338 win mag vs 375 h&h

If you can afford to go to Alaska and hunt deer and brown bear you can afford any rifle you want. In as much as I can't afford to hunt Alaska in the first place, my 30-06 is all I need. I did live in Alaska a couple years and my big rifle was a 308! I wouldn't give a though to using my 30-06 on a brown bear. Reason being I've had two 338 mag's years back and I shoot better without the recoil! If a cartridge for such a tuff animal come's down to a bunch of recoil and adequate with the right bullet, I'll take adequate every time.

Own both a 375 h&h and a 340 Weatherby. Had a 338 and turned it over for the 340. Both do a fine job and have used both for various AK and African game. MUCH prefer the 340 paired with a 458 Lott

I like my .338 Winchester Magnum a lot (I use the Savage brake system on the "on" position and double hearing protection when shooting from the bench; "off" when hunting) and never thought the recoil to be excessive. I have heard (never shot one) from more than a couple of people and sources that the .340 Weatherby Magnum kicks significantly more (at least in terms of "perception") than the .338, everything else being as equal as practical. Anybody here found that to be true-or not? Having had both, what was your experience/opinion, Scoits?

Never go full necro!

I ended up with a .375 RUM.
Instant dinosaur!

Familiar Remington 700 BDL.
Cool cartridge with a bit of brutality at both ends.

Fun to shoot a few rounds and then stop.:D

Back