• 240gr Nosler JSP

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • 240gr Swift A-Frame

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 265gr Hornady Interlock

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sure, H-110, using 23.7 to 24.0 grains, but I verify the charge weight carefully and frequently when playing around the maximum charges. Also, 22 grains of Enforcer, if you can get that.

Sure, H-110, using 23.7 to 24.0 grains, but I verify the charge weight carefully and frequently when playing around the maximum charges. Also, 22 grains of Enforcer, if you can get that.
Thanks very much.

Yes, we can get Enforcer here. It's made in Belgium apparently.

Scrummy

I disagree. For deer any of those would get the job done, no problem. Boar on the other hand are tough. they have a "shield" that covers their vitals. It is similar to scar tissue/heavy leather and can be 1-2in thick. Not just any bullet will do, you need to lean towards a heavy game bullet that will hold together well..

LOL, that 44 mag 240 grn JSP will penetrate plenty. You sound as though you think they have armor plating.

LOL, that 44 mag 240 grn JSP will penetrate plenty. You sound as though you think they have armor plating.
They literally do, its called a shield, and it is 1-2in thick of scar like skin material over their vitals..... Its some tough stuff. When dealing with animals that can be hard to put down, and may attack you... better safe than sorry....

Update, just received an e-mail from BPI saying that they don't have the 44 mag rifle after all, even though it was listed in stock and I already paid for it. They did offer a 444 (which I already have) or a refund, so now I'm waiting on a refund. drat.

They literally do, its called a shield, and it is 1-2in thick of scar like skin material over their vitals..... Its some tough stuff. When dealing with animals that can be hard to put down, and may attack you... better safe than sorry....

The 240 grain 44 mag JSP is literally made for penetration. It will penetrate at least 2 feet of flesh and bone, especially from a carbine.

The 240 grain 44 mag JSP is literally made for penetration. It will penetrate at least 2 feet of flesh and bone, especially from a carbine.
According to noslers own description. "These bullets were built for extreme accuracy and reliable expansions at broad ranges." You will note that penetration is not listed in the description.

I will grant you it does say it's sporting bullets are good from everything from targets to hogs

Expanding bullets, like soft points, can over expand at high velocity. Such as is sometimes the case using handgun bullets in carbines. Also soft and hollow points you can lose a lot of bullet mass on expansion, especially if your pushing it on the fast side, not to mention core/jacket separation issues. This can greatly reduce penetration.

For me, for hog, a frame hands down.

Also, feel free to link testing or hunting vids of the nosler hitting 24in in gel, or a boar, in the vitals...

Last edited:
According to noslers own description. "These bullets were built for extreme accuracy and reliable expansions at broad ranges." You will note that penetration is not listed in the description.

I will grant you it does say it's sporting bullets are good from everything from targets to hogs

I stand corrected.

I was thinking of the older style JSP bullets. I have not loaded any for 40 years so I am sure the styles have changed. For penetrating hunting bullets I have been loading hard cast LSWC since the last box of JSP's I bought in the 1980's.

Just about any bullet from a 44 magnum carbine will work on Hogs, though I would stay away from light JHP's.

Not much boar hunting in the north and there was not much when I lived in Texas 25 years ago.

Hi folks,

Just as an update, I struggled with H110 to get a good set of groups despite several attempts - don't have any magnum primers (nor available nearby) and getting clean, consistent ignition just wasn't happening with resulting crappy groups. (Interestingly Hornady lists a Large Pistol Primer with H110 and the 240gr JSP - though pretty much every other source I have found lists H110 with Magnum primers)

However, looks like N110 is working.

Shot this as part of a ladder:

raNYXCJl.jpg

4 shots, think top right might have been me. Bit more testing to do with same load but I like it so far.

Scrummy

Back