.357sig

And it's true, if you are going to push 9mm bullets to .357 SIG velocities, you need to pick your bullets carefully. Modern bonded bullets like Gold Dots can handle it. But you also need a bullet that is designed for the cartridge. I'm talking about the exterior shape. Otherwise you can't get a firm enough crimp.

Gregg

Couldn't pick a worse round for an Air Marshall to carry. Overpenetration should be a concern when firing a gun on a crowded airplane, which makes the .357sig a bad choice. Also, airplanes are relatively confined spaces. Tapping off a high pressure .357sig in a confined space will almost certainly cause severe hearing loss/impairment compared to say a .45acp or a 9mm. Just a bad choice all around.

There is .357 Sig ammo that is made for shooting inside airplanes that will not penetrate the planes skin. Look it up. I happen to have a box of it in my ammo stash.

There is .357 Sig ammo that is made for shooting inside airplanes that will not penetrate the planes skin. Look it up. I happen to have a box of it in my ammo stash.
There very well may be. But it's an unnecessary concern. The notion that a handgun round fired through an aircraft's skin could cause explosive decompression has been thoroughly debunked.

I think the penetration issue this cartridge may have been intended to solve was through and through penetration of the adversary into an innocent.

was it UA or BB that makes the 125gr. .357sig ammo going 1525 fps?

There is a YouTube video of some Underwood .357 Sig 125 grain and all shots were over 1500 fps. Take a look at the test results in the gel. I am impressed. A 9mm +P+ seems to be equal in the gel testing but I haven't seen any .40 or .45 do as well yet. Not saying they won't I just haven't found the video yet. The 10mm does a great
job but most don't want to carry it. The .357 Sig in its original configuration is a very badass round. The watered down stuff is no better than anything else.

357 Sig

I was intrigued with the round a few years back and on a whim gave it a whirl. (Truth be told, I bought a G32 with night sights on the advice of someone with a lot more experience with firearms than I.) Two G32s later (critical systems must be redundant, right?!) it's been an EDC for years. Never an FTF nor an FTE. Of course, many will say of their 40s, their 9s, and their 45s. This is what makes it fun, right? :-) That said, if I were to reduce to just two firearms, they'd both be G32s.

The .357 sig was a solution looking for a problem, but remains a viable weapon system even though you can buy .40 S&W rounds that will do the same thing. You can always go light with the .40 and glean the same ballistic response, but cannot go anywhere near as heavy with the sig. And without changing barrels.

The .357 sig was a solution looking for a problem, but remains a viable weapon system even though you can buy .40 S&W rounds that will do the same thing. You can always go light with the .40 and glean the same ballistic response, but cannot go anywhere near as heavy with the sig. And without changing barrels.
that's not the story of .357sig, the story of the .357sig is it was design to give 125 gr. 357 mag. performance out of a hi-cap 9mm service sized semi-auto pistol, that's was the "solution" to the "problem" at the time, i tire of hearing about how the .357sig is the "solution" to a "problem" that doesn't exist or the "answer" to a "question" no one asked.
the .357sig exist to do what it was designed to do, nothing more nothing less. and stating that "well a .40 S&W can do it better" or "9mm +P+ can do the same or better" or .38 Super, 10mm auto ect., if that was the case the .357sig wouldn't exist.

For what it is worth, I just found this for the low price (on a spontaneous check) for .357 Sig: Speer Lawman 357 SIG 100gr Frangible Clean-Fire® RHT Ammo - 50 Rounds 2 hours ago $0.64/rd [$31.99] [in stock] [Ventura Munitions]
Not cheap, but not untouchable either.

The .357 Sig was developed using 125 grains at 1450 fps. That is the only load that is true .357 Sig. and if something different is being used you are just shooting a funny looking shell. The .45 has quit being used in law enforcement because it lacks penetration on everything but up close work on the human body yet some people swear it is the only caliber to carry. Read a story about a LEO in a shoot out with his service .45 and ran out of ammo and had to go to his .357 Sig backup. The .357 Sig went through the truck door and ended the fight. The 45 did not go through the door. The 9mm and the .40 S&W come close to the .357 Sig but they have to be just right as to the weight and speed of the bullet and they have to be +P or +P+ to get near the Sig load. As near as I can tell the 9mm has to be +P+ 124 grain and the .40S&W has to be +P and the bullet weight somewhere between 155 and 165 grains. No standard loaded 9mm or .40 S&W equals the .357 Sig. The 10mm loaded in the hot loads it was developed with will out perform the .357 Sig but the recoil is too much for a lot of people to handle. The best weight for the 10mm seems to be 180 grains at 1200 to 1300 fps. All of this can be verified if you take the time to study like I did. I have watched every kind of caliber test I can find on YouTube. They vary from gel to ribs and meat to windshields and water jugs.
I have also tried to search out and read every real life shooting story I can find. Soft recoil does not equal best gun and caliber very often if at all. You have to study this stuff in depth to get a feel for what works. The .357 Sig does what it was developed to do and then some. The best and most devastating permanent wound channel i have seen is where tnoutdoors9 tested the .357 Sig from Underwood. It chronos over 1500 FPS with 125 grain bonded bullet. This caliber is used to protect the President for a very good reason. I own and carry all calibers from time to time but the .357 Sig is my #1 pick.

Last edited:
Zeke, have you seen any testing done with UA ammo 357 sig 125gr Bonded FMJ Load? Thanks

I haven't looked at any FMJ testing other than .380. It seems the FMJ pokes holes and penetrates 3 or 4 times more than JHP in pretty much all calibers.

I get it that Highway Patrol would like the flat shooting and barrier penetration of the .357 Sig, and it does seem to excel there. But Secret Service and Air Marshals I would imagine are concerned with putting down bad guys in a hurry. I haven't seen anything that suggests it is better than a good .40 S&W load in that respect. Could it be that a lighter, faster bullet is less likely to through and through said bad guy?

As a reloader who cannot stop fooling with cartridges and loads, I'm thinking about a .357 barrel for my Glock 23. But I need to at least pretend it has a purpose other than my curiosity.

I checked the Speer manual, and based on their tests with Gold Dots, the Sig shades the best .40 in muzzle energy by 10%. I'll get the drop-in barrel for my Glock 23 and try it myself...if I can find a barrel, and dies, and bullets, and powder. At least I have primers. And I guess I need to buy a 4" .357 Mag to compare...right?

Good real world data. Speer got another 100 fps, which is what you need to match the classic revolver round. From my point of view, it gives me a reason to start yet another reloading project!

Back