.357sig

No I don't think the 357 Sig is going anywhere for a while anyway. I have a Glock 33 and love the accuracy I get out of it. That being said I would still like to find a 40 Cal (Glock27) barrel for it. Anyone know who sells the G-27 barrel at a reasonable price. I think $175.00 is too much for a Glock replacement barrel. I am not talking "Lone Wolf" or any of the others I want just a stock Glock barrel.

The government, at every level, has a long history of making decisions made on ego, kickback, or low bidder. The people who make the decisions are administrators, not field/street operators. This applies at every level from fire hydrants to F35s.

Maybe so in these instances but I doubt very much that selecting a cartridge to be chambered in an issued pistol has anything to do with kickbacks, low bids or ego.

When the AM started up again a bunch of guys came over from SS and they were already carrying the 357 Sig and stuck with it.

.357 SIG is what I carry. And no, they will not stop producing it any time soon given how many LEOs carry it these days.

It's what I carry - best all around semi-auto cartridge out there these days imho, with the possible exception of 10mm. (357 SIG and 40 S&W are both off-shoots of 10mm).

No I don't think the 357 Sig is going anywhere for a while anyway. I have a Glock 33 and love the accuracy I get out of it. That being said I would still like to find a 40 Cal (Glock27) barrel for it. Anyone know who sells the G-27 barrel at a reasonable price. I think $175.00 is too much for a Glock replacement barrel. I am not talking "Lone Wolf" or any of the others I want just a stock Glock barrel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346804

I shot with an Air Marshal today('cept he used a 45 Colt

The 357 SIG is now embraced by the LE community; it may increase in popularity as cop-shops rotate through to new guns.

I have two different handguns that I converted from 40 to 357sig. the 40 barrels have not been back in either. I don't find the recoil to be any more than the 40. They are louder so the perceived recoil by some shooters is greater. Guess what, I can find retail ammo how are you doing with 9, 40, and 45.

The .40 135 gr slug does not make 1400 fps in any gun I know.

The 125 gr Sig load goes comfortably past that in a few loadings.

Really both the .40 S&W and .357 Sig are excellent in their own right. One has a bit more weight and bore diameter, the other more speed.

I've got Glock subcompacts in both rounds (and 9mm) and I like all of 'em.

I only wish they made a carbide sizing die for the .357 Sig that was priced a bit below $100 bucks!

Deaf

Underwoods has a 135gr .40 claiming 1500 fps, which is good I guess, but the poor sectional density is going to make for shallow(er) penetration compared to a 125gr .355" (or .357"). Given similar bullet weight, in this case 125gr .355" and a 135gr .400", in terms of sheer velocity the .40 will push a 135gr faster than a 357 Sig will push a 125gr. But again, sectional density advantage goes to the 125gr.

Fast is good to a point, and that point being whether the bullet can handle it or not. If not, there's not much point to pushing faster. From a 6" Glock 24 I've loaded 135gr Nosler to 1,850 fps average using Longshot...but it's useless. Fun, but useless.

The 125gr 357sig bullet is not a standard 9mm 125gr bullet they had to do a special design so it did not fragment Texas DPS went from 45acp Sigs to 357sig. The 357 penetrates windshields and car glass better than other calibers they tested. Since DPS is often in areas with no backup the 357sig gives them more range and higher capacity than the 45acp. In some of the larger counties in west Texas it can be 50 miles to a call, with one trooper per county.

I always preface comments on terminal ballistics and calibers by stating that I am not an expert on the subject, but I have done research and have a basic understanding of physics. While some may scoff at the seemingly "small" increase in velocity of the .357 sig over a +P 9mm, 150-200 FPS is not trivial in a comparable 124/125 gr bullet, with a substantial increase in overall energy. In a well constructed JHP, the effects can be pretty substantial in terms of permanent stretch cavity length. It is probably why you see so many federal/state LE agencies using this round as it does come somewhat close to .357 mag specs (which had terrific street credibility). And when maximum performance counts more than cost, there is something to be said about the potential longevity of this round for LE use. So echoing what others have said, as long as LE uses it, it probably won't be going anywhere. That said, the expense in shooting, less capacity, reload difficulty, additional wear on guns, etc. will probably keep this from ever becoming as popular as the big "three" semi-auto loads (9mm,.40, .45).

TNOutdoors9 does some nice, simple, and quick SIM_test ballistic gel testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6KbA-HuZ8

One of my oldest friends is an AM.

Their duty round comes in a Speer box, 125 grain Gold Dot. Nickel cases, primer is a darker color than the case.

They are authorized to carry two different guns. SIG 229 was the standard and only one for a long time. But there was a lot of lobbying for a smaller gun, one that could also be more easily carried off duty. So they are also authorized to buy and carry 239's. There was a plan to switch everybody to the 250 but, sadly for SIG, that design failed during their testing. The AM's who were involved in the testing recommended that it not be adopted. I haven't talked to my buddy in a while since he lives hundreds of miles away so I don't know if anything has changed in that area.

He carries a 229. When we were younger and had both recently gotten out of the active military, I used to be able to outshoot him with a pistol. That's very untrue today. The AM's do a lot of training. Lots of shooting, lots of hand to hand. He is one of the best pistol shooters now that I've ever seen. The people I've seen shoot better get paid to be professionals by sponsors at shooting events.

It's true the .357 SIG was picked because that's what the parent agency was using. Lots of people thought they should have gone with something wider and slower but it seems like most of them today are happy with the choice. They are deadly with it.

I own quite a few of them myself. Including an AR that uses Glock mags. A Glock 35 with custom barrel. Two HK P2000's. (Daily carry gun is one of the HK's.) I reload for it. And whoever said it before is right... fired brass is cheap. Even the good stuff. Even cheaper if you have an AM friend. Between buying bulk 9mm bullets and free brass, I can shoot it cheaply.

I'm a huge .357 SIG fan!

Gregg

I really dont see the sig going away soon at all. When there isnt any ammo it seems theres sig. The Texas highwaypatrol still used it last time i talked to one about sig. I wish they made more 10mm or 40 super myself. They seem like very promising rounds themselves.

I haver a FN FNX 40 that I plan to get a 357 sig barrel for at some point.

It might invalidate the warranty, but I will not be the first time:)

I only wish they made a carbide sizing die for the .357 Sig that was priced a bit below $100 bucks!

I was using a combination of .40 S&W carbide dies and standard .357 SIG dies. It worked but it took multiple passes.

Then I saw a guy selling "like new" Dillon carbide .357 SIG dies for $70 shipped. I jumped on that and they are out in my reloading area. I haven't actually _used_ them yet but I'll get around to it one of these days!

Gregg

Back