.357 lever vs .223 semiauto for defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're describing a 300 Blackout, which is becoming a pretty popular cartridge
I know I figured it was pretty obvious.

I prefer reloading straight walled cases. Plus, the .30 carbine is already .308" in diameter and making a .223 straight walled would give you a slightly larger projectile.
That would basicly be a 32 winchester self loading, and it's already obsolete:eek:

I come across people on these forums all the time who don't know about the 300 Blackout. Your post just looked like you hadn't either.
Rereading my post I can see why you would think that.
I actually have a Blackout and love it. It's a 16" carbine and now I really want a SBR and a Can.

Wouldn't a 38 Super or 9MMx21 be a better choice than a .357 ? I am a .357 fan-and have zero experience with the Coonan, but it seems to me the superiority of rimless rounds in self loaders is well established.

Until the .300 BO, the M1 was the long gun that my wife and boys could handle and shoot well. Still have it, and I keep a mag ready for it, but it is now 4th in line, and I sold my .357 Mag carbines.

So in your world basicly the same and not quite the same are somehow drasticly different?

Before I've had my morning caffeine dosage, they're *radically* different. :)

Maybe someone with the QuickLoad software could run the numbers and see what could be expected.

Maybe someone with the QuickLoad software could run the numbers and see what could be expected.
"a cartridge based on a .223 round that was straight walled. That would give you around a .331" diameter projectile by my calculations" would be "very similar" ballisticly to a 300 Blackout. The only difference is to reload a straight walled 223 case would require an extra die to size and expand separatly and even though you coule use carbide dies you'd still have to lube cases because of the thickness of 223 cases there by negating any advantage of having straight walled cases;)

For any defensive scenario, I would rather have a semi-auto than a pump/lever/bolt action firearm. The .223 also has a lot more energy to deliver. It is a rifle round vs. a pistol round. If you want to put someone/something down quick, you look to the rifle first!

That said, at household/yard distances, the .357 is a respectable round. If you do your part, a .357 will hold its own on deer/human sized targets out to probably 100yds or so.

Both make good plinkers. Both can serve an HD role. Go with the one you would enjoy more! If you are quick and accurate with a lever-gun, you'll probably be OK in the statistically rare home-defense situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back