.327 Federal Club thread

Well, I'm a new member of the forum, and also new to 327 Federal.

Just took my LCR 327 out for it's second range trip a couple days ago.

Shot some AE 100gr from it.

That stuff is hot.

The guys on both sides of me put down the pistol screens (used to stop being pelted by semi auto brass).

In this case, they put the screens down to block the muzzle blast from my snub.

Some of the "no lower than 9mm" guys should try shooting 327 Federal American Eagle rounds -- might change their minds about thinking 32s are mouse guns.

"Interesting.

That same W231 load averages 1215 fps in my 5.5" Single Seven. The AE 100gr load averages 1485 fps.

I don't have a 327 Marlin but I did have a 32 H&R that would add 300-500 fps to what I would get out of my Single Six 32 H&R Mag. The velocity boost was lower using powders like Unique and higher using powders like Lil'Gun".

Yeah. That load (5.4gr, maximum) lists at 1261fps. With factory AE 100gr, there is approximately a 600fps difference between rifle and pistol. I've noticed that many times in others' data, the 5.5" S7 registers higher velocities than the 7.5". One attributes this to a tighter barrel/cylinder gap (he had all three barrel lengths). Before I waste too much more component material, I think I'm going to wait for my new 133gr Keith .315 bullet mold. I like the heavier bullets. Put a fresh battery in the old chronograph. See what happens then. Right now, I gotta walk a couple miles and rescue my ATV out of the desert. A wheel fell off yesterday just as the storm broke...

I should have posted this on the .327 reloading data thread.

The guys on both sides of me put down the pistol screens (used to stop being pelted by semi auto brass).

In this case, they put the screens down to block the muzzle blast from my snub.

You should have thrown in some .32 S&W just to mess with them.

Just took my LCR 327 out for it's second range trip a couple days ago.

Shot some AE 100gr from it.

That stuff is hot.

Yes, it is. I was surprised since it seems to be both the hottest and cheapest factory ammo. I really don't care for it in the LCR and previously reserved it for the SP101. I know it's a rare thing and can happen in any chambering, but after a few split cases and a blast that knocked the revolver out of time, I've decided to stay away from that load. Now I feed my LCR the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks and my SP101 gets the Gold Dots.

I'm still waiting for an economy-class FMJ but I'm not optimistic. I think this was another "failure to launch" factor for .327 Federal.

I'm still waiting for an economy-class FMJ but I'm not optimistic. I think this was another "failure to launch" factor for .327 Federal.

Lead, gas checks, and XTPs are all available, all work great. Plated not so much at these pressure/velocity levels. If lead is not allowed, one will just have to bear the expense of bullets or use a lower pressure round in a different gun.

"Now in the month of the scheduled release of the Henry 327 Federal Magnum rifle. Anxious to read a report."

I emailed Henry last week, and they sent an email back early this week, Monday I believe. The email said the .327 guns would be going to the distributors in 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm on the list for one at my LGS.

I called Henry on monday,They said it would be released at the end of the month. but wouldnt give me an exact date. I have one backordered at the LGS.

I also talked to the LGS about the Henry BBC .327 today, while on the phone getting them to send a copy of their FFL for some receivers/rifles coming my way.

A summary of the conversation:
LGS owner: "If Henry is shipping rifles soon, that means they're sending three of them to some Cabela's in Missouri! Nobody else is going to see them for a long time."

Me: "How 'bout I call you back as soon as I see some in Davidson's inventory?"

LGS: "Well, that won't do much good, 'cause there won't be enough for me to get any."

Me: "You still do business with Davidson's, don't you? I've gotten three firearms through you, ordered through the Gallery of Guns website."

LGS: "Yea, but we're small-time. We can't get crap, if there's only three rifles!"

Me: "Dude, calm down. I'll call you back when I see some in inventory, and have you order one. Or, I can just order one and have it shipped."

