.327 Federal Club thread

Who are you addressing? Are you in charge here? How about some specifics?

BTW I have two 327 Federal Magnums, so don't leap to conclusions. Take responsibility for your own inferences.

Last edited:
I have probably a stupid question but what would a .327 mag be good to used for pertaining to hunting. What type of game would this be good on I am asking because a local gun shop has a Ruger Single seven with a 5 1/2" barrel. I am very interested in this cartridge but I use all my guns for hunting. I know that this was designed for a self defense round but from what I can tell about it it could also shine as a general small game:) to medium game (Deer):D cartridge but I have never shot one so this opinion is based on what I have read about the cartridge. Thanks

well Real Gun you sorta answered your own question about a Redhawk in 327 mag with your comment about the S&W M617, except it being 327 mag vs 22. also i think a 8-9 shot 4.2 bbl Redhawk would make for an awesome woodsgun, heck some folks use a 22lr for a woodsgun, and there nothing wrong with that as long they're comfortable with using a 22lr for a woodsgun, and the 327 is supposed to be a low recoiling cal, i bet in a Redhawk frame, it would be a no recoil proposition, thus would probably be super accurate and flat shooting wheelgun. also i wouldn't so much call a 327 mag Redhawk a"fantasy gun", because Ruger did make 357mag Redhawks, and if they wanted to they could make 327 mag Redhawks, if there was enough interest from the gun buying public, and yes i understand that it would be a "niche" segment of the market, but there is still interest in such a gun.

Last edited:
I don't know much about handgun hunting so I'm also curious if people have experience with a .327 they'd like to share. It's really a shame that so much of the focus was on self-defense and a rifle wasn't offered. I've made a few comments about poor execution that are largely unchallenged. This is such a cool cartridge and it was never really given the chance to find its place. I hope that changes but I'm not holding my breath. Every day without a new gun being produced in .327 is another step into obscurity. If we're gonna make this happen, we've gotta snap at these limited runs, buy some factory ammo, take it out when you shoot with friends, and contact distributors and manufacturers about our interest. Let them smell some demand.

To each his own, for sure, but I have two Redhawks in 45 Colt, 4.25 and 5.5" barrels, and cannot picture them as having any sensible purpose in 327 Federal Magnum. As always, I speak for myself.

As far as recoil goes, that has become part of shooting for me, although I don't enjoy a mismatch of gun mass and caliber/load taking the fun out of shooting. I enjoy my fire breather 44 Magnum.

The SW 617 as a 10-shot 22 compared to the Redhawk in 327 is not a fair comparison, because the 22 has roots in competition. The gun has a purpose other than being something we don't own yet, compulsive about buying a specimen of the whole cataloging.

The 8 round, N-frame, 9mm S&W 929 gun is another goofy thing that is for and about competition. Who would carry that? My 9mm revolver is a Charter Arms Pitbull six shooter.

I might change my mind someday, but I prefer a carry revolver to be a six shooter. I will carry a little heavier gun to make that possible. Ironically, my favored carry is a SW 696 with 5 rounds of 44 S&W Special. I never carry an N-frame, so I accept that this medium sized, L-frame platform has its limitations.

With 327 Federal Magnum, I have the near perfect gun in the SP101 6-shot, which I would set aside in a heartbeat, if they came out with a 4" barrel version that was equally nice otherwise. I don't shoot a 3" gun nearly as well.

Last edited:
If we're gonna make this happen, we've gotta snap at these limited runs, buy some factory ammo, take it out when you shoot with friends, and contact distributors and manufacturers about our interest. Let them smell some demand.

I've never really thought about it that way. I've just been smugly sitting back with my pile of brass, lead, reloading dies and bullet mold thinking I was really ahead of the curve.

The problem is, that attitude will eventually put me behind the curve. Unless I'm willing to fiscally support this fine cartridge, it will die out sooner than later.

I'm heading to midway to buy some ammo now. I don't need it, but I'll use the brass, and I'll add to the demand for the fine .327.

I have a great interest in the .327 Mag, however right now the funds are lacking. That does not diminish my desire to obtain one in the future though.

So why put 8 shots of skinny .327 in a big honkin' wheelgun? A 5.5" to 7" barrel attached to a solid platform would make long range shooting of coyotes, prairie dogs, fox, raccoons and other pests much easier. And since many come in groups, having 8 shots gives you ample opportunity to score hits. It's more than a match for the old .32-20 which ranchers and farmers used for decades.

For those who hike in the woods or wilderness areas, the .327 has lot of potential with a longer barrel. Pushing a 100 grain pill at 1800 fps from a 6" tube gets you 719 ft-lbs of gee-whiz at the muzzle. At shorter ranges (up to 50 yards) that's certainly magnum-level performance. That kind of power makes it worth the extra weight.

The .327 was invented as a defensive cartridge for a 3" barrel and it has great potential as a fight-stopper. Longer barrels simply expand it's utility with the added advantage of being relatively economical to reload.

I am very surprised, given the comments, that no one has yet made a lever action carbine with a 16"-18" barrel as yet. This round begs for one. And reloaders would be happy as pigs in slop trying to optimize for a rifle. A nice light 16" carbine would make a nice camp rifle or ranch rifle.

Took my Single Seven to the range this last weekend, and got several other shooters asking questions about it. One couple was trying to find something that the young lady liked better than a snappy .380 she has shot. They were shooting a GP100 with .38 rounds. I let her shoot the S7 with .32H&R loads in it, and she really liked it. They wanted to know where they could get one, and I told them. Spreadin' the word one range trip at a time!

Farmboy... I suppose your right I should pony up for a couple boxes of 327 ammo. Most likely the only chance we may have to get that carbine..

I wonder what it would take to get a Rossi M92 converted to 327???
If it was a grand I may consider it as a one off.

Just a few years ago, I cradled a Marlin 1894CB in .32 mag in my arms, pondering the purchase. I decided that spending just a few dollars north of $500 was too much.

I decided wrong.........:mad:

Last edited:
I know that sturdy revolvers in .32 H&R magnum, like older Sp101s, can be converted to .327 Federal by a gunsmith. I seem to recall pressure concerns about doing this with carbines though. Are those concerns accurate?

I'm looking for WS-231, Titegroup, or Accurate No 5. First time I've looked for powder in the last three years. I hope finding pistol powder isn't like finding rimfire ammo

32 H&R Mag chrony results Prograde Hunting

My gun shop guy recommended Prograde 32 H&R Mag ammo for something to try through my SP101 .327 Fed Mag. So I bought a box of 113 Gr. Hunting Grade cartridges and got to run some over the Chrony today. I don't hold that the F1 Shooting Chrony is calibrated perfectly, so your results may differ.

Only shot 5. Average velocity was about 1000 fps. That produces (according to JBM Calculators) about 250 ft. lb of muzzle energy. Here is the link to Prograde Ammo:
http://www.progradeammo.com/hunting-grade-handgun-ammunition.html

I was set up with the targets etc on the 100 yard range so just shot them into the dirt bank at the far end of the shooting lane. Have no idea about accuracy. The ammo would make a 5 inch barreled revolver a fairly decent round for self defense--however it is a hard cast lead flat nose bullet, so penetration would be the best feature. Better than the .380 ACP IMO.

Went to the LGS yesterday and he has a Single 7. It's a real beauty and I'm really tempted. I want it!! It seems like a perfect platform for this round. Unfortunately funding isn't there right now since we are in the middle of adopting a kiddo. So that has kind of drained us financially. Hopefully these will still be available in a year or two. For now I'll have to stick with my SP101.

Back