44mag shoots high with sights ajusted down ?

Metal god

Hey guys ,

I have a 629 that the POI is adout 3 to 4 “ high at 10yds . Not surebit it’s just how close I was testing or what but the rear sight is adjusted all the way down ( front sight fixed ) .

There’s a couple things I should add . Really hot loads shoot lower but still high and if I put a death grip on the gun it shoots almost to POA . All this tells me the recoil of the gun is causing the muzzle to muve before the bullet leaves the barrel ( already knew this happens ) . My issue is the sights can’t compensate for that enough . The death grip is really not something I want to do . IMHO I’ve got strong hands and have never needed to hold any firearm so tight my hands fatigue after just a few shots .

Any answers will help thanks

MG

The rear sight blade can be filed down for some adjustment. Do this very carefully. Whenever I'm filing on a sight, I usually count fourteen strokes then test fire. As I near center, reduce number of strokes for minute adjustment.

Bob Wright

I have a 629 that the POI is adout 3 to 4 “ high at 10yds .

Any answers will help thanks

A) Aim lower! :rolleyes:

B) accept that 10yds is pi..er..spitting distance and even adjustable sights usually won't compensate enough that close.

C) What bullet/what speed?? Forget the gorilla grip on the gun, it IS going to move under recoil and that does start before the bullet is out of the barrel. Gunmakers know this, and that's why the sights are the way they are.

D) lighter bullets (moving faster) leave the barrel sooner so it hasn't risen as much, and so strike lower on the target. This is almost the exact opposite of what bullets do fired from rifles, and is because of the way the guns are held.

E) what sight picture do you use? Center hold?? 6 O'clock hold?? Changin the way you line up and look through the sights matters.

I strongly recommend "holding off" before you put a file to your sights. I've NEVER filed sights, and won't. There is always some combination of load, adjustment, replacement of sights (not filing) or just holding off (aka Kentucky windage) to get you on target at any given distance.

Remember, if you zero at 10yds, you're NOT going to be properly "on" at other ranges. Factory zero is traditionally 25yds and has been since the 19th century.

Seriously, aim lower, or show less front sight in the notch, DON'T file S&W sights, there is a way to get on target without doing that. Might not be with the ammo you WANT or aiming the way you WANT, but life is like that, sometimes.

Changing bullet weight will probably make a lot more difference that changing velocity. I prefer choosing the bullet weight you want and adapting the revolver to suit, rather than going with a much lighter weight bullet than I wanted just to suit the gun. If you are 4 inches high at 10 yards, you will likely be 10 or more inches high at 25 yards. If you are using 240 grain bullets, then you absolutely need a taller front sight. I like a revolver to shoot high for a good 6 o'clock hold, but that's way too high.

I buy a Tall Blank Front Sight From Ruger and go to work .
Every Ruger SBH i ever had needed a taller front sight .

The OP has a S&W 629, not a Ruger.

FWIW, My Super Blackhawk does just fine with the factory front sight. Wonder why your's doesn't?? :rolleyes:

Shoot it at a longer distance (kind of joking). What is your sight picture?

1580865638622-901467885.jpg

And going from 180gr to 300gr will cause you to shoot higher.

My thoughts on this is the amount of muzzle rise from when the round is fired and when the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, a light hold on the gun will produce a higher point of impact(POI) and a firm hold on the gun will result in a lower POI. I have found this will equate a 2" variation in elevation at 15 yds in a 3" barrel 44 spl.
As is true with a heavier slower moving bullet spending more time in the barrel will likely have a higher POI than a lighter bullet with a similar recoil impulse at a higher velocity.

Last edited:
Adjusting or installing a new front sight does not appear to be an option , This 629-1 is an older model and as far as I can tell the front sight is fixed . No dove tail , screw or pin that I can see . Not even a crease or seam , I think I'm stuck with what I got .

Filing the rear sight is an option I considered and still might but that will be the last option I try . It almost looks like the rear sight blade is replaceable ?? If so I can get another one and file the crap out of it :D

I'm using primarily 240gr lead , platted and jacketed bullets . Just got some XTP's today so I'll be pulling out the h-110 this weekend .

