327 fed levergun????

There's just one problem with that idea: .32-20 sucks. :D

.32-20 is not easy to reload and can't shoot .32 S&W Long or H&R Magnum.

What I'm liking about the .327 rifle Henry is going to hopefully ship is the .32 Long will be ballistically something like a hot .22 LR, the .32 H&R akin to .22 Magnum, and .327 will be like a hot .22 Hornet.

Much more versatile compared to the antiquated .32-20

.32-20 is not easy to reload
(Polite cough) Do you, perchance, have a 32-20?
antiquated .32-20
With modern powders & modern actions, at least as antiquated as the .45 Colt now finds itself to be.

(You probably don't like the 44-40 either) (BIIIG :D)

Last edited:
I am going to get one. I am anxious to see what the street prices are. At an MSRP of $850, I would assume you can score one for mid 600s. Mine will be a tidy little 16.5" carbine in steel. I already hand load for it in my SP101. I wonder what kind of velocity I'd get out of the 16.5 barrel. Way to go Henry!

Only Issue I have with hopping up the 32-20. I can sure make a good load for my Savage but I just get nervous because I have a few revolvers in 32-20 that would not take to kindly to a hot 32-20 load going through them.
I have some for sure. But I keep them locked up so my Son wont grab some by mistake.
Just a issue I wont have to worry about with the 327 magnum. If it works in one it works in all.
That way I can keep all my 32-20 loads safe for all my guns.

Besides.... I went past buying guns for need many many years ago.
I buy them because its what I want. A Lever gun in 327 magnum is what I want now.:cool:

101_9596_zps79ded8d3.jpg

This baby really really needs a woods partner.

100_9590_zpsf5da8611.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad someone is jumping on the 327 bandwagon. I was hoping Ruger would step up to the plate with a 77/327 bolt action rifle since they are single handily keeping the 327 in existence.

I am glad someone is jumping on the 327 bandwagon. I was hoping Ruger would step up to the plate with a 77/327 bolt action rifle since they are single handily keeping the 327 in existence.

Considering Ruger just discontinued pistol calibers in the model 77 it's doubtful.

Got me one.. Well sort of.
I just finished paying off a lay A Way on a 300 Black out Ruger American rifle.
I asked about the Henry in 327 magnum when they become available.
He said he has two of them on order but they are not ready to ship as yet.
But I could put it on lay away now and pay it off after they start to ship them.
Works for me!!!
Only because they have provided what they said they would and I have paid what I said I would when I said I would.

So, ballistically between .327 Fed Mag and .357 Mag, what are the pros and cons of each? I'd imagine that the .327 is going to have a flatter trajectory and be a better small game rifle than a .357 would be if shot from a rifle.

As soon as the 327s are shipped I plan on getting one. This combination, lever rifle in 327 magnum, made too much sense someone had to produce it.

The 327 Federal is being introduced at a slightly lower pressure than the 357 was originally so It might be down graded to 33000 psi in the future although it doesn't have near the recoil velocity of the 357 mag which was the reason S&W asked to have the SAAMI pressure dropped - twice.

It won't displace the 357 but I believe there is a large population to absorb the new round (ok, it's not exactly a new round). Turkey guns in carbine and hog guns in full rifles are possible if the right bullet weights are available. If more manufacturers don't start making ammo available and more gun manufacturers don't make guns for it we might see it go away fast.

Let's face it, the idea of a shared round between a carbine/rifle and pistol has always held a place in the heart and mind of shooters in America.

The 327 Federal is being introduced at a slightly lower pressure than the 357 was originally so It might be down graded to 33000 psi in the future ...

The SAMMI 327 magnum MAP has always been 45,000 PSI. Current 357 magnum is 35,000 PSI. The 357 magnum was 45,000 on the old CUP scale but that is lower when measured on the current Piezoelectric Transducer Pressure system that measures in PSI.

In a rifle (even a short 16" version), the 327 should really shine. With the SAMMI 327 MAP of 45,000 PSI, loading can effectively use primer appearance to judge approaching limits. The longer barrel allows high pressure loads without all the "atomic fireball" muzzle blast you get from a short handgun. The extra length will also allow all of that high peak chamber pressure to get translated into muzzle velocity.

Some worry about the high pressure rating, but the small diameter really does make a difference and it keeps the stresses low on the barrel and reciever.

For overall "general purpose" pistol cartridge lever gun use, the 357 and 44 are still tops. However, for simple fun shooting or for small game harvesting, a 32 just sounds so right. I can argue that a 32 H&R is a better choice for some (where lower power loads are the primary use), but the 327 in a rifle really does have the potential for more effective range in the field.

The usefulness of this rifle/cartridge combo kind of escapes me. A bit light for deer, and a bit much for rabbits, squirrels, or turkeys. I guess it would be good for Javelina, but that's a pretty niche market.

I like the idea, I think, but what's it for?

Back