44mag shoots high with sights ajusted down ?

No , I don’t care to load light bullets because I want the heavier recoil . I mentioned all the stress on the gun because earlier in the thread I indicated that I did not want to stress out the firearm. However now that I know that it’s basically a shooters grade Smith and Wesson 629 . I have less concerns about that and I’m now more willing to push the firearm harder .

Another reason for not wanting to shoot the lighter bullets is right now all I can find is plated and lead bullets at "decent" prices :rolleyes:. If I push the lighter bullets hard . I will likely be getting velocities generally not optimal for lead and plated bullets . All this is not to say I will never use lighter bullets it’s just not something I want to do to correct the original problem of shooting high .

Last edited:
Something I forgot to mention before, and kind of in line with your situation, wouldn't heavier bullets (such as 300gr) shoot even higher???

Yep , just another reason to correct the sights rather then changing to lighter bullets or holding low . Holding off intended POI is something I've never liked doing . I understand this is sometimes necessary but I only want to do that when it "is" necessary which to me means after exhausting all other option to get the firearm to shoot to POA .

I've found that lighter/heavier bullets can make a big difference in revolvers, not so much in the semi auto. Practically no difference in my 9MM EZ(115/147). Will prolly end up filing the front sight. It'll mess up the dot but you can't hit what you can't see.

My XD45 compact shot really low , I had to hold so high I literally could not see the POI area because the slide covered it completely . I switched the sights out to some fixed fiber optic sights but that did not help . I HATED that gun because of the sight issue . I ended up sending it back to Springfield after a couple years of it collecting dust with a drawing of what my sight picture looks like and where I want the bullet to impact in relation . They sent it back with no paperwork just the gun in the box . Nothing stating what they did if anything :confused: . Took it out and it shoots perfectly to my POA now , I like shooting that gun a lot now , glad I didn't just give up on it .

Last edited:
I've found that lighter/heavier bullets can make a big difference in revolvers, not so much in the semi auto. Practically no difference in my 9MM EZ(115/147). Will prolly end up filing the front sight. It'll mess up the dot but you can't hit what you can't see.
This is because during the phase when the bullet is in the bore, a typical semi-auto has very little muzzle lift.

The slide and barrel are recoiling, but since they are only loosely coupled to the rest of the gun by the recoil spring, that recoil is straight back, it doesn't cause muzzle lift.

In contrast, a revolver is all one piece. So the recoil will immediately start to torque the gun and cause muzzle lift given that the shooter's hand is below the bore in a typical revolver design.

Here's a bit more on the topic.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586602

New rear sight blade fixed the problem :-)

I shot these early before fully sighted in but it's finally shooting to "my" POA .

12 yards

eenOh6.jpg

meHlbM.jpg

35 yards

m6OLVD.jpg

There's just something about a gun shooting where you want it to :) FWIW I do have a flinch when shooting this firearm and although the above groups were hitting to the left . Once I had the gun truly zeroed , it appears when I flinch my POI is also to the left . I changed my finger placement to be more the tip on the trigger rather then the full pad and that seemed to help some resulting in more consistent groups later in the day .

Not horrible groups, but you're pulling your shots left. Too much leftward trigger pressure is indicated.

Try for more directly-backwards pressure during trigger manipulation.

Back