.357 velocities in Ruger LCR

What reasons did you switch to a heavier bullet? Was the cop that get killed ambushed by sumo wrestlers?

Actually the one that got me to switch was a Tongan. But the main reason was Plate glass.

I carry 125 grain Remington SJHP 357 mags in my snubs, both my J frame and my K frame.

I have nothing against .38 Special or 38 +p. I think those are great cartridges but a 9mm out of a compact auto tends to be more reliable in expansion than .38s. If it works as well out of a snubby and the recoil isn't bad, that would make it a great option for me.

A 9mm might be easier to reload in a snubby than a .357 magnum for a few reasons. One is that the 9mm cartridge is much shorter than the .38 Special and the .357. On a snubby, the short length of the extractor rod might not be long enough to clear a .38 or .357 case but a short and tapered 9mm case should pop right out. In a moon clip, we wouldn't have to worry about a straggler not coming out of the cylinder. A moon clip should be the same or slightly faster than a speedloader but unloading should be much more positive.

I would think that it would be hard to reload that partially used moon clip with the raw cases.
Harder than reloaded a used magazine.
(After you've used the full clip that you loaded assuming you pocketed the partially used moon clip)

I would think that it would be hard to reload that partially used moon clip with the raw cases.
Harder than reloaded a used magazine.
(After you've used the full clip that you loaded assuming you pocketed the partially used moon clip)
The Ruger moon clips are actually really easy to pull empty cases off and put new ones in.

If these tactical reloads are so important, like I said, the moon clip doesn't have to be used. Largely why I would rather carry speed strips or speedloaders in the event of a reload instead of a moon clip.

The circumstances where topping off a revolver cylinder would be presented are so infinitesimally rare and when you consider that simply needing to draw AND fire a gun in self defense is rare itself, the importance of that type of reload is... quizzical.

You're grasping at straws with the "tactical reload" argument.

Last edited:
Really?!? Your just gonna leave us hanging?

Nothing much to say. I was the first officer on the scene after he shot a cop, I did not shoot they guy, I was afraid my 125's would not do the job thru plate glass and he would hurt hostages.

I have no vendetta, I just found that much of their data did not match up to my data, or many other peoples data. The problem with using one barrel is that each barrel is unique and different. What you get from a 4" BBL I might get from a different 2 1/2" BBL. Different barrels are faster or slower. A colt Python for example has a bore that constricts near the end, good for accuracy, not great for velocity.

I have no vendetta, I just found that much of their data did not match up to my data, or many other peoples data. The problem with using one barrel is that each barrel is unique and different. What you get from a 4" BBL I might get from a different 2 1/2" BBL. Different barrels are faster or slower. A colt Python for example has a bore that constricts near the end, good for accuracy, not great for velocity.

Your data did not match theirs so you made up a lie about their data? Amazing!

You've destroyed your own credibility. No one is going to believe anything you say now since you've just proven you're a liar.

Your data did not match theirs so you made up a lie about their data? Amazing!

All you have to do is to look at Ballistics by the inch and see that they got exactly what Nanuk stated with various real life different guns. Look at the 6" python and you can see that it consistently got the same or lower velocity than the 4" Smith 686.
So different guns can produce different result, exactly what Nanuk was pointing out.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 8.07.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 8.07.26 AM.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 192
All you have to do is to look at Ballistics by the inch and see that they got exactly what Nanuk stated with various real life different guns. Look at the 6" python and you can see that it consistently got the same or lower velocity than the 4" Smith 686.
So different guns can produce different result, exactly what Nanuk was pointing out.

Sure, different barrels produce different results. We know that. But Nanuk fabricated a lie out of thin air.

What was the lie? All I read was:
Different barrels are faster or slower. A colt Python for example has a bore that constricts near the end, good for accuracy, not great for velocity.

And look at the chart at the PYTHON

Back