.380 pistol or .38 special revolver

The KT P11 or Glock G26 is about the same size a weight as a 442 and carries twice the ammo. For true pocket carry the .380 or .32 ACP is the clear winner.

My loaded G26 is more than 50% heavier (25 oz vs 16) than my loaded 642. While the G26 does have more capacity and fires a slightly more potent round, the weight difference is significant to me for pocket carry. The shape of the 642 also lends itself to being drawn from a pocket easier than a G26. I normally carry the G26 exclusively in an OWB holster but the 642 gets time in a pocket holster as well as OWB.

On the other hand, the G26 is only 14% heavier than my loaded model 60. In my opinion, the three ounce difference between the model 60 and the G26 isn't worth giving up five loaded rounds.

I pick .38 special over .380. Nothing against the .380 semi-autos, just I'm more comfortable with a revolver and when it comes to self defense, you need to go with what you are most comfortable with.

I have no problems concealing my .357 2.25" SP101. Most days I put it in a DeSantis OWB thumb break scabbard (requires cover garment/jacket though).

If I need to conceal it more thoroughly, I use a DeSantis "The Insider" IWB deep conceal holster. Not as quick on the draw as my OWB holster, but conceals nicely. I noticed that DeSantis's website doesn't list the SP101 for this holster. I picked it up locally at my LGS and the package was labeled "Custom". Maybe the store ordered them special order??

Here is my "Insider"

Here is an example of how it carries. I think you can see how you can make a snub nose hide well with the right holster. (don't mind the paint on my belt... it was on my honey-do list! lol)

.380 pistol with 6 rounds or a small .38 special revolver such as the S&W 642 with 5 rounds for concealed carry? Your choice?

Well, the increasing availability and popularity of the newer .380 pistols has certainly reawakened interest in the cartridge. ;)

My answer?

Sure, one or the other, depending on owner preferences (lawful concealment) and familiarity (skillset shooting either).

Both are pretty much at the lower, marginal end of personal defensive weapon options, with a slight advantage probably going to the .38 Spl for the heavier bullet weight options and development of modern defensive bullets/loads.

I've been a DA/DAO snub revolver shooter for some years, and presently own (8) 5-shot snubs (only 3 of which are steel).

I picked up my first .380 in more than 25 years back in 2012, a blued Ruger LCP (picked over the laser-equipped and slightly larger S&W Bodyguard .380). Handy little .380, to be sure. Fits and conceals in some front pants pockets which won't hold and conceal my snubs.

I just picked up a newer stainless LCP (after reconsidering the new M&P Bodyguard, without a laser, and the Glock G42 (far too large for my needs). I haven't had the chance to get it to the range to confirm feeding & functioning with my assortment of JHP's, yet, but initial inspection shows it to have much better sights and trigger pull.

The sights are larger (taller), more easily picked up by my eyes, and that distracting recessed notch under the rear sight is gone, replaced by the smooth bevel of the rear of the slide. Cleaner and faster to see with my eyes.

The trigger is surprisingly shorter and lighter, to the feel (haven't measure it or gauged the pull weight). I'll probably continue to use my older LCP for practice, along with my assortment of J-frames, of course. Continuing to run the little pocket guns with the heavier triggers will probably make the new LCP seem even easier to shoot when it gets used for quals/drills.

The only way to develop and maintain skills with the little guns that have a lot of recoil snap & muzzle whip is to shoot them, and the littlest of the newer .380's probably aren't as easy for many folks to shoot as larger, heavier .380's or revolvers.

Now, when it comes time to ring steel at 30-50yds, or I want to use some heavier loads (+P or Magnum), I can get easier, faster shot strings on-target using my 5-shot snubs at longer distance. I like to double check and assess my skillset at longer distances, looking for any degradation or bad habits, and shooting at longer distances helps me do that. (Meaning it's unforgiving compared to close range shooting.)

The LCP's can run fine, though, for my needs, at 1-10yds for drills and quals.

Today I've got to make a run over the hill to my credit union, and then up the peninsula to meet a friend at a cigar lounge. The weather is going to be warm (75) and I'm not planning to wear a shirt that would easily cover a belt scabbard or IWB snub ... so the very pocketable (holstered) LCP gets the duty in my jeans with shorter/tighter front pockets.

I'm old enough, and I've carried an off-duty & retirement CCW long enough, that I don't feel the need to constantly wear a larger belt gun anymore. The low-powered (relatively speaking) .38's & .380's suit my needs well enough for most of my daily activities.

Of course, I'm not trying to make either caliber into something it's not, meaning I don't expect it to necessarily "equal" the performance standards of the larger, more powerful duty/service size calibers (9, .40 & .45).

