.357 Magnum or bigger bore?

Nightcrawler: I was just funning you. No, to answer your question, if I could only own one handgun, it would be a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm. When I did only own one handgun, it was a .22, but given the choice now, it would be the .357. I do shoot my .22s a lot more than anything else in terms of rounds fired, but that is because I really enjoy shooting them. I take my centerfires out a lot more, but don't fire as many rounds. I am fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area and shoot several times a week. I often take out my center fire rifles and shoot 20 rounds on paper and call it a day. When I take out my .22s, I shoot 300-500 rounds in a typical day. I think the .357 is the most versitile handgun out there. Personally, I am far more interested in the sporting aspects of gun ownership than I am in the defensive or armchair commando aspects. But, the .357 fits both sporting and defensive purposes better than anything I know of. I make that statement after owning several hundred different guns and loading perhaps thirty different cartridges.

you guys gotta understand...

...I'm not planning on making my first rounds through whatever I get be Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore uber-power rounds. If I get a .357, my first two boxes of ammo will be light .38s. If it's a .44, first rounds will be .44 Special. In a .45 Colt, it'll be light cowboy loads. You get the idea.

what do ya need a combat handgun in college for ,when I was going to school I was more worried about getting layed and partying,get a good education then you can buy any damn gun you want ,personally I never cared about a defensive handgun till I started having to walk the mean streets with my wife and kids if it wasnt for them I doubt I would carry a social handgun very often,buy a 4" k frame smith 357 even with the cheap remanufactured ammo you wont get to shoot much given your financial situation,not that you will anyways once you get absorbed into college life.

what do ya need a combat handgun in college for

You sound like a million mom marcher. "What do you need THAT for?"

It's not about NEED. It's about WANT.

As for college life...no, I'm not going to get into some big argument. You've not been much help; I ask for advice on a useful revolver and you give nothing but arrogant sounding opinions, vague presumptions, and keep telling me I should buy something I don't want. Thank you for the input, but you answered a question that I didn't ask.

Nightcrawler,

I hope you are still reading this thread and are not too upset with some of us here on TFL.

I grew up in southwest Michigan and I am going to try to answer your question to the best of my ability. The first handgun that I ever fired was a pump pellet pistol. The next was my S&W 586 357 magnum with a 6" barrel. I got this gun for hunting/target shooting and because it was so versatile and low cost. I bought it while I was still in college and bought reloading equipment after I got out of school. One can reload practice ammo for less than $6 per 100 once you have the brass. You can't beat this. Some will say the 6" barrel doesn't balance well for them and isn't ideal for a carry pistol, but who cares what they say? It is their opinion that they are entitled to, you and I don't have to agree with them. The 357 magnum sure the heck produces substantial hydrostatic shock. Anybody who has ever shot a gallon milk jug filled with water with a 125 grain JHP in 357 magnum knows this!

I have many friends that own at least one 357 magnum and it is the last gun that all of them say that they would part with. I can whole heartedly recommend the .357 as a great first gun on a budget. I also recommend one in either a S&W (K, L or N frame) or a Ruger (Blackhawk, Bisley, GP or Service Six) with at least a 4" barrel. You will not be unhappy with your purchase and it will still be around for you to give to your kids.

P.S. Reloading equipment is a great christmas gift idea to drop to you family.

Boo586

.357 or .22 both are great!

reasons a .22 is better than a .357

low muzzle flash
quiet report
low recoil
cheap ammo
easy to find ammo
easy to carry
overpenetration not a problem
can be shot without hearing protection(not advised)
fast followup shots

reasons a .357 is better than a .22

power...power...power
can use 2 different calibers in one gun, .38 and .357
ultra fast stopper of most things that breathe
excellent penetration
excellent expansion
scares the living crap out of everything that hears it go off
you can run but it is hard to hide from a .357(concrete and steel advised...thick)

It depends on where you live and what type of threats you face or the shooting you do but in the city it is hard to beat a .22. I've shot mine in my basement, my front yard, my back yard and just around the house. Never got the police called, neighbors didn't notice and it kills just fine. I've seen animals dispatched more quickly and cleanly from a .22 than any other caliber including a .44 a last weekends hog roast. Damn thing musta took 3 minutes to die from a head shot with a .44 ruger. And at practical defensive distances I feel totally secure.

