.327 Federal Club thread

Since my post in 2016 I have become the owner of two more .327s....both Rugers.

Was at a local shop last fall and they had two LCRs on the "used" shelf. One was listed as unfired and was a little over $500.00. The second looked just like it with box and paperwork...$340.00... I asked the salesman why the difference in price...he just shrugged...so I took the "used" one...

Then a few weeks ago I was in another shop where they price used guns to move quickly... There was another customer holding a SP101/3"...the tag hanging down said ".327 Federal, $399.99". He was asking the salesman about it who had no clue what a .327 Federal was so he got another salesman who told him the round was rare and expensive...it was a GREAT day...

Have shot both guns with my only load for the Freedom Arms 97 which is a 120 grain cast bullet with 8.5 gr. of AA7...1400 from the 97s 6.5" barrel. Shoots good in the SP101 but just a little warm for the LCR...

Also went a little .327 crazy... The handgun I have had the longest dates from about 1974...a 1961 vintage 6" S&W 53 .22 Jet with an extra rimfire cylinder. Already burned out the original barrel shooting over a 1000 Jet rounds through it and was lucky enough to find an identical replacement barrel. It has not seen a Jet round in 20 years so not wanting to sell it and having lots of S&W .22 revolvers sent the gun and extra cylinder to Jack Huntington to be converted to .327. He is reboring the original burned out barrel and rechambering the .22 Long Rifle cylinder to .327. This will leave the new replacement barrel and original .22 Jet cylinder intact just in case someone in the future wants to convert the gun back to .22 Jet. The only loss of course will be the very rare .22 rimfire cylinder. Talked to Jack a couple of days ago and he said the barrel is out for reboring and the project should be done in April...just when shooting season starts...

Last week I cast 1300 Accurate 31-120S bullets and finished sizing them yesterday...all ready for another shooting season.

Bob

I recently purchased an LCR 327 Fed Mag - not for me, but for my students who are recoil sensitive or compromised for one reason or another (arthritis, age, Parkinson's, injury, or just weak). No, not chambered in the 327 Federal Magnum but, maybe the 32 H&R Magnum or certainly the 32 long.

Most of my students are newbies. Many are compromised. I recently held a Basic Pistol Class that was a group of 12 ladies, average age 65 y.o. One of my assistant instructors had an LCR 327 Fed Mag and only brought 32 long cartridges. After many of the ladies struggling with even a Ruger SR22 due to dealing with the magazine and basic manipulations, most were able to shoot the LCR 327 reasonably well. The trigger is much smoother than even an LCR in 22lr, that one of the ladies had. The trigger pull on the 22lr was easily twice the pull weight of the 327.

Some experienced shooters may scoff at the 327. I used to. Sure, many of us can handle a 357mag or a 45cal, but many can not. Especially the new, female, elderly and compromised shooters. Their numbers are legion. My wife loves the LCR 327, as long as it's chambered in 32 long or 32 H&R Mag, at most. No way with the 327 Federal Magnum load for her or many like her.

It's been said that a 22lr is better than nothing. Well, IMHO, an LCR 327 Fed Mag shooting 32 longs is even better than a 22lr for those who are recoil sensitive and better off with the simple operation of a revolver.

Elite Club

I know when 'elites' get caught, they put them in 'federal' places for punishment [like Country Club treatment].
I would like to join this .327 Federal Club.....can you tell me the requirements to be accepted in?
Do I need to write an essay, fill out a form(s), or slap my Grandma....to get in?

None of us really wanted to be in a club, either.

We preferred the Original Orthodox Maternal Brotherhood of Benevolent and Synergistic Peristrofikós Triacontadimillia.

But, we bought .327s and were admitted automatically.

Original Orthodox Maternal Brotherhood of Benevolent and Synergistic Peristrofikós Triacontadimillia.

Oh heck, I am already in that 'bat cage', at least since 2013 when I posted my first positive reply on the .327 on TFL.
Do I owe any back dues?

Federal AE 100gr JSP run 1541fps in my 7 1/2" Single Seven over a Pact Model 1 chronograph. 2128fps from the 20" Marlin barrel. Nice difference.
I loaded up some Rainier 100gr plated HP with 5.3 grains W231 (.1 grain under suggested maximum), COAL 1.495. Five shot strings averaged 1675fps in the Ruger. 1673fps in the Marlin.

Hmmmmmmm.

Now in the month of the scheduled release of the Henry 327 Federal Magnum rifle. Anxious to read a report.

Thats what I'm waiting on. I've already saved up the money just waiting for the release. And it's killin me:(

deserted wrote:
Federal AE 100gr JSP run 1541fps in my 7 1/2" Single Seven over a Pact Model 1 chronograph. 2128fps from the 20" Marlin barrel. Nice difference.
I loaded up some Rainier 100gr plated HP with 5.3 grains W231 (.1 grain under suggested maximum), COAL 1.495. Five shot strings averaged 1675fps in the Ruger. 1673fps in the Marlin.

Hmmmmmmm.

Interesting.

That same W231 load averages 1215 fps in my 5.5" Single Seven. The AE 100gr load averages 1485 fps.

I don't have a 327 Marlin but I did have a 32 H&R that would add 300-500 fps to what I would get out of my Single Six 32 H&R Mag. The velocity boost was lower using powders like Unique and higher using powders like Lil'Gun.

Back