While 3 of my snubs are chambered in .357 Magnum, the only one I regularly use with Magnums is the SP101 DAO, and it's at the "belt-gun" end of the CCW scale for me. In my opinion, it pretty much eclipses the .380 & .38 +P loads used in my other lighter guns.

When a 5-shot snub fits snugly in a front pants pocket, it's typically one of my pair of 642-1's or M&P 340's, loaded with any of a handful of +P loads I've found acceptable for my use.

It's nice to have options. ;)

For about the same size firearm, you can have a .357 and have the capability to shoot even more powerful rounds. Plus, if you reload your own ammo, it's nice not having to bend down and get your brass off the ground. :)

I believe that Ruger makes at least one model of their revolvers in .38 and .357, but other than a slightly deeper chamber, they are identical. As such, you could buy the .38 and handload it to .357 levels. There's only 0.04" difference in OAL between the .38 and .357 cartridges per SAAMI specs. You might want to do that if you were living in an area that allowed .38s, but did not allow .357s (Mexico was that way at one time).

The only reason to have the .380 is for deep concealment in my opinion. Personally, I don't need such deep concealment since I live in Texas and we only need to be *legally* concealed, not *absolutely* concealed.

I sometimes carry a 7-shot .357 revolver. There are some 8-shot ones these days though.

I carry both at the same time.
My model 36 on my hip, and LCP in my back pocket.
+ a quickstrip, and spare magazine in my watch pocket.
That's pretty much my daily carry.

Another advantage of a revolver is that if you have to shoot something, you don't leave brass around. If I'm out at the local sandpit shooting, I always police my brass so that I don't leave evidence that I've been there. It's just a matter of cleaning up after yourself. You should leave the property in as close to the condition that it was when you arrived if at all possible. If not, someone will complain and that will be one less place where you can go shoot.

I can make a great argument either way. I've carried the same 642 as a BUG for 25 years.

But, there's also something to be said for my P232. Alloy frame, weighs about the same, very flat and, 8 shots.

I think you need to seperate the tiny Keltec .380 variety from the "full size" (kind of an oxymoron) Sig P232, Walther PP and Colt 1908's. I think in those barrel lengths, a .380, though certainly not the hammer of death, does do a decent enough job.

I need to get out with a chrono.

An Officer Model M1911 is pretty concealable as far as I'm concerned. I do not own any .380 firearms and don't think I would carry one if I did. If I need really deep concealment, then a NAA .22 mag might do -- I would just consider it a longer range ice pick. I have a CZ-75 Compact that is pretty concealable for me and a Taurus PT-111. Maybe not as small as some of the .380s, but if it gets much smaller than that, my big hands have trouble holding it anyway. Mainly though, I carry a .45 or a 10mm. Lately, I've been carrying a double stack M1911 subcompact. 10+1 mag in the gun and a 14-round mag in a pocket.

I would like to ask the guys that discount the 380 for self defense, what are you basing your opinion on ? How many of you have been shot in the chest at close range with one ? How many of you have seen the results of an actual shooting where a 380 was used ?
I do not have any scientific evidence that is why I am asking these questions.

I prefer my LCR to my LCP, but the LCP is enough smaller and lighter that it gets the nod some days. I probably carry my LC9s pro as much or more than both of the others put together.

rebs, it looks like some of it might be more psychological or superstitious on our parts. For instance, notice how I say that I "feel" more comfortable with one over the other. Still, my experience with small .38 revolvers versus small .380s, understanding that the J-Frames and LCR are generally bigger, has built much more confidence in reliability and effective use for the revolvers. Having casually shot water jugs, phone books, scrap materials, etc... I don't recall a huge damage difference with standard-pressure stuff. I haven't done much of that with .38 +p so I can't comment on that.

I would like to ask the guys that discount the 380 for self defense, what are you basing your opinion on ? How many of you have been shot in the chest at close range with one ? How many of you have seen the results of an actual shooting where a 380 was used ?
I do not have any scientific evidence that is why I am asking these questions.

In Greg Ellifritz' study of handgun stopping power the .380 auto actually faired pretty well compared to other calibers:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

The main issue I would have is that .380 auto JHP loads have been rather notoriously unreliable at expansion, so much so that Dr Gary Roberts did not recommend any .380 auto loads for self-defense:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#380

This may have changed recently as there appear to be some .380 JHP loads that expand reliably (at least in ballistic gel) while still maintaining adequate penetration.

