.357 110 gr. JHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightweight bullets jumping crimp? Not.

Webleymkv said:
It's not a bad loading as it delivers ballistics similar to a 9mm +P. The main disadvantages are that it will have less penetration than a heavier bullet and will likely shoot low in fixed-sighted revolvers (most .357's come from the factory sighted in for either 125grn or 158grn bullets). Also, very light revolvers like the S&W 360PD often have trouble with very light bullets jumping crimp under recoil. S&W actually reccomends against the use of bullets lighter than 120grn in their Scandium J-Frames.
Webleymkv, you should probably review your physics. Very lightweight bullets have less inertia than heavier bullets, therefore have less of a tendency to jump crimp when subjected to heavy recoil from its siblings earlier in the firing rotation. Its the HEAVY bullets with heavy loads in a LIGHTWEIGHT gun that bullets pulling out of their cases is a concern.

S&W does recommend against lightweight bullets in their scandium guns, but it is my understanding that the reason is erosion at the throats and (perhaps) cracking of the forcing cone.

Consider the extreme cases. A bullet that weighs nothing, no matter how hard the gun recoils cannot have the inertia required to jump crimp. On the other hand, a bullet that is anchored to the center of the Earth (tantamount to being VERY massive) will almost certainly pull out of its case when its neighbor is fired.

Now, I REALLY REALLY want to launch into a dissertation of why the lightweight very very fast bullet penetrates less than a heavier one with the same energy, but I don't want to use up the column space. Suffice it to say that an expanded bullet (like a 110 grain) presents more frontal area than an unexpanded bullet (a 125 grain that failed to expand, or a 158 grain solid).

Terminal ballistics is truly "Weird Science".

Respectfully, Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Do your own independent, confirming research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Lost Sheep

Jeez, there's a lot more info here than my old brain can absorb!! If the gun goes "bang", a hole appears in the target where I aim and a nice chunk flys off the backstop, I'm pretty happy. :o:o

Simple outcomes for a simple mind.

Yo-de-doe-doe-doe!!!! :D

There is sometimes a gap between the theoritical and the actual.

Due to advances in bullet construction of self defense loads in the last 20 years a 110 gr. JHP bullet from a .357 will penetrate and expand as deeply (within an inch or so) as a heavier JHP bullet also designed for self defense. The same advances in bullet design also led to better rounds for self defense in other bullet weights which have largely relegated the 110 gr. loads to the position of an afterthought. Cor Bon makes a 110 gr. load at 1500 FPS. Because that bullet is well made it does not break apart. Neither does it expand too rapidly and inhibit penetration. This is simply a fact.

It was about 40 years ago that that Lee Jurras and his old company Super Vel popularized the concept of lighter weight JHP bullets at higher velocities for many handgun rounds. The 110 gr. loads were one result.

The concept that velocity and energy inhibit penetration is a misunderstanding of some concepts I believe. Easy enough to do. The problem that some have though is in explaining why a 9mm 115 gr.JHP bullet of good construction penetrates and expands deeply but a 110 gr. would not. Fact is they both act about the same. Bullet construction makes a difference.

When the higher energy round (110 at 1400-1500 fps) strikes the wet newsprint mentioned above it will shed it's energy more rapidly. But it also has more energy to shed. In doing so it will likely disrupt more of the tissue in making it's way through the newsprint than a heavier round. This is the actual result of it's shedding it's energy more rapidly than a 158 gr. round. Both though will be effective.

If we were looking at different types of bullets, a semi wadcutter round for example, then in that case the heavier round would penetrate more deeply than the lighter. But modern JHP rounds for 158 gr. loads are designed to not penetrate too deeply, only to about 12-14". This is the same as the 110 gr. loads.

