.357 Magnum or bigger bore?

Redneck -

Actually, there are several other good choices in the full-size service revolver than the .357--the foremost being the .45 ACP/.45AR (in DA), the .44 Special is also a choice (but probably requires reloading to be real useful though with the advent of cowboy shooting, low power practice/plinking ammo is available at a fairly reasonable price). The .45 ACP (several new SAs, one new and a variety of used DAs) can be shot almost as inexpensively as the .357 and probably a better defensive choice than the .357 in that it is just as effective in its best loading has much less muzzle blast and recoil than the 357. There are also very good mid-range loads available for the .41 and .44 Magnums (210 grains and 240 grains respectively 1000-1100 fps from Georgia Arms for one)--don't forget the ORIGINAL law enforcement loading for the .41 Magnum was 210 grain lead bullet at about 1000 fps--at this weight/velocity recoil is really no problem (and if you check downrange, overpenetration is no problem.

That aside, I think the young man has asked reasonable question and made reasonable replies for the most part (a lot more civil than of the "more mature" members have been). I do not have a .22 handgun and do not want one--I would much rather shoot a center fire even if I have to shoot less. The .22s are just not fun for me (and fun is large reason I shoot). I put myself through college (though many years back) and managed to keep myself in handguns and ammunition (and work a lot of dove hunting in as well) by working hard and doing without (and I had a good time doing it). My guess, regardless of what he finally buys, he won't make it through college with just one handgun (more than likely 3 or 4--I bought my first .380, .45 ACP and .44 Magnum in college--I started with one Model 64).

Nightcrawler - while you are researching, look at sites like georgia-arms.com and natchezss.com to get a good idea of how much ammo will cost and for reasonable prices

They're out there. I picked up on--90/95% (early S-prefix, pre-M28, all matching assembly numbers inlcuding the grips) for $199 less than a year ago.

At risk of repeating, I would think that the 4" Ruger will be the ticket. I too went first with a .45 that was a SERIOUS POS, but sold it and went for a USP .45. The USP is my favorite handgun, but I deeply yearn for a good stainless .357.

At this time in your life, I feel it would be an excellent, economical choice for a rugged handgun that should last several generations.

Nightcrawler--

I can tell-- I KNOW!-- that you want a .357. Why not scratch that itch? I personally carry a .45acp every day as my duty and social gun, and even occasionally hunt with it. But why should I want you to carry what I carry?!? :) You want a .357, so by golly, I think you should get one! I personally think that it's hard to find any firearm that will perform as many different tasks (some of them quite well!) as a good DA 4" .357 revolver. Personally, I'd go with a used (pre-sell-out) S&W M-619. Compact, very smooth action, accurate as hell, and rust-resistant. Also, there's quite a few out there for cheap, what with cops and security types selling their old wheelguns to move to autos.

But the GP-100, as you can see, has a FIERCE following. There are others. The fun will be finding it.

But, as a man who has had to buy guns while paying college tuition myself, let me just advise you to buy the one your heart is set on. Go get that .357, or you won't be happy with something else.

Best regards,

L.P.

As people know from a simular post I prefer the semi auto for serious social functions but if one prefers a relovler the smith 686 with a 4 inch tube is hard to beat with a 7 shot cylinder. Personally If I were to have to carry a revolver I would carry a 629 with a 4 inch barrel ala mountain gun loaded with 165 grain jhp's from triton or corbon for people and with 300 grain hard cast bullets for bears. If bears were not a worry like they are here in alaska I would get a 625 mountain gun in 45 acp because I like the moon clips.
PAT

A 4-6" .357 would be a plenty versatile weapon. Plinking? .38 Special wadcutter reloads. In-home defense? 125gr JHP's. Need to hunt? 158 or 180gr JHP's.

Have fun! :)

Nightcrawler,

I apologize to you and to the other TFL members that don't want to hear me vent but I have to.

There are 7000 grains per 1 pound of powder. With that known, here is my recipe for $6 per 100 38 special reloads.