But the question posed by the OP was which would you prefer for self defense: a .38 revolver or a .380 semi-automatic pistol. I would prefer the revolver primarily because it offered the option of using 38 Sp P + ammunition. I have more confidence in the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain 38 Special P + to perform reliably than I do any .380 load.

After many years of searching for the perfect one, I started out with a model 60 J-Frame, Chief's Special , 38 special. about 1969. Figured there had to be something better ..... then went through all the semi-autos from 45 acp to 32 acp, Colt , Walther , Berretta that I could lay my hands on and try out, always looking for something better ......Well after all those years , the winner for me is the J-Frame Airweight , 38 special. Yep, came full circle, wasted all that time looking , just to end up with the same thing I started out with.
The Airweight is lighter than the all steel Chief's Special but that's about the only difference.
38 special S&W Airweight J-frame of your choice...mine is a model 637 because I like to have the choice of single or double action shooting.
Gary

The .380 (or mini-9mm) reduces the frame size in width, but does not have the energy like the .38 cal. For conceal carry, you really do not need more than 4-6 rounds to stop a close assailant. The revolver, by it's nature is heavy, but more or less fail-safe as a double action option. Then you need to consider the ammo to stop the oncoming danger. Hornady Critical Duty will do you well. Semi-autos can jam on feed or in ejecting, preventing the next fire until it is cleared of the jam.

I personally would recommend the new Ruger LC9s (striker-fire) for concealment and action, mostly because it is 7+1 in 9mm. If I only had a revolver, that would suffice for my personal protection, pretty much guaranteed to fire a shots, is safe to handle, if only it could be fully concealed.

I have seen what a snub nosed .38 could do (wasn't chest though) and a .380 is less than that. It did not pass through the muscle and the person who was shot did not even know he was shot until after he had already disposed of the robber and the cops had taken the robber away. A chest wound would have been different, especially if it hit something major. A .357 would have also been different even if just hitting muscle.

The 38 special has more energy and velocity so I would go with the revolver with 5 rounds. But a .380 pistol that has only 6 rounds is probably very small and would be perfect for concealing. If you don't care if it is very tiny for concealing I would go with the 38 special revolver.

Zach

I would rather take the higher capacity, smaller size, and ability to reload faster with the .380 over a 5 shot .38 snub. I carried a couple J frames as my EDC for a few years, and while I was pretty proficient with them and practiced a whole lot, they are not the most accurate guns or easy to shoot guns. I can shoot most quality small .380's just as well as any small 5 shot .38 snub.

I can conceal a small 9mm just as easy as a J frame due to the J frames cylinder width, and can conceal a small .380 easier than both. Both of which have a higher capacity than the J frame, so I really have no use for them.

Sure you can shoot heavier bullets out of the .38, but due to such a short barrel those heavier bullets when using hollow points tend not to expand as reliably as say a 124gr bullet.

Here is a look comparing Remington Golden Saber's in both .38 +P and standard pressure .380. As you can see, not much difference at all. I would rather have a couple extra rounds and the ability to reload faster with the .380 over a .38 round that's just a bit heavier and faster. While an extra 2 rounds might not make a difference between say a Glock 17 and 19, when you are limited to 5 rounds in a snub, an extra 2 rounds is a HUGE increase.

Remington Golden Saber 38 Special +P 125gr

Muzzle velocity: 975 fps
Muzzle energy: 264 ft lbs

Remington Golden Saber Ammunition 380 ACP 102 Grain

Muzzle Velocity: 940 fps
Muzzle Energy: 200 ft. lbs.

I would never count on expansion in a projectile leaving the muzzle of either a .32 ACP or a .380! A dear friend of mine that worked as an attorney with the Albuquerque N.M. Coroner performed many studies of penetration (or the lack thereof) from both cartridges. On one occasion, the .380 FMJ, fired from a distance of two feet, (from the back seat of a full-sized car) resulted in the 90-grain slug barely penetrating the victim's skull and simply rolling out of his mouth! This tells me that the best approach to this caliber is to shoot the fastest, heaviest FMJ available. It is the only way to ensure adequate penetration!

Why put "speed brakes" on an already slow cartridge? :confused:

Scott

On one occasion, the .380 FMJ, fired from a distance of two feet, (from the back seat of a full-sized car) resulted in the 90-grain slug barely penetrating the victim's skull and simply rolling out of his mouth!

This is utterly hard to believe, both the part of barely penetrating the skull, and rolling out of his mouth.

I'll take my 642, unless TOTAL concealment is absolutely neccessary. If so, I carry an M&P 380. I can pocket carry the 380 and two extra mags in dress pants and no one will ever know. The J-frame definitely draws easier from the pocket, though.

Back