I mentioned before that I prefer the 145 to 158 gr. loads as self defense loads in the .357 and this is because I shoot them faster and more accurately than the hot 125 gr. loads. With the heavier there is less muzzle flash and less felt recoil. I also feel that momentum makes a difference and the heavier rounds actually deliver a heavier blow. This last may not be actually correct but I believe they do.

tipoc

Originally posted by Lost Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv

It's not a bad loading as it delivers ballistics similar to a 9mm +P. The main disadvantages are that it will have less penetration than a heavier bullet and will likely shoot low in fixed-sighted revolvers (most .357's come from the factory sighted in for either 125grn or 158grn bullets). Also, very light revolvers like the S&W 360PD often have trouble with very light bullets jumping crimp under recoil. S&W actually reccomends against the use of bullets lighter than 120grn in their Scandium J-Frames.
Webleymkv, you should probably review your physics. Very lightweight bullets have less inertia than heavier bullets, therefore have less of a tendency to jump crimp when subjected to heavy recoil from its siblings earlier in the firing rotation. Its the HEAVY bullets with heavy loads in a LIGHTWEIGHT gun that bullets pulling out of their cases is a concern.

What you're forgetting is that the lighter bullet, for a given caliber, is typically also shorter than the heavier one. Because of the relatively small allowable variation in OAL, the heavier bullet must protrude farther down into the case. This means that there is more area for the case to grip the heavier bullet and hold it in place. This is why 158grn bullets are not as hard of the forcing cones of a K-Frame .357 as the lighter 125 and 110grn Magnums are: it takes longer, and thusly burns more powder, for enough pressure to build up to overcome the case's grip on the bullet. Honestly, I doubt that the recoil of a WWB 110grn .357 Magnum would be enough to cause the bullets to jump crimp unless the shooter had a very weak grip on the firearm, but the recoil of a Cor-Bon 110grn .357, which has a muzzle velocity over 200fps faster than the WWB, might have issues.

Originally posted by Tipoc
There is sometimes a gap between the theoritical and the actual.

Due to advances in bullet construction of self defense loads in the last 20 years a 110 gr. JHP bullet from a .357 will penetrate and expand as deeply (within an inch or so) as a heavier JHP bullet also designed for self defense. The same advances in bullet design also led to better rounds for self defense in other bullet weights which have largely relegated the 110 gr. loads to the position of an afterthought. Cor Bon makes a 110 gr. load at 1500 FPS. Because that bullet is well made it does not break apart. Neither does it expand too rapidly and inhibit penetration. This is simply a fact.

I agree that differences in bullet construction will make a larger difference than energy and momentum as far as penetration is concerned. That is why I chose Remington loadings of almost identical bullet construction to compare in my previous post.

The concept that velocity and energy inhibit penetration is a misunderstanding of some concepts I believe. Easy enough to do. The problem that some have though is in explaining why a 9mm 115 gr.JHP bullet of good construction penetrates and expands deeply but a 110 gr. would not. Fact is they both act about the same. Bullet construction makes a difference.

The difference is that of bullet construction. Both the WWB and Remington Express 110grn .357 Magnum loadings (two of the most common) use bullets of rather dated design (1970's) while many 9mm loadings use bullets of much more modern design with more emphasis placed on penetration rather than the greatest possible expansion. The problem with explaining it away with bullet construction is that given two modern 9mm loadings, a 147grn JHP with less velocity and less energy will often both outpenetrate and match or exceed the expansion of a higher velocity, higher energy 115 or 124grn loading with comparable bullet construction. This is illustrated in the following link (choose your 124grn +P, 127grn +P+, and 147grn T-Series bullets for comparison).

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

When the higher energy round (110 at 1400-1500 fps) strikes the wet newsprint mentioned above it will shed it's energy more rapidly. But it also has more energy to shed. In doing so it will likely disrupt more of the tissue in making it's way through the newsprint than a heavier round. This is the actual result of it's shedding it's energy more rapidly than a 158 gr. round. Both though will be effective.

