .26 Nosler?

Reckon how long a barrel would last on a .26 Nosler? :eek:

Speed kills baby, kills several things, barrels and critters, but I bet its fun while it lasts though. :D:)

All this 6.5 discussion and not one word for .26 Nosler?
I know a few guys with them. 800 round barrel life.

So worst case, 200 to settle in, 100 to work up a decent load, 100 to tweak and chase the lands...400 round usable life. Only for a hunting rifle in my book and if I am going to shoot something past 400 or so, I want a bigger bullet.

I've got two 6.5mm Creedmoor Savage bolt actions and two .308 Savage bolt actions so I guess I can give you a comparison.

The two 6.5mm CMs are at the top of my accuracy list but the .308s are not too far behind.

Here is a comparison of 5 round groups at 100 yards:

Savage 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor - 0.387 26 inch barrel (211 groups)
------------Top 25 loads average - 0.309 (57 groups)
Savage 10T-SR 6.5mm Creedmoor - 0.392 24 inch (95 groups)
------------Top 25 loads average - 0.350 (59 groups)
Savage 10 FCP-K (w muzzle brake) - 0.458 - 24 inch barrel (165 groups)
------------Top 25 loads average - 0.357 (41 groups)
Savage 10 FP .308 (old rebarreled) - 0.467 24 inch barrel (117 groups)
------------Top 25 loads average - 0.412 (50 groups)

The 6.5mm Creedmoors are a bit more accurate and are my newest and most accurate rifles.
The 10T-SR (Cabela's only version) has the fewest groups to date because it is my newest acquisition. It was 1/2 the price of the model 12 LRP and shoots almost as accurately. I bought it to do load development and save the 12 LRP barrel.

The two model 10 .308s are Law Enforcement models that have thousands of rounds through the barrels. The 10 FP is an old model (about 2008) and was rebarreled after 6500 rounds target barrel that is Suppressor Ready that they agreed to flute for me. Its accuracy is an improvement over the original factory barrel. Price for the replacement was $ 427 including shipping costs.

Other than the 10 FP, all three of the other Savages are out of the box and unmodified.

Back