• 240gr Nosler JSP

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • 240gr Swift A-Frame

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 265gr Hornady Interlock

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Question to the OP.....what is the manufacture of your .44 lever rifle?

The 1-20" twist rate description of the OP's .44 has caught my eye. Most all the traditional .44 mag lever carbines (and the original Ruger semi .44) were twisted 1-38" and gave so-so accuracy in many examples. The faster twist rate of 1-20" is more in line with revolver twist rates and was used by Ruger in their model 96 and 99 carbines before they went defunct. I don't know what twist rate was used in the last of the Marlin levers.

The .44/265gr brought the .444 Marlin up to its true potential. The lighter slugs were far better suited to .44 mag velocities. If I had a .44 mag carbine with a 1-20" twist, I'd shoot 240 gr JHP for deer. The 240 gr slug is a chunk of lead, and I cannot imagine it not passing thru a whitetail on a broadside shot. If I felt I needed more penetration, I'd opt for a JSP. Big (200 lb plus) hogs are tough, but they are not bullet proof.
Hi bamaranger,

It's a 20" barrel, 1:20" twist Chiappa Alaskan.

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Hoping to develop a plinking load (240gr cast lead RNFP and Unique is current favourite but not so keen on how unique measures) and a hunting load. For the hunting load, Thinking 240 gr Nosler JSP or maybe Swift A-Frame / 265gr Hornady over H110 which I have some of or N110 which is still relatively obtainable and cheaper here.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Viht's current online data for the 240gr Hornady JTC-Sil is 20.4-22.1 which is a 1.7gr range.

My VihtaVuori manual is a older copy maybe 20 years old .
The manual has a starting load of 19.9 and max of 21.7 useing N110 .
Just me but i do not care for a powder that close to start and max loads .
I have a pound of N110 that a dealer gave me some time ago i will not use it .
The powder (N110) is temperature sensitive as in my manual .

I shoot a bunch of unique and 240gr. lead bullets .
My load in handguns is 10.2 and like it

Viht's current online data for the 240gr Hornady JTC-Sil is 20.4-22.1 which is a 1.7gr range.

My VihtaVuori manual is a older copy maybe 20 years old .
The manual has a starting load of 19.9 and max of 21.7 useing N110 .
Just me but i do not care for a powder that close to start and max loads .
I have a pound of N110 that a dealer gave me some time ago i will not use it .
The powder (N110) is temperature sensitive as in my manual .

I shoot a bunch of unique and 240gr. lead bullets .
My load in handguns is 10.2 and like it
Hi Keybear,

N110 is a bit temp sensitive but so are all the H110, 2400, W296 type powders. N110 is at least single based so likely to be a bit less so.

Certainly H110 is rarely seen with more than a 1.0gr spread (Both Nosler and Hodgdon quote the 240gr JSP with only a 1.0gr spread).

I hear what you are saying with a 10.2 gr load but that has no hope of making the muzzle energy requirements I need unfortunatley (I quite often plink with a 240gr RNFP and about 6.5gr of Unique)

H110 is one of the best powders as is 296 that I preferred at a time when win was winchester brand. As far as bullets I've always like the 210 class of weight for my pistol. As I manually H.P. 240 cast to 210 weight. 240gr. jacketed weight gave the best accuracy in my rifles. (Ruger 44 mag semi & Win 94 Trapper.) Sold the Regan era Trapper and gave the Ruger to my son for his brace of hunting rifles.
As of Christmas the Ruger long ago became a safe queen according to my son. To be honest if interested in a straight wall rifle cartridge. I would rather have a 45-70 or 500 SW big bore than a 44 mag.

Took a quick glance a ITAR. Its not "ammunition" just a component with no explosive(primer) or propellant. Also as it is already commercially available there , there should be no export or import restrictions on the item itself, just logistics issues to get it there. But if you know more feel free to fill in....
DDTC (ITAR) handed off sub 50 cal "conventional components" to the Dept of Commerce for Import/export control, but buying direct from a manufacturer may very well require licensed import receiver by American law. The manufacturer should be able to tell you that pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Scrumbag

In a 4.5/8 Ruger SUPER BLACKHAWK 10.2gr. of Unique is 890 fps .
Out of a 20 inch barrel you will be pushing a lead bullet very fast .
(It Better be hard)

H110 is one of the best powders as is 296 that I preferred at a time when win was winchester brand. As far as bullets I've always like the 210 class of weight for my pistol. As I manually H.P. 240 cast to 210 weight. 240gr. jacketed weight gave the best accuracy in my rifles. (Ruger 44 mag semi & Win 94 Trapper.) Sold the Regan era Trapper and gave the Ruger to my son for his brace of hunting rifles.
As of Christmas the Ruger long ago became a safe queen according to my son. To be honest if interested in a straight wall rifle cartridge. I would rather have a 45-70 or 500 SW big bore than a 44 mag.
I hear you buddy and I know people like H110. Just it isn't easy to get here and is running nearly twice the cost of N110 when you can find the Hodgdon stuff.