When the lighter, higher velocity bullet strikes the wet newsprint, it sheds its energy through either losing mass (fragmenting) or losing velocity. Assuming that the bullet is of good design and does not fragment, it will shed its energy through velocity rather than mass. Energy is not what causes a bullet to penetrate, momentum is (the definition of momentum is the tendency of objects in motion to stay in motion). Assuming that we have two bullets of roughly equal energy, the lighter, faster on will be much more reliant upon velocity than the slower, heavier one to achieve both its energy and momentum. Once those two bullets start shedding velocity, the lighter one will penetrate less because the velocity being shed it what it was most reliant upon for its momentum. The heavier bullet, on the other hand, will continue to penetrate more deeply because even at its reduced velocity, the extra weight allows it to retain more momentum. While it is true that a light bullet at very high velocity with vastly more energy and momentum will often outpenetrate a heavy one at very low velocity (say a 110grn .357 Magnum as opposed to a standard pressure 158grn .38 Special), we're talking about .357 Magnum loadings exclusively and the ones we're discussing all have relatively high velocities and fairly similar amounts of energy. High energy does not necessarily equal shallow penetration, but high energy with low momentum does.

If we were looking at different types of bullets, a semi wadcutter round for example, then in that case the heavier round would penetrate more deeply than the lighter. But modern JHP rounds for 158 gr. loads are designed to not penetrate too deeply, only to about 12-14". This is the same as the 110 gr. loads.

So long as we compare JHP's of equal or similar construction, the heavier bullet will still penetrate more deeply. Also, .357 Magnum JHP's are often much more penetrative than you might think. In Brassfetcher's testing, the 125grn Speer Gold Dot loading penetrated in excess of 16" in bare gelatin and, while somewhat dated, Winchester 145grn Silvertips, Federal 158grn Hi-Shok, and Federal 158grn Hydra-Shoks all penetrated in excess of 15" in bare gelatin (the Hydra-Shock actually penetrated 24.7" but expanded very little likely due to the reduced velocity of being fired from a short barrel).

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Speer%20125%20grain%20Gold%20Dot%20hollowpoint.html

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/357magnum.htm

I mentioned before that I prefer the 145 to 158 gr. loads as self defense loads in the .357 and this is because I shoot them faster and more accurately than the hot 125 gr. loads. With the heavier there is less muzzle flash and less felt recoil. I also feel that momentum makes a difference and the heavier rounds actually deliver a heavier blow. This last may not be actually correct but I believe they do.

While I too prefer the 140-158grn loadings, it is not because I think the penetration of lighter bullets is inadequate. While the 110 and 125grn loadings don't penetrate as deeply as the heavier ones do, they still penetrate plenty deep enough for my purposes. The reasons I prefer the heavier bullets are that the flash and blast of them is less offensive, they lose less velocity when fired from short barrels, and they are more friendly to the forcing cone of my K-Frame S&W.

Some good points and work Webley. They tend to bear out my point though. As I said bullets with more mass tend to penetrate more deeply. It can be said that, in a sense, they use their energy more economically. Note that in the link you provided the penetration of the 9mm ammo from the 124 gr. to the 147 was within 1-2" depending on what barrier is being penetrated. Which supports my point (as do your other references) that modern bullet construction limits/allows penetration and expansion to 12-14" in 10 ballistic gelatin. Construction of the bullet limits the penetration of the heavier round to this depth and permits the penetration of the lighter to this depth while allowing expansion of both. Or at least it is supposed to. (Another reason I favor the heavier rounds, even if they do not expand they will penetrate.)

Modern self defense JHP ammo is built to the specs mentioned above. Hunting ammo is constructed differently altogether. A lead semi wadcutter HP will also act differently. In the case of the latter the heavier round will most certainly penetrate more deeply.

tipoc

Tipoc, I think we may be closer to agreeing with each other than we've realized. Yes bullet construction plays a much larger role in penetration than energy, velocity, or momentum. That being said, the specific 110grn .357 Magnum loads under discussion (Winchester and Remington) do not use modern JHP's but rather those of dated design. Because of the dated design of these bullets, I suspect that the manufacturers in question chose to drive them at a lower velocity than what they could have (Cor-Bon drives their 110grn .357's over 200fps faster, so we know it can be done) in order to reduce the chance of fragmentation and also increase penetration.

Really, my original point was that with a non-expanding bullet or one with limited expansion such as a jacketed soft point or a hollowpoint of dated design a bullet with a lower energy to momentum ratio will penetrate more.

