• 240gr Nosler JSP

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • 240gr Swift A-Frame

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 265gr Hornady Interlock

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, let's hope with a 20" barrel I can get most of the powder burned. (Especially with a magnum primer and a fairly heavy crimp).

I might end of transferring to N110 as it is about 1/2 the price of H110 currently. And still kinda available.

I never used N110 but some other powders from this maker . Get the data from the maker if you can . I have a manual for it some of the powders need extra care to use . (very unforgiven )

Well, let's hope with a 20" barrel I can get most of the powder burned. (Especially with a magnum primer and a fairly heavy crimp).

I might end of transferring to N110 as it is about 1/2 the price of H110 currently. And still kinda available.

I never used N110 but some other powders from this maker . Get the data from the maker if you can . I have a manual for it some of the powders need extra care to use . (very unforgiven )
Yes I am trying to find a trusted data source.

Viht publish data for the 240 gr Hornady JTC-Sil. That bullet is very similar in profile to the Nosler 240gr JSP.

Also I think N110 is a bit more forgiving than H110 as more scope for working up (tends to have a larger min-max range).

Scrummy

GRS. VEL.(FT/S) PRESS.
23.0 1,750 25,200 CUP
MAXIMUM LOADS
GRS. VEL.(FT/S) .
24.0 1817 PRESS 36,200 C

This is the Data from Hornady and N110 with a 240 XTP . I have used Win 296 for years VihtaVuori N110 powder gives a small window less then 2.gr .
Please look it up for yourself .

For deer and boar, it simply doesn't matter. A plain jane Remington 240 grain JSP will sail right through a deer and wreck innards in the process.

For deer and boar, it simply doesn't matter. A plain jane Remington 240 grain JSP will sail right through a deer and wreck innards in the process.
I disagree. For deer any of those would get the job done, no problem. Boar on the other hand are tough. they have a "shield" that covers their vitals. It is similar to scar tissue/heavy leather and can be 1-2in thick. Not just any bullet will do, you need to lean towards a heavy game bullet that will hold together well...

That's an interesting take. I will see how obtainable the Swifts are.

Currently Brownells.co.uk have them listed at £80.75 = $113.11 for 50. Swift's website is charging $61.00 / 50.

I know the UK is a smaller market than the US and there are costs associated with import but frankly that is just not a funny joke. I wonder if there is a "grey" import route...

Scrummy
you may be able to order directly from swift. Or see if you can find someone in the US to purchase, then international ship to you.

Be careful about that. You might run afoul of ITAR regulations.
Took a quick glance a ITAR. Its not "ammunition" just a component with no explosive(primer) or propellant. Also as it is already commercially available there , there should be no export or import restrictions on the item itself, just logistics issues to get it there. But if you know more feel free to fill in....

Took a quick glance a ITAR. Its not "ammunition" just a component with no explosive(primer) or propellant. Also as it is already commercially available there , there should be no export or import restrictions on the item itself, just logistics issues to get it there. But if you know more feel free to fill in....
I think there are 2 bits to this.

1) What ITAR actually said
2) What people are actually willing to do which tends to be more restrictive as they want to avoid touching ITAR

Scrummy

I would vote for hand-cast bullets first, but if you must have jacketed bullets, you ought to try the Speer 270 grain bullets a chance, if you can get them.

I would vote for hand-cast bullets first, but if you must have jacketed bullets, you ought to try the Speer 270 grain bullets a chance, if you can get them.
Yeah, I think will have to be jacketed and sadly Speer bullets can be a bit difficult to obtain here.

I like the look of the 270gr Speer. I'm guessing that is what Federal are using in their "Hammerdown" rifle ammunition line?

Scrummy

The 265 gr Interlock is not cataloged. The 265 FTX is listed, but not the Interlock. Might be time to try something a little different.
I ordered some of those CE for my 444; they are a little tricky in seating because the drive band has to be in the right place. I'm too scared to do a whole ladder at their price point! ;)

GRS. VEL.(FT/S) PRESS.
23.0 1,750 25,200 CUP
MAXIMUM LOADS
GRS. VEL.(FT/S) .
24.0 1817 PRESS 36,200 C

This is the Data from Hornady and N110 with a 240 XTP . I have used Win 296 for years VihtaVuori N110 powder gives a small window less then 2.gr .
Please look it up for yourself .
Sorry Keybear, 2.0 gr window?

Sorry Keybear, 2.0 gr window?

I guess that is good or bad not sure what sorry is ?
I got the Data from Hornady starting load 23.0 max load 24.0 N110
The VihtaVuori manual is the same for N110

1-20"

Question to the OP.....what is the manufacture of your .44 lever rifle?

The 1-20" twist rate description of the OP's .44 has caught my eye. Most all the traditional .44 mag lever carbines (and the original Ruger semi .44) were twisted 1-38" and gave so-so accuracy in many examples. The faster twist rate of 1-20" is more in line with revolver twist rates and was used by Ruger in their model 96 and 99 carbines before they went defunct. I don't know what twist rate was used in the last of the Marlin levers.

The .44/265gr brought the .444 Marlin up to its true potential. The lighter slugs were far better suited to .44 mag velocities. If I had a .44 mag carbine with a 1-20" twist, I'd shoot 240 gr JHP for deer. The 240 gr slug is a chunk of lead, and I cannot imagine it not passing thru a whitetail on a broadside shot. If I felt I needed more penetration, I'd opt for a JSP. Big (200 lb plus) hogs are tough, but they are not bullet proof.

Back