148 gr HBWC - $30.00 per 1000 (locally bought)
CCI Small Pistol Primers - $15.00 per 1000 (locally bought)
1# of Bullseye Powder - $16.00 per 7000 grains (locally bought)
100 38 Special Cases - Free - shot these 500 rounds ago

Bullets - $30/1000 = $0.03 per bullet = $3.00 per 100
Primers - $15/1000 = $0.015 per primer = $1.50 per 100
Powder - $16/7000 = $0.002286 per grain X 3.0 grains per charge X 100 charges = $0.69 per 100
Cases - $0.00/100 = $0.00 per case - $0.00 per 100

Add this all up and it comes out to $ 5.19 per 100 rounds of 38 special reloads. Put in a little more powder and use .357 cases and it still comes out less than $6 per 100.

I am lucky, I live where I can get all of these components dirt cheap at the gun show which is held every three months. I realize not everyone can get these prices and some put a price on their time, but I reload in my "free" time. My hunting reloads with premium JHP's (Hornady 180 grain XTP's cost me less than $20 per 100) to reload.

There you go Nightcrawler, 100 target reloads for less than $6. If you shoot as much as I do, a single stage press will be paid off with the savings in a few months.

Boo586

--Or if the press is a problem, invest in one of the Lyman or Lee handpresses (or maybe even the 310 Tool)--you can store it in a small tackle box and even take it to the range with you.

well we covered this ground many a times, but i'm going to say it again. being a college student myself i know what it's like to pick through your wallet just to find the $0.17 to buy a stinking scantron for todays english test. I dont' suffer from the problem of not having a service pistol, rather my collection was quite varied before I ever left high school, but i'll tell you this, though you won't like it. Redneck though a bit off color in his wording is correct. i cannot afford to shoot any of my service type pistols anymore( well i shoot them a little but i forgo eating to do this, BTW never eat ramen noodles more than one meal a day, it doesn't do good things to ones digestive system.) they just collect dust. in all reality the only centerfire period i shoot lately is my 7.62x39, and only after getting my tuition refund from finantial aid(buying one case per term). 22's are the way to go. at $8.00 a box of 550 you can't go wrong, and you'll actually learn to shoot. i sucked at shooting with pistols until i put about 5000 rounds down range. concidering the costs, less than 80 dollars with a 22 vs 12.00 a box 357's the experience would cost you about 1200 bucks. after much practice with my 22 EAA, i can actually hit things with the gun(and that experience does carry over to centerfires). 38's are just as booring to shoot as 22's, no recoil, no muzzel blast, does't do anything spectacular to cans) and 357's cost too damn much even if you could find the time to reload, though they are fun... Nevermind, F#@k that, i know what you mean may i suggest instead of blowing your wad on a 350.00 revolver, how about you pick up a police trade in smith model 19 for 200 bucks(wich i doubt anyone will say is a bad gun) and spend the rest on the cheapest fullsized 22 revolver you can find, ( i suggest an eaa bounty hunter 22 single action if you can find one, i'm not sure if they make em anymore) my EAA bounty hunter is as accurate as my smith combat model 18 in 22lr. and cost about a third as much. that way it costs the same price, you can practice with the cheap 22, avoid putting wear on your big bore, your practice will carry over increasing your skill with the big bore, and you can still have 125 grain remington semi jacketed hollow points to get your point accross if someone mistakes your dorm room for an electronics store with a "free take anything" sign in the window.

.357 Magnum

My first handgun was a .357, Money got tight and unfortunately, had to sell it. A Taurus Model 66, 7 shot, blued 6 in. barrel. Don't care what anyone says about a Taurus, its a fine weapon, and has the best warranty in the business. If it fails your fault, their fault, nobody's fault, they'll fix or replace it.

The Ruger GP100 series is a good choice, can be had for $350, a used S&W can be had for about the same, a used Taurus can be had for 150-300.

Somethings to consider.

Last time I checked, the .357 Magnum as far as defensive rounds go, is still the king of the hill, beating even the .45 ACP.

A lot of good info has been posted in this thread about the caliber question which I will try not to repeat. Some LEO departments like the .357 Sig because it is close to what they got from the .357mag when those departments used revolvers rather than semi-autos. For LEOs, the 357 mag had better penetration when there was a shootout with a bad guy behind cover--behind a car door, windshield, etc. The 45ACP was a poor penetrator in those circumstances. However, the .357 rounds used when most departments issued revolvers was hotter (higher pressure) than the .357 mag round commercially available today. Nevertheless, if I'm shooting at 100 yard targets, there is a lot less bullet drop from my .357 mag (commercial or handloads) than my 45ACP or 45Colt loads. If you intend to make it a plinking pistol and use it for defense too, adjustable rear sights are something to consider because a hot .357 isn't going to have the same POI as a 38 Special 148grHBWC at 50 yards. In addition, a 357 mag needs 31/2-4" barrel minimum to take advantage of the relatively slow powders. A very good way to improve your pistol shooting skills inexpensively is to dry fire a lot--when there is no movement in the front sight during dry fire, there will be no movement during live fire (at least through the trigger break). While I like 22 rimfire, I believe dry firing is more productive since you are working with the same gun as you will be using in centerfire live fire. Having said all this about the .357, if I knew I was going to face a defensive use of my pistol in the open at short range shooting center of mass, I would choose 230 grain HP from 45ACP over 125 gr HPs from a .357 mag. Unfortunately, it isn't possible for one pistol to be best at all things. Good luck

