.357 velocities in Ruger LCR

But I tend to agree with Nanuk. Everyone seems to use BBTI as the gospel, especially quoting the velocity losses with .38 and .357 in shorter barrels.
But what I found with my own chrono test is different that what they claim. It could be due to different guns giving differen velocities, but there is not as much loss as what they claim as with their cut barrels.

I guess you could call me a liar as well.:D

Note that lucky gunner was getting this velocity from a Kimber K-6. My buddy was getting 1275 from a S&W 640 with a 1 7/8" BBL. As I stated before each gun can be quite different.

It also might be a different load. When you posted about a Remington 125 grain load, I thought 125 Golden Saber. It could be that you are referring to a completely different 125 grain load.

But I tend to agree with Nanuk. Everyone seems to use BBTI as the gospel, especially quoting the velocity losses with .38 and .357 in shorter barrels.
But what I found with my own chrono test is different that what they claim. It could be due to different guns giving differen velocities, but there is not as much loss as what they claim as with their cut barrels.

I guess you could call me a liar as well.:D

There's a reason for that. BBTI is the only methodologically sound procedure for addressing questions about the relationship between barrel length and velocity.

That is, use one barrel for all your velocity tests.

As soon as you start using different barrels you run the real risk of producing spurious results. The 6" Python and the 4" S&W in the table is the perfect example. Using only that data one would conclude that 4" barrels produce more velocity than 6" barrels.

addressing questions about the relationship between barrel length and velocity.

The relationship is only theoretical, since various guns will give different velocities.
One must chronograph their particular gun to know the true velocity.

Using only that data one would conclude that 4" barrels produce more velocity than 6" barrels.

No, using that data, one concludes that using one barrel to determine results is not a basis for concluding that all guns would be affected the same way.

for example, the difference between my 1 7/8" LCR and my 3" LCRX was only 50 fps with two different BB loads. A different firearm might produce even different differences. So to assume that cutting a barrel an inch shorter will give equal results no matter what the firearm is false. It's just give an idea, not reality.

Nothing much to say. I was the first officer on the scene after he shot a cop, I did not shoot they guy, I was afraid my 125's would not do the job thru plate glass and he would hurt hostages.
I'm sorry... wasn't trying to bust your balls...just don't understand what a Tongan is.

Nothing much to say. I was the first officer on the scene after he shot a cop, I did not shoot they guy, I was afraid my 125's would not do the job thru plate glass and he would hurt hostages.
You do realize that very few non-LEO civilians carrying a snub revolver will be shooting through plate glass at Tongans holding hostages, yes?

If I was LEO in the 80's and a 4 to 6 inch barrel revolver was my duty gun, I'd carry 158's because I'm in situations where I'm much more likely to be required to shoot into cars and through barriers.

Your data did not match theirs so you made up a lie about their data? Amazing!

You've destroyed your own credibility. No one is going to believe anything you say now since you've just proven you're a liar.

Lie? How about no. Pretty strong words. I have been mistaken in the past, it happens. Perhaps they changed their methodology since I viewed their site years ago.

Your cavalier attitude and the automatic use of insults speaks volumes about your character.

Last edited:
You do realize that very few non-LEO civilians carrying a snub revolver will be shooting through plate glass at Tongans holding hostages, yes?

Dude...... I was referring to a situation over 30 years ago. Get over it.

Back