Really, one of the nice things about a .357 Magnum (and really most revolver cartridges in general) is that even with dated JHP designs, they can still perform admirably due to not be subject to the same constraints as a semi-automatic cartridge.

I agree Webley. For a brief piece of time there seemed to be a place for a 110 gr. load for self defense. That time has passed. The original point of the load, back in the 70s, a lighter faster load with better terminal effect than the 125 gr. loads of the time, never quite panned out. Partly due to poor bullet construction and also in part as the 125 gr. loads got better.

A fella who wants less recoil than a 125 gr. at 1350 fps from a 4" barrel can get a 125 gr. at 1200 fps or a number of other loads with less felt recoil and muzzle flash.

For the .357 there are a wide variety of loads available in many bullet weights. A shooter can experiment with a variety of loads to see what suits them and their gun best.

tipoc

Quote.........Also, JHP's will often penetrate less, not more, at lower velocities as expansion isn't as aggressive. Ramping up the speeds to over 1200fps (as the .357 loads in question do) would likely cause those bullets to open bigger and penetrate less.

What??????????????????? Less expansion equals less penetration????:eek:

I have the SP101 w/2.25" barrel and I tested WWB 110 .357 and Hornady 158 XTP. I would submit the testing wasn't high tech but I was shooting for comparison to determine penetration and expansion from my weapon. I shot outdoors on a sunny 85 degree F, winds calm at 560 ft above sea level. I was shooting into one gallon milk jugs (I said it wasn't too high tech.) at a distance of 6 feet. I wanted precise center of jug comparison :)
I found that the 110 grain WWB penetrated 2 jugs exploding the jug #1 in half and stopping in the 3rd jug with a huge dent on the opposite side. The bullet came to rest flush with the opposite side and had expanded to .50". Pieces of lead shards/fragments were found in bottoms of 1st and 2nd jugs. The next rounds fired were Hornady Custom 158 gr. XTP.
The Hornady had significantly more recoil and did significantly more damage to the 1st water jug. The Hornady load penetrated 5 water jugs and expanded to .57 diameter. The WWB was easy to control and will be my Spring/Summer carry load and I will carry the Hornady load for Fall/Winter as it is still controllable just not as mild as the WWB.

well is it good for a snub? if you can hold onto the gun and get follow up shots rather quickly with it.

thats what really counts in the end. however somethign should be mentioned here some may not want to discuss.

when the revolvers era as a police mainstay ended, many people used the felt recoil and muzzle blast of the 110-125 grain loads from 30 ounce, 4 inch barrelled revolvers as being to much for officers to handle well.

physics and experience of many here admit that the muzzle blast will increase with less barrel in your snubnose. and those same standards apply when the weapons mass is reduced, recoil is increased.

I sometimes carry a .32 acp. So carrying a .357 with A 110 grain loading wouldn't bother me in the least.

In my j-frame, the 158gr are pretty brutal. The 110's are way softer shooting. The 125's are pretty tolerable as well. Thats what I've been toting lately.

For what it's worth I just clocked the 110 winchester round last weekend and I averaged a speed of 1364fps giving me 454ft/lbs out of a 6" GP100.

I can't think of any standard .357 load not killing someone so lethality shouldn't be a factor in chosing a round. That just leaves preferance in recoil, muzzle flash and point of impact among others.

Sneaky,

Do you know folks that actually prefer more recoil and blast when they are called upon to use a handgun for serious, interpersonal business?

i fired 50 of the 110gr win sjhp bullets thru a fixed sight taurus with 4" barrel.

they fired low so i tweaked my aim then they were dead on.

the box claims 1295 fps with a 110 gr bullets which if true seems light and slow for 357 mag.

they are a very mild shooting round in 4" 6-shot wheelgun....comfortable in a way.

taurus revolver manual at taurus usa only reccomends not shooting anything less than 125gr 357mag in their 'total titanium' revolvers and says nothing about issues firing sub 125gr bullets in steel revolversm not sure why or if its true. i guess if the110gr meet a sammi spec then no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back