Jeff Cooper is an alright guy but anyone that thinks a .357 is not a not great defensive round truly has their head in thier ass.

I would pick it above all other rimed calibers. There are bigger and faster calibers but to me it is just about the perfect blend of all attributes. Punishingly loud though. I recommend NEVER EVER shoot one without hearing protection! you will regret it! which make's me think that if I had to shoot one in my house without hearing protection I would be looking at serious permanent hearing damage. After the first shot you sure as hell won't be able to see if it was already dark, and you definitely won't be able to hear anyone sneaking up behind you. Of course there will not be many people wanting to sneak up on anyone poping of a .357. -ddt

redneck, you said,

"...get a good education then you can buy any damn gun you want." W R O N G! :o

Some of the best Smith & Wessons are drying up on the used market as the agreement takes its toll. There will always be some institution of higher learning available for him to attend; but, good guns won't be around for ever. Skip college, buy all you can NOW and....:D

In all seriousness, go get a nice N-frame M-27 or the M-28, which should cost you even less. That, or the fine Ruger GP100 that has been mentioned. I really don't think you can hurt either one with any factory load out there, and they will truly last forever.:)

Nightcrawler,
The only centerfire handgun round I shoot is the .357 maggy.
It is my hunting round and my personal protection round.
It works out of my S&W 19, and my Taurus 608, and my EAA snubby and my Ruger Blackhawk, and my ..............
I better stop listing because big brother might be watchin'.
Happy shooting all........... :cool:

Right on Victor Louis: I bought a cherry Model 28 for $125 recently. I needed another .357 like I needed a hole in the head, but for that kind of money I couldn't let it sit there. The action is smooth as silk. Beautiful companion to my Model 29. Matching up like this also saves valuable holster money.

buy what you want,I am sure anyone that dosnt know enough about guns to know that a colt saa has a groove milled into the topstrap will make a wise decision.

Stop wasting your time and go buy a .357 magnum!

A used S&W 586/686 in 6" barrel in good condition will last you a lifetime. Out of the 14 pistols I currently own, the only revolver is my 586, which I bought used over 10 years ago. I may sell some of the others, but I'll never let this one go.

While I like Jeff Cooper, he is set in his ways and likes to lump the .357 magnum in with .38s and 9MM. Know also that he'd like to replace our military firearms with a semi-only carbine firing .44 automag.

Ahem.

Excuse me, Redneck, but I do believe Nightcrawler asked a serious question (".357 magnum or bigger bore?"), and later explained his reasons for not wanting a .22. when that was suggested CONTRARY to his inquiry.

You seem completely unable to make a response without adding some smart-ass, condescending, "I'm better than you, little man" sort of comment.

Some of your comments seemed rather out-of-line, like:

"I said learn to shoot not just spray lead around,usually whoever shoots the mostest, shoots the bestest,shoulda kept that 45 if your so poor and scared."

and this:

"what do ya need a combat handgun in college for ,when I was going to school I was more worried about getting layed and partying,get a good education then you can buy any damn gun you want..."

Charming. But not exactly a very constructive response.

Hey Nightcrawler...little secret for you:

My very first ever handgun was a .357 Magnum...it's what I cut my teeth on. And you know what? I LOVED IT! It was the best "starter gun" for me. Oooh.... :D

Before anything else, that .357 will always be my First Love.

Go get one. I highly recommend it. For practice, you can buy inexpensive .38 wadcutters, then just move up to other ammo when you feel comfortable.

Ultimately, go with what feels right, and get what you want.

Happy shopping!

NC,

My first handgun was a 9mm semi-automatic.

My second was a snubnosed .38.