Yes

My vote is for either.

I've got .357's in DA and SA guns, and .44's in DA and SA guns. I think it boils down to shot placement and confidence in yourself and the gun. I shoot, and load for, all of the above so much that I would not hesitate to rely on any of them.

The 357 magnum is the all time most versatile calibre ever conceived. Forty-four magnum? Nope. You want to go light and not have the pain? Have you checked the price of 44 specials lately? Ouch! I can go urban or go to the woods with the 357 maggie without breakin' the bank. Ya gotta love the three-fifty-seven.....J.Parker

I have not been able to find 30 dollar per thousand .357 dewc in any of my reloading supply catalogs I think the average price is around 50 dollar per thousand and 20 dollar per thousand for primers,what about time mine is valuable the kid could be spending that time studying,they probibly wouldnt let him reload in the dorm anyway,bullfrog knows the deal.

My two cents recommends that you get a trade-in S&W revolver in .357 Magnum with a 4-inch barrel. Look around and find one with a trigger that feels the best. Find some grips that fit your hand. Scrape together a little extra cash and get one of the cheap Lee reloading setups for .38/.357 and then load your own ammo and shoot as much as possible.

I think this setup is the best compromise between cost, flexibility and power. You can load up cheap practice ammo (even primer loads with reuseable plastic bullets for really cheap practice). Or, you can load up heavy-duty 180 gr loads and go dragon-slaying.

As the years go by you'll get other handguns and better reloading equipment, but I'll bet you still have the .357 revolver 20 years from now.

Kevin

Rednek,

.358" 158 grain lead SWC go for $12.95 per 500 and small pistol primers $14 per 1,000 all day long. Sounds like you either (A) don't reload and have no idea wht you're talking about or (B) are getting screwed.

Kilgor

tell me where, midway U.S.A lists its cheapest 158 gr.swc at 17.99 per 500 with shipping you are talking over 22 dollars per 500,at any gun shop around here small pistol primers are around 17 dollars per thousand with our eight percent sales tax(yes I am getting screwed) you are looking at damn near twenty bucks per thousand,granted I do not shoot many cast bullets (dont like the mess)so maybe if I did better deals could be sought out,just got done loading up 100 240gr hornady Xtp 429 dia.over eight grains of bullseye these are my practice loads out of my model 629 4" took me two hours using my rockchucker single stage pressI reload 7.62 by 39,270 winchester,223 rem,45 auto .357 mag,38 spec,44mag,special.I necksize my brass for my .223 contender,I seat the bullets just off the grooves and with my contenders 10" barrel I can consistently headshoot chucks at 250 yds ,so what you got there kilgore

KilgorII

Screwed thats good prices. In Alaska primers run between 15 and 20 bucks for a 1000. Powder is about 18 to 22 bucks a pound. Bullets are about 35 to 45 bucks for cast lead per 500. I mail order all the stuff thats non haz mat and have it sent to a family member that gets reduced shipping rates. But I still get screwed on haz mat stuff. Right now I am moving and I am trying to figure the cheapest way to get my ammo out of Bethel which is not on the road system and must be flown. I will probably just eat it ont he haz mat shipping. you can fly with ammo but I exceed the max amount.
PAT

They go for $12.95 per 500 at local gunshows here, I promise. And winchester small pistol primers go for $14 per 1000, CCI's for for $15.

I does sound like you're getting screwed. My set up sounds remarkably similar to you. .308, 7.62x39, .44 mag, .357 mag, .38 special, 9mm, .380, etc. on a RCBS Rockchuker. A mixture of Lee and RCBS dies.

I guess it depends on prices near him, eh?

Kilgor

Back