.41 Magnum Lever Action

My sincere apologies if I misunderstood you--I thought you were agreeing with the idea that the 41 was reduntant by your comments above (like "Well you're the one who said he didn't understand the purpose of 99.5% of all cartridges on the market. I just happen to agree with you.")

No problem stagpanther. I don't think Mike Irwin or I either one had singled out the 41 mag. We were just commenting on why there are so many calibers that don' really do anything new or different. Thats why I mentioned the SM and SSUM rounds that came out a few years ago and were a flash in the pan but now everyone that bought rifles for those rounds struggle to find ammo or componants. And they didn't do one thing better than the already existing rounds.

'Does the 22 mag render the 22 LR useless? Does the new 17 HMR render both of them useless? just because a cartridge may have some over-lap with others doesn't mean it may not have additional advantages for the shooter--and that is the case with the 41 mag as well.'

No.

The .22 Hornet renders them all useless.

:cool:

Speaking of .22 magnums and lever guns, I was on Green Mountain's web site looking for something and I believe he had a closeout on tapered octagon .22 Magnum barrels listed.

Henry makes brass engraved with high figure wood in both 357, 44, and 45 Colt.

Will they do the same for 41 or is it just a limited distributor run as is? For that matter, will they make both a blue and a brass 41?

I don't have any Henry's--though I've often looked at them and thought about it-- and the only one that appeals to me is their "no nonsense" 357 mag in all-steel black with better sites than the traditional buckhorns and pre-drilled for scope mounts--and it looks to me that's the one they simply upped the caliber on for the 41 mag. That one I would buy.

Pretty much exactly the way I want it--though I'm not sure how much of a significant gain 20" gets you over 18 or 16--I don't mind sacrificing a wee bit of velocity for easier handling in a shorter barrel--and for a caliber I'm not likely to be shooting anything over 200 yds I doubt that would make much difference. I still haven't been able to find anyone in the NE willing to take a pre-order, or more specifically any of their distributors willing to do so.

My issue is...

The Henry rifles just don't look.... right... to me. Proportionally, they just grate on me, for some reason, and I can't put my finger on why.

The Henry rifles just don't look.... right... to me. Proportionally, they just grate on me, for some reason, and I can't put my finger on why.
Don't be getting all quiche lorain zinfandel on us!:D (I was going to say "thus speaks the man who would throw Raquel Welch out of bed") LOL

The Henry Rifles don't "look right" because we are too used to having a wooden fore end and the King loading gate on CF lever action rifles.
I don't see the purpose of 99% of available rounds. I don't see the purpose of purchasing bottled water when tap water tastes just as good, especially when it's been chilled. But if other people enjoy it and are willing to pay for it....

I prefer 20" so you can load and shoot an even 10 rounds at a time.

I also prefer the tube loading. That loading gate pinches the thumb every time.

I love my 2 Henrys. One or the other makes every range trip.

"The Henry Rifles don't "look right" because we are too used to having a wooden fore end and the King loading gate on CF lever action rifles."

No, that has nothing to do with it. It's something else.

"I was going to say "thus speaks the man who would throw Raquel Welch out of bed""

When someone makes a Raquel Welch that looks as good as a Savage 99, then I'll keep it in bed.

Henry's a Henry, load through the tube, muzzle up, keeping in tradition with the original. I saw in the ad that it weighed 7 lbs., which seemed a bit heavy to me. So, I took out my Marlin M94S (.41 mag) and weighed it. Fully loaded with 10 rounds in the tube via the gate, it weighed 6 and 3/4ths lbs. 10 rounds of my .41 hand loads weigh right at a 1/2 lb. This info is totally one of those FWIW deals, and just as a curious comparison; mileage may vary... and nothing that would deter me from buying a .41 Henry if I was in the market.

I lug everything from 3 lb bows to 11 lb AR 10's into the woods--I'll survive--it's just the extra weight and length will extract a small time penalty in getting steady for the shot.

I think we're getting our rifles confused.

I'm talking about rifles manufactured by Henry Repeating Arms company, not the early Henry Rifle and its current reproductions.

I think we're getting our rifles confused.

I'm talking about rifles manufactured by Henry Repeating Arms company, not the early Henry Rifle and its current reproductions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
You mean--this new company's rifles ain't got a dern thing to do with the original and therefore they aren't authentic?

Henry's a Henry, load through the tube, muzzle up, keeping in tradition with the original. I saw in the ad that it weighed 7 lbs., which seemed a bit heavy to me. So, I took out my Marlin M94S (.41 mag) and weighed it. Fully loaded with 10 rounds in the tube via the gate, it weighed 6 and 3/4ths lbs. 10 rounds of my .41 hand loads weigh right at a 1/2 lb. This info is totally one of those FWIW deals, and just as a curious comparison; mileage may vary... and nothing that would deter me from buying a .41 Henry if I was in the market.

Disregard this double post thing. I got a phone call and lost track on the posting situation; sidetracked with my TMB condition... (Too Many Birthdays). I'd still buy the Henry if I didn't have the Marlin already.

OK here's the logic that I think eludes a lot of posters: This offering by Henry is THE ONLY OPTION to get a 41 mag lever gun in a new commercial production lever gun. There are a great many shooters who like the 41 mag--however self-delusional they may be--and Henry IS THE ONLY company willing to satisfy that demand. From my perspective--this is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and Henry should be lavished praise for answering the call.:)

Back