.327 Federal Club thread

I'm going to take a long, hard look at the .327 LCR.

I've been wanting at least one more .327, to 'round out' my collection. And, I've also been wanting to ditch the S&W 642 that I sometimes carry. I honestly don't trust it, and I've sometimes wondered about its history (due to the manner in which I acquired it).

If the weight of the LCR seems to fit my needs, it will likely replace the 642.

Pretty sure it's going to happen.....

Opinions, everyone:

Would .32 H&R Mag be safe to shoot in a Nagant revolver that has been sleeved for .32 S&W? Not sure about pressure considerations. I know .327 is completely out of the question. (Sleeving was done with seamless stainless steel sleeves epoxied in place with aircraft structural adhesive epoxy that took about 30 days to cure.)

The gun actually handles .32 ACP quite well.

I would say that shooting 32H&R Mag in a gun designed for 32 Nagant and reworked to handle .32S&W would be unsafe.

The sleeves might help or hurt depending on a number of factors.

I wouldn't do it.

I got an inventory notification from Davidson's earlier, for the .327 LCR.

One is on its way to my local FFL, with my name on it.

If anyone has been wondering about "street prices" on the LCR, it seems to be $500 in my neck of the woods (Utah / Idaho), to order one. This one, in particular, will run $498.29, out the door.

I may actually get $12 knocked off of that, since I'm a CCP holder.
I'll be taking the S&W 642 and a few other irritations in to offset that cost.

Retail, in a gun shop, I'd expect $445 on the low end, and $475-80 for typical pricing. ...But that's just a public-educated guess, based on past experience.

I haven't put many rounds through it, yet. And I have only dry-fired it 100-150 times, but I have carried my .327 LCR quite a bit.
I'm satisfied with it. I'd be a little happier if the cylinder gap was tighter, and if it locked up a little more snugly; but it's perfectly serviceable.

And, for those that haven't seen the other threads...

It's based on the .357 frame, which means it's the stainless steel model (rather than aluminum).

HKS speedloaders do bind on the grip, just like other LCRs.

Cylinder length is 1.550".

It's not as "snappy" as most .38/.357 snubs that I've fired (my perception). ...And, so far, I've only fired the 'big daddy' 100 gr SP American Eagle load. I'll try the 85 gr Hydra-Shok "reduced recoil" load soon. I'm curious to see what that feels like.

Just as I did with my (now gone) J-Frame, I'm shooting very low at 3-10 yards. Since most people don't have the same problem with similar revolvers, I'm going to chalk it up to just me. I'll work on it and figure it out. As the trigger group wears in and I stop jerking it on a few chambers (:rolleyes:), I'm sure some improvement will come naturally.

Last edited:
And just a quick request:

I'm trying to compile a list of cylinder lengths for .327 Federal revolvers.
So far, I have the GP-100, Blackhawk, and LCR.
Can some one with the other .327 revolvers post the cylinder length? (Please include make, model, and variant [such as for Taurus with multiple barrel lengths]. They shouldn't be different, but you never know...)

What I know I'm missing right now:
Single Seven
SP-101
S&W 632
Taurus 327 (2", 3", 3" ported)
Charter Arms Patriot (2.2", 4")

I feel like I'm missing something else with that list...

My Ruger SP101 3" barrel has a cylinder length of 1.575" ... if that helps any.

I realize that some people don't see the point of the 327 federal magnum, while others like myself love it. Thing is, I shoot my 327 SP101 considerably better than I do my 357 SP101. I don't have any reasonable explanation for it, just know that I do. Combine that with one additional round in the cylinder and virtually no detectable difference between carrying either in my Kangaroo on a daily basis knowing the performance of the rounds... what's not to love?
I would so very much welcome the round chambered in a lightweight good quality lever action. Think I've said before that would be one of my 'grail' guns without question.

I picked up my .327 LCR yesterday. I havent fired it yet. Initial impressions, I was surprised at how stiff the cylinder release button is. Closing the cylinder also requires more force than i am used to with either smiths or the ruger sp 101. The trigger pull is also feels on the heavy side to me. It does feel comfortable in the pocket in a holster.

Back