Scrummy

Scrumbag

In a 4.5/8 Ruger SUPER BLACKHAWK 10.2gr. of Unique is 890 fps .
Out of a 20 inch barrel you will be pushing a lead bullet very fast .
(It Better be hard)
Keybear, I hear where you are coming from but the hunting laws where I am require an ME of 1,700ftlbs to be legal for our larger deer species. For a 240gr bullet I need to get an MV 1,786 fps.

Unique just won't get there and where I am hard cast lead just isn't such a thing to buy and I certainly can't cast it. I started this thread with some very specific questions for a reason ;)

BTW--I just got CVA's 2021 catalog e-mailed and they had a 44 mag hunter single-shot available for just over $200--I snapped one up cause the 444 marlin hunter I have is a superlative shooter and I suspect (hope) this one will be too.

BTW Scrummy--that is a magnificent looking rifle.;)

23.8 grs H110 240 Nosler jsp shot through my 16" Rossi

attachment.php

Attachments

• H110NSL240JSP_zps1bc8e85f.jpg
    H110NSL240JSP_zps1bc8e85f.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
BTW--we're a bit short on sympathy for "hard to find powders"--because NOTHING is available here in the US!!;)
Oh I understand my friend. We can get the European powders but if you are used to using US stuff you are out of luck.

We understand from the importers that basically until the panic buying in the US stops / purchasing returns to normal levels, consumers outside the US are getting nothing.

Have a look at Viht powders. N140 is a really useful powder for a lot of things if you are missing Varget.

Scrummy

BTW--I just got CVA's 2021 catalog e-mailed and they had a 44 mag hunter single-shot available for just over $200--I snapped one up cause the 444 marlin hunter I have is a superlative shooter and I suspect (hope) this one will be too.

BTW Scrummy--that is a magnificent looking rifle.;)
Happy shooting my friend and thanks for the compliment. Like a lot of my guns, they look prettier than I do and can outshoot me as well ;)

Scrummy

Last edited:
If you can get it, IMR-4227 is a good powder for this application. There is an Australian version of it; I don't recall what they call it, but it's imported into the USA by Hodgdon, and they labeled it H-4227 at first, then IMR-4227.

pics

Just saw the pics of the Chiappa Alaskan, very nice. And, as I noted earlier, they got the twist rate right with the 1-20". I was not aware that their carbine was offered with same. The takedown feature seems appealing as well.

Best of luck with your new carbine.

If you can get it, IMR-4227 is a good powder for this application. There is an Australian version of it; I don't recall what they call it, but it's imported into the USA by Hodgdon, and they labeled it H-4227 at first, then IMR-4227.
I have a strong suspicion we can't get that sadly.

Scrummy

Just saw the pics of the Chiappa Alaskan, very nice. And, as I noted earlier, they got the twist rate right with the 1-20". I was not aware that their carbine was offered with same. The takedown feature seems appealing as well.

Best of luck with your new carbine.
It's a fun little rifle.

Only thing I'm less sure about is the large lever loop. I get it if you are wearing a folded back mitten but that just isn't that likely I'm going to wear one. I'm tempted to look at replacing it with either a classic profile one or maybe one of those "modern hunter" which are a fatter loop but still have a the flat face.

I'm also tempted to put an XS sight at the back of the receiver asirons are fun but with my eyesight unless it's a peep right back by my eye I struggle.

Scrummy

Last edited:
Hi @44caliberkid

That might not be a bad idea though because of hunting regs where I am I need to have a muzzle energy of 1,700 ftlbs and therefore a minimum of MV of 1,786fps with a 240gr bullet. I worry a bit that the XTP and the Sierra JHC being hollow point / cavity might struggle a bit with the impact velocities that leads to.

Scrummy
The 240 XTP works great as a hunting bullet in rifles. I load them with H-110 or 2400 and get 1800 fps (+or - 5 fps) out of Ruger 16 inch carbine. Every deer shot with it has dropped in its tracks when hit in the heart/ lungs, big exit wound with the rifle, but using an 8 inch Raging Bull, I've recovered bullets just under the skin on the exit side that were perfectly mushroomed and 90% still there. I've never had to track a deer shot with an XTP.

The 240 XTP works great as a hunting bullet in rifles. I load them with H-110 or 2400 and get 1800 fps (+or - 5 fps) out of Ruger 16 inch carbine. Every deer shot with it has dropped in its tracks when hit in the heart/ lungs, big exit wound with the rifle, but using an 8 inch Raging Bull, I've recovered bullets just under the skin on the exit side that were perfectly mushroomed and 90% still there. I've never had to track a deer shot with an XTP.
That’s good to know, thanks. Would you be kind enough to share load data? PM fine if you prefer and I understand I use at my own risk

Back