LGS: "Yea, good luck with that! It'll be next year! And I'd rather you call, if, by some miracle, there are any. I don't make a dime off the web orders!"

Me: "Take care. I'll see you next week. ...And I'll just get the Henry through Sportsman's [Warehouse], or the crusty guy on the point [angry curmudgeon of a black powder dealer and kitchen-table FFL that owns almost an entire hill over-looking the city]...."

Some people's kids...
...Can't take free money, even if it's stuffed directly into their pocket. :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I have seen nothing indicating that the .327 BBS and BBSC will be any kind of "exclusive".

It seems to me that they're a regular production item (which ships to any distributor that places an order).

I handled a .327 SP101 today and walked out of the store without it. It was not a particularly great deal at $635. I think its been there awhile. I may go back and offer $550 and see if they'll take it out of desperation.

I still want one.
But I blew the Henry .327 fund on a Marlin 36 that I couldn't let pass me by. :rolleyes:

I may need to start working some magic to repopulate the fund.

April 10th and still no Henry 327 carbines released. losing interest myself.

I still want one.
But I blew the Henry .327 fund on a Marlin 36 that I couldn't let pass me by...

I've got this problem brewing as well. I was almost bouncing off the walls with excitement, and then they left me hanging. The longer I've been hanging and the longer that cash sits in the can, the more I wander to other ideas and other projects. Henry's quality and my love of .327 has held for months but how long can it last in the veritable sea of cool stuff I can buy today? (Heck, their weather-proofed .357 lever gun is starting to call my name.)

That said, public interest is a fickle thing. Given the .327's poor launch and difficulty maintaining a spot in the market, I find myself growing impatient with Ruger for neglecting their baby. Companies should know that introducing a new pistol cartridge is a big deal and requires ongoing care and active effort. When I look at a company like Armscor and see how they treat the .22 TCM, I can't help but shake my head at Ruger. With all the other new stuff they've been rolling out, maybe they could bring back the GP100, possibly in different barrel lengths? How about a high-capacity 6" Redhawk? Why not the new LCRX? Henry's new rifle should breathe a little new life into things but Ruger really needs to step things up.

Last edited:
It's the way things work.
When I don't have the money, things that I want make themselves appear.
When I have the money, nothing good is out there at reasonable prices.
And then when I'm waiting on a very particular item and have the money ready, something pops up that I just can't ignore.

In other news...
I ran across an old Marlin in .32 H&R, yesterday. It appears to be a rebarreled 1893 .32-20, that was distressed to look old again.
Got some wheels turning.

Actually, it got the wheels spinning at such velocity that I couldn't sleep last night. It's rare for a firearm to do that to me.

The "problem" is that I know where there's a Marlin 1893 (unknown chamber, .30-30 suspected) that was beaten, battered, drilled for multiple receiver sights and then welded to fill (poorly), and just generally treated like garbage for 100 years. It looks like it, quite literally, bounced around behind the seat of a truck, with tire chains, jacks, tire irons, pipe wrenches, and various other nasty objects for most of its life.

It is in pretty poor condition externally, but solid, smooth inside, and the bolt-to-receiver fit is still excellent (though ugly). Not very appealing to anyone else, but very tempting to me -- especially since the current owner generally refuses to sell the rifle (it's a decoration), but is willing to sell it to me, because he knows I'll give it a second life.

It would make a very cool 'rat-rod' .327 Federal, after a rebarrel, magazine sleeving, some action work, and distressing the barrel to match the receiver.

I really, really want.
...But I have too many projects, already.

This is going down as expected. I'd rather Henry take their time and get it right. Over optimistic schedules are an affliction most of us (Henry) succumb to. I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
I'm anxious to get one, but things happen and schedules slip on occasion. I sent another email asking for the next date, but it was late last week. No reply yet.

They'll reply, they always do.

I agree that it would be better to wait until all is ready to go rather than rushing to market.

Back