I don't think I got a .22 until my 5th or 6th gun. I have't shot it in years.

Get what you want, what feels best to you, what fits your budget best.

I will always heartily recommend the .357 Mag.

I prefer 4" barrels, but that's because I am inclined to carry them, as well, and a 4" carries and conceals a bit more readily than a 6".

I do, however, have a 6" Model 28, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

NC come back on the thread.

My first gun was a 380 cal. I was steered into playing so I bought my second gun, a 9mm semi. I felt that I want a revo so I bought a 38 spl. Now that was a mistake because I want a .357 mag. I'm still regreting that purchase but not the gun. My fourth was a .22 cal revo.

If you want a .357 go get it. No matter how much input we give you, you know deep into yourself you want that .357 and nothing could change that.

I envy you because you were introduced in the world of gun at an early age (compared to me). :(

Now be a good boy and get that .357. You'll just have to decide if it will be a 4" or a 6" barrel.

vega:)

4", 6"...

...depends on the model. Some look better with different barrels. The Colt Python looks sw33t with a 4" barrel, and I think the Ruger GP100 looks great with 6". I want a full sized one, though. I mean, not a huge frame revolver, (not in .357 anyway) but big enough that powerful loads won't beat my wrists up. .357 Magnum was designed to be fired from large, heavy revolvers, originally, from what I understand. Wasn't it originally chambered in the equivalent of an N-Frame when Smith & Wesson first introduced it?

Can't add much to what's been said here. 4" .357 is versatile, practical and proven. My Ruger is fast becoming my favorite handgun. I Don't own a Python (yet) so who knows. :)

Nitecrawler: This goes to prove the old adage; Different stokes..... I was thinking the Python looked good with the six inch and the GP100 looked good with the 4". Thank goodness they make one for each of us. Yes, the .357 was originally made in an N-Frame. I personally like the bigger .357s. I have two N-Frames; a Model 28 in 4" and a Custom Shop 627 5". I think however that the GP-100 is a design revelation in revolvers, the way you can disassemble it. I have the GP-100 4" and the SP-101 2" also; both good guns; the GP-100 would be my second faviorite .357. My all time faviorte is the Ruger Blackhawk convertible .357/9mm. It of course isn't worthwhile for concealed carry, but as a sporting arm, IMO it can't be beat. I have the 6 1/2" which gives you a little bit more velocity than the 4". The convertible cylinder allows you to fire .38 Special, .357 Mag, and 9mm Luger all in the same gun. The action is stong as a bull. The only thing I need now is a Ruger Redhawk in .357 and a S&W 686 8 3/8".

you know...

...I'd just love a nice single action to go along with my double action revolver. Like a Ruger Vaquero, 7 1/2", high gloss finish, mock pearl grips...ooh la laa! That'd turn some heads at the range, I think. :D

I am sorry if I came across as an ass but I am,but I just offered a suggestion and the snotnose kid was rude on his first reply ,I do not give a damn what the kid buys ,here in New York you can get a concealed carry permit at 18 with mommys signiture on the application,it was a stupid question anyway anybody that knows anything about handguns knows .357 is the only choice in a full size service style revolver sure a 41 or 44 will work with squib loads but with full power loads overpenitration and recoil will be a problem ,I think the kid watches to much damn T.V,and thinks it has to be big to be serious,precision shooting with a rimfire is as far from boring as wailing away with my 4" 629 with full power loads,I reload and there is no way you can reload anything for six bucks a hundred unless you cast your own bullets,If I come across as egotisticol to damn bad I say how I feel it

While we're talking, 10mm is the real deal.

Now that a real big bore. Broke the FBI's back.

Great for plinking and target shooting, IPSC, steel plates, CCW, and hunting.

And it will hurl 200-220 grains with the best of them. Short of 41 Mag but in a SW 610 its all you need. In a Glock 20, you can pack 16 rounds in there. Now that's formidable.

BUt you have to reload to really get good with this round.

Back