338 win mag vs 375 h&h

If you're looking for a thumper and a wake-up call - consider purchasing a 378 Weatherby. Recoil wasn't all that bad 50 years ago but it's a bit much today.;)

Yes, the .338 Mag. is overkill for deer. But my son was using my 7mm on the same hunt. The big buck was quartering away @ 350 yards across a canyon. One shot and the buck dropped over dead in a few seconds. As much as I like my .243, I would not have tried that same shot with it due to the angle and distance. It helps greatly when you are confident in the gun, as I was with that light .338 load.

"But I don't hate the cartridge. Dislike the guys who shoot 'em instead of a cartridge they can shoot."

Ah, so it's not the cartridge at all, it's those who shoot it! I have noticed that there are no new magnums. I guess that's why. Everyone is switching from magnums to .338 and .375 Rugers. From 7mm Remington or Weatherby magnums to 280 Nosler. Aren't they?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its a bit silly to say you have to do one or the other and can't do both.

Frankly there is more POI when you are in any other position other than on a bench than a Brake is going to cause. Barrel harmonics change with the position.

That said, you range, sight in with the brake, then take it off and shoot a confirmation shot (or two or three)

Done deal, go hunting.

I don't like brakes at the range and feel they should be isolated. That does not mean they aren't a help nor that they can be managed to best advantage.

As I get older I get tired easier and in my case have gone to 1 inch recoil pads.

At the end of a days shooting and 150-250 rounds I am still beat.

my choice is 375 H&H. I have a pre 64 that is a tack driver with 270 gr and 300 gr bullets. I know it is overkill on deer, but I have used it on prairie dogs at 350 yds just for fun. A guide friend HAD a 338 WM and his client had a 300 WM on a bear hunt. 1st shot was at 200 yds in the heart and the bear covered 190 yds before it finally dropped. Both rifles were emptied into the bear as it charged. Both guide and hunter stained their pants and my guide friend said it was his last bear hunt.

Well I have two 35 Whelen's and one 375 H&H. The 375 H&H is an awesome rifle, only shot it out to 200 yards but it was accurate. It is a bit heavy and the amount of powder that goes into a case will eat up a pound of powder quickly.

How about a nice 35 Whelen? It will do everything you want and in a lighter rifle. Remington made a limited run of M700 35 Whelen's in 2016, the rifle has a 24" barrel and a nice and thick buttpad. The cartridge is typically loaded with a 250 or 225 grain bullet, older ammunition had 275 grain bullets. Either will make a big through hole in everything on the North American Continent.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/rifles/remington-classic-in-35-whelen-review/

Model700CDL_SF_84028_Beauty-3.jpg

From a person with no experience but a little wisdom, of course the .375 will properly kill anything up to rhino, but even that monster of a gun has limitations.

The .375 has the best BC of any caliber and can give a flatter trajectory if you want a 300 shooter. I believe that it is unnecessarily powerful for anything but the biggest bear in anything but absolute emergency. The .338 is capable of whacking big stuff, it's even used in Africa for non dangerous game.

Maybe the .416 would be a very good choice but distance may be less than ideal.

It seems to me, though, that you want the most powerful belted magnum you can buy, since you are even considering the .460. Do you know that you could line up three various and punch through all of them, or even two or three big bear? Can you control it for a second round if you just blow a leg off and fail to stop the charge?

The .460 is not a good choice. At one time the park service issued .375 rifles for hunting rogue grizzlies.

Think about A Square. You might get in for less than 3,000bucks, about the same price as a weatherby. You can maybe find a m70 for about half.

The .35 whelen is a powerful round but maybe minimal for dropping a charging, gigantic, raging, testosterone and adrenaline juiced bear?

Offhand, though, I think that it would be adequate.

what would be a good rifle to have it in that is stainless steel with open sights and a plus would be controlled round feed

If they still make it, the Savage Model 116 SE (Safari Express) meets all of your wishes, plus it came with a muzzle brake that can be turned on (for range shooting) or off (for hunting). Mine is chambered in .338 Magnum and it has proven to be a durable, reliable and accurate rifle.

I know I'm sounding like a bit of a fan boy--but if you really need "big 5 dropability" take a look at Mossbergs's new patriot in 375 ruger--it can be loaded up and down from "mild 45-70" to full power 375h&h and then some. $450 for a really well-made rifle IMHO.

On hearing a similar comment, a smart dudenal once replied: "Grow stronger

Well, I have a rupture disk that got fixed (and a bulged on that settled down)

Doc says I behave and I am good, be tough, well the wheel chair awaits.

And sadly, there is no beating age. You can work it to the limits, some go on forever (my wifes dad going good at 85) but I am more typical and with the restrictions not anything to be done.

So I take the woosie way out (grin) 1 inch recoil pads though I won't subject the range to the muzzle brakes.

I learned some here, my dad shot Sitka deer with a 30-06 and I don't recall a lot of damage, so maybe he poked a hole in them.

My experience with a 375 was it was a lot easier shooting than a 7mm.

I never felt the recoil with a 3 inch 12 gauge when hunting though I sure could non hunting.

375 Ruger sounds like an interesting go, ok in the US, I would not take it over sea (AK is but we are fairly mainstream and a State)

You better have a good deer shot though, hit bones and half the animal goes away.

I got nothing again a 338, just seems if you are going to jump, jump big.

6.5 Creed or the like, 30-06 (or my favorite 7.5 Swiss!) and 375 and you are good for anything (borrow a 458 if you need to and wind up over
Africa way)

^ ^ I think RC20 might be advising that .375 Ruger ammunition will be harder to find than the .375 H&H once you leave the United States.

I guarantee that you are right in the southern hemisphere, maybe the flanged 9.3 in some European areas, and the hh will be a whole lot easier to find in America, ammo and used rifles. I suspect that there will be pockets of the ruger in big game regions.

I simply reload for my 375 ruger--VERY easy to do for an "almost" big bore cartridge that fits conventional action sizes Simple sometimes is better. : ) If necessary--it can be very powerful.

22LR
243WIN
375H&H
458WIN

That about covers everything soup-to-nuts,
with "just the right" overlap & availability
;)

...and if you're a handloader... the smoothest curve in performance tailoring ya`ever saw:D

22LR
243WIN
375H&H
458WIN

That about covers everything soup-to-nuts,
with "just the right" overlap & availability

I would throw a 30 cal in there for big body deer but yeah.

Midway USA came up with a set of rifles raffled off a while back called "The nearly perfect Rifle Battery".

It was a set of model 70 Super Grades in the following cartridges

22-250
.270 win
.300 win mag
.375 HH

If you add a 22LR to that you are set for anything. You can hunt the big 5 in Africa with the .375 HH and 350 gr pills.
The .300 win mag for moose/Brown bear etc.
The .270 for deer /antelope
And a 22-250 for varmints or smallish - small/medium game.

And 22LR for really small game.

Mississippi said:
Midway USA came up with a set of rifles raffled off a while back called "The nearly perfect Rifle Battery".

It was a set of model 70 Super Grades in the following cartridges

22-250
.270 win
.300 win mag
.375 HH

My buddy won that set of rifles, but it wasn't through Midway. He bought his raffle ticket through an online forum like this one to support a youth shooting team. I've also seen that set of rifles being sold on Gunbroker. It's a nice set of rifles that will cover anything anyone could ever want to hunt.

Back