.41 Magnum Lever Action

ThomasT

For all you .41 magnum fans I saw in the new Henry catalog that for 2016 they are bringing out a .41 magnum rifle. It is not shown on its website yet.

It has a 1/18.75 twist with 20" barrel. The weight is shown as 7 pounds. Model # H012M41.

How cool is that? I've got a Marlin, Model 1894S in .41 Rem. Mag. and love the thing. Kudos to the Henry folks for the new addition!

It is on their site presently.The Big Boy Steel-man I sure would like one of these.It would go great with my Redhawk in .41 mag.Retail is showing at $850.00-but I would imagine it could be purchased for a bit cheaper at the right place.

The 41 Magnum is a caliber that I don't really understand. Anything it can do the 44 can do about 15% better. I think there is a wider selection of bullets available for loading. Not sure what niche the 41 fills that isn't done better by the 44.

Of course, I say this as I own not one but two 41 Magnum revolvers. But I bought each because of the platform, not because of the caliber.

Back around 1989 I saw a dealer unloading police trade in Model 58s for $189 and bought one as a curiosity. About 10 years ago I was looking for a 4" nickel M29 and found a 57 at a great price and bought it instead.

I know a lot of guys swear by the 41 but the reasoning eludes me.

In a revolver 41 is fun to shoot. 44 magnum is not.

Ammo availability is the only problem with 41.

I sold off my last 41 mag about 10 years ago. I had two ruger blackhawks and A S&W model 57. I am like saxon, just never saw any advantage over the 44 mag.

I always liked Skeeter Skelton's article's back in those days when he was still with us. I had a copy of his "Handgun Tales" that I wish I never borrowed out back in the 80's. Even if you can find a copy, the price is pretty dear. Skeeter was a proponent of the .41 R.M.

Here's a pretty good little article:

www.americanhandgunner.com/the-14-magnum-tu

Recoil with 41 magnum in a single action revolver is noticably less than 44 magnum. In an N frame S&W double action revolver the difference is not nearly as noticable.

Evidently, the Henry folks figured there was a niche for the .41 in their product line. Good for them, and why not? Seems like when you think there couldn't be another rifle caliber needed, a half dozen more come out on the market in a factory offering, and I say that's a fine thing, indeed. At the very least, it sure makes for interesting threads on this site. No?

I've got the Marlin M94 I mentioned earlier in this thread, and it goes along with the NM Blackhawk in .41 RM I've had since the early 80's. I reload for it (and the Marlin, too), and love the thing. My handloads are used in both guns.

I had a work buddy who had a Super Blackhawk with a 10" barrel (I think it was 10 inches, as it was a Buntline looking thing) that I got to shoot one day with him. It also had the hard rubber Pachmayr "checkered" grips on it, and he had a fingerless leather glove he used when shooting it. Right before he gave it to me to shoot, he said I might want to use the glove, but I braved it and shot a cylinder-full bare handed. I knew right off that I didn't care for the .44 mag, and that's the last time I ever shot one. That was at least 30 years ago. My NMB Ruger .41 has the 6" barrel, and has just the factory grips on it, and I can shoot it just about as much as I care to when I take it out. It also has a Super Blackhawk hammer on it, which makes operating it quite a bit nicer, more streamlined in the holster, and looks really cool, to boot.

I never have been any kind of a dedicated handgunner, but I've shot my Ruger enough to feel comfortably secure packing it when I don't carry a rifle in the mountains while hiking or backpacking. At 10 or 15 feet, if it has to be used in a bad scenario (God forbid, but Bill Ruger protect me), and I have the time to come into any kind of shooting position, it's gonna hurt a lot on the receiving end after the flash. That being typed out here, I'm just fine with never having to find myself in a position like that...

Packing that handy little Marlin carbine around in the field is a joy for sure, and I think it's great the Henry folks are making that new .41 available to anyone with a S&W or Ruger who wants a rifle to go with it. I had to hunt a long time to find that Marlin I own, as they're kind of scarce. Had I not found one years ago, I'd no doubt be looking seriously at the Henry. And that's just my opinion. Again, kudos to the Henry folks!

Well, I bought a .41 mag just because I didn't have one, but I've found it fills a niche for me. You can fire a full house load from a reasonably light weight Blackhawk comfortably with the .41. I haven't tried an old non-Super Blackhawk in .44 mag, but I do load my .45 Colt Blackhawk to similar levels. Can't call those rounds comfortable. Now, from my Redhawk, the .44 mag is a pleasure to shoot. So, if you want a good hunting handgun in a lighter standard Blackhawk, the .41 mag is one to consider. Shooting a rifle, none of these generates enough recoil to be a bother, so probably no advantage to the .41 there. But if you're a .41 revolver man, why not get a rifle to match.

Absolutely; why not a Henry? Nice looking guns for sure. My wife has a Golden Boy in .22 lr, and it's a beautiful thing (so's she!) I got that Henry for her a number of years ago for Christmas, and that was back when they still made them in Brooklyn, NY. I remember getting that .22 for $210 bucks, NIB. Don't think you could find a used one for that these days. If you haven't seen the Big Boy Steels, check 'em out below.

www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel

I have identical Ruger revolvers, one in 41 mag and one in 42.9 mag. I have found nothing the 42.9 mag can do that the 41 mag cannot. If it had not been for the Dirty Harry movies the 42.9 mag would be a thing of the past. It doesn't fill any void between the 41 mag and the 45colt. It's just a passing fad.

I think I'm going to have to have this rifle.
Me too--been on my fantasy most-wanted rifle caliber for years--a dream come true! (wish it was a bit lighter though). Lipsey's says it will also shoot 357/38 spc.

Last edited:
Me too--been on my fantasy most-wanted rifle caliber for years--a dream come true! (wish it was a bit lighter though). Lipsey's says it will also shoot 357/38 spc.

A rifle that is chambered for .41 Magnum will also fire .38/.357??? Something sounds amiss here...

If Lipsey's is saying that, then they are being highly irresponsible, IMO, unless I'm missing something. :confused:

Quote:
A rifle that is chambered for .41 Magnum will also fire .38/.357??? Something sounds amiss here...

If Lipsey's is saying that, then they are being highly irresponsible, IMO, unless I'm missing something.
SIFE
That's what I thought--I think they probably meant also available in those calibers--but here's the link:

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=HNH012M41

That's got to be a cut & paste mistake or more likely they used the 357 as a template and didn't catch it.

I have a 357 big boy steel and a 44 brass big boy. The brass big boy is a pound heavier because of the octagon barrel. I love them both and they are the smoothest levers I own and 100% reliable. Also they are strong being modeled on the Marlin 336 so shooting heavy specialty ammo is no problem. Oh yes, and they are American made. Some dislike the tube loading, I actually prefer it. And no lawyer engineering goofy extraneous safety like Marlin or most new Winchesters.

Back