Velocities are pretty much all over the map . I'll be shooting soon and will try to remember the chrono this time . I think a fair guestimate would be that I have loads using 240gr bullets at 900fps all the way up to pushing them real hard , maybe 1400+fps

Yeah the death grip is really not an option , it becomes less fun gripping the gun that tight . It is interesting that it does help though .

Shooting longer distances is what I do except during load development . I shoot at 50 and 100yds a lot but that's at 12" steel so it's hard to see the groups . It's a , you either hit it or you didn't type a thing though I can generally see the dirt fly up left , right , high , low . I'm not that good a shot at those distances so if it hits right or high , that doesn't really mean anything for me . That why I shoot at 10yds during load development and often resting my wrist on a bag .

Thanks for the replies so far

What does it do at 25-50 yards? Those are more typical of what that gun is intended for. I'd adjust my sight picture and learn where it hits.

You might want to consider a Bowen Classic Arms rough country rear sight. Not sure of current availability for your 629-1 but you can call to find out. They are offered with 3 different blade heights (which are individually available and inter changeable). I have one on an early M69 (L Frame .44 mag) that shot high with factory rear bottomed out.

https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=45

Here is a pic on my M69.

M69%20side%20view%20sights%20thumbnail_IMG_3972.jpg

Off a rest or free hand? DA or SA? What kind of grips? Real easy for some of us to pick up a flinch with 44 mag when not used to it. With revolvers there can be relatively large differences in poi between 240 gn bullets going 900 fps, and ones going 1300 fps. But not what you are experiencing.

I use a rest when working up loads and shoot at close distances . SA for load development and really most shooting but I tuned the trigger so DA is fun to shoot as well and I do that as well but not as much as SA . When and if I flinch it's almost always low POI as a result . I work on not flinching but will admit the 44mag can reintroduce you to a flinch for sure .

Grip ? I bought a couple to try out and the cheap Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves is the most comfortable by far so that's what's on it now .

It's not that difficult to make your existing front sight taller. All you really need is a slender round file, a short piece of similar diameter brass rod, silver-solder and flux, a propane soldering torch and a flat file.

It's not that difficult to make your existing front sight taller. All you really need is a slender round file, a short piece of similar diameter brass rod, silver-solder and flux, a propane soldering torch and a flat file.

Is that all ? LOL , That cracked me up , I have all that and "could" do it . However read that as if you've never used those materials before in that manner , still think it's easy haha . I've seen some pretty bad solder joints in my time , hell I've created a few my self ;)

Get someone else who’s a known good shot with heavy recoiling handguns to shoot the gun. I suspect that a lot of the problem is the shooter and the distance. Ten yards is way too close and it sounds like you’re a bit recoil sensitive (no shame there, it takes a LOT of rounds to get used to shooting full power 44mag loads). If it still shoots high with full power loads out of the hands of an experienced good shooter, send it back to SW. I had one one time that had the bbl installed incorrectly. Came back just fine.

I certainly can't exclude the issue being me but 3 of us shot it the other day and it shot high for all of use . Regardless I've been shooting for a long time and when I try I can shoot without a flinch no problem . I'll pay extra attention to that next time out which will either be this Monday or next .

The gun is new to me and I have no factory ammo for it . All I've been able to shoot are reloads during load development to date but now I have a couple loads worked up , I can take them with me and actually practice now .This should help with figuring a few things out I believe .

Thanks for the advice I'll pay extra attention to trigger flinch next time out .

Not sure if this will help your situation, but they make different rear sight blades. It’s been a number of years since I replaced one and I can’t remember where I got the one I replaced. It’s a minor pain to do but not too difficult. Probably some YouTube videos showing how.

Back in the day, I had a new S&W Model 29 with the 8⅜ barrel. One beautiful gun!

Unfortunately it shot low no matter what the sight adjustments, different factory ammo or hand loads with varied powders and bullets I tried. I was shooting several other lesser caliber Smith revolvers-- and a Ruger 44 magnum-- reasonably accurately so I don't think it was a pilot error issue.

I took the 29 back to the LGS where I bought it and their gunsmith said it was OK (yeah, right-- what else was he going to say!)

Eventually, I got tired of the gun and sold it. Despite the nice profit, I regret that decision :-(

Back