.243 vs 6.5 Creedmoor for Whitetail and General Hunting

No way I would ever choose a 243 over a 6.5mm when we are talking deer hunting, The only real contest is the 6.5mm vs the equally fantastic 7mm-08, I have owned both for years (a 6.5x55 not a CM) and I still cannot decide which one is better. The kids can shoot both so I doubt your girlfriend would have an issue with the recoil.

The only advantage to a .243 Win over anything else discussed is ammo availability/choice. But that's not to say the .243 Win isn't adequate for deer. However I wouldn't be comfortable with anything larger, and I just prefer to have a bit of caliber than use what many feel is the minimum. But this rifle isn't for me either...

The 6.5 was designed to send a ballistically efficient bullet a long way w/o generating unpleasant recoil.
The 243 was designed to be a compromise between a varmint and light/medium game hunting round.
The 6.5 has become the "whiz kid" on everyone's list but I see nothing really worthwhile in it's capabilities beyond what I already shoot.

I have a .243 that I enjoy. While I have nothing negative to say about the 6.5 other than the bandwagon popularity it is getting right now if I had to have something more than the .243 but less than a .270 it would end up being a 2.57 Roberts

From everything I read on the 6.5 (and there is more out there right now than anyone could read) it seems to be a tremendous cartridge with a major following.

Ah, yes. The .257 Roberts is another good light recoiling option.

I've always preferred the higher BC's of the 6.5 and 7 mm's. Really not that important in most hunting applications I suppose unless one hunts the plains and such though. A .30-30 Win would likely do all you'd need as well since most game is taken within 100 yds.

I have a RAR 7mm-08 with a muzzle brake that takes anything from fox to elk.

I'd probably be just as satisfied with a 6.5CM.

I've not shot a 6.5, but I sure am interested. So I can't comment on it's recoil.

But I do know that the .243 is a great cartridge for whitetail deer. Recoil is very low, so low that she'll be able to keep the animal within in the scope view immediately after the shot. And a 100 grain .243 is great for deer. The core-lokt will put them down hard with excellent expansion and complete penetration. And the other, more modern bullets will do just as well! Go with the low recoil round and she'll shoot better and enjoy it a lot. JMHO.

I like both, but for a more versatile gun the 6.5MM beats the 243. I would also point out a fact to consider:

the 6.5CM is a shell designed to fit in the NATO length detachable magazine and still be able to use very long "VLD" bullet without problems in seating length. So if you are not going to buy a gun with a NATO length mag, the 260 Remington or the 6.5 Swede both beat the 6.5 Grendel when loaded to the same pressures and fired from the same barrel length.

No disrespect in intended to the CM, but if you buy a rifle with a magazine long enough to take the longer shell, you'll be as well or better off with the longer shell.

Since recoil is a primary consideration i would choose 243. If you reload there are a few other good choices. Tons of 243 ammo on the shelves. Nothing wrong with "bigger" but not needed for whitetails. We all get caught up in the "new and improved" and im no exception but that does not make the old cartrige that has been killing deer for 50 years any less lethal.

I started with a 7mm mag and put it in the closet when i got my 270. I love my 270 but bought a 243 when my daughter started hunting. Now my 270 barely gets dusted off. Between my daughter and I we have shot dozens of deer and only remember one going more than 20 yards (that one was due to poor shot placement and not the bullet). I see no advantage to going with a larger caliber unless the bullet is going to gut it and skin it on the way through. Dont think the deer care either. Keeping in mind the limitation of the bullet we only shoot clean broadside shot, we do not try to quarter a deer through the shoulders or shots we cannot get both lungs. I am a meat hunter and have no problems letting one walk away.

Have her shoot what she is comfortable with and stay within the limitations. Shot placement trumps caliber. My buddy uses a 223 bolt action and has no issues. Shots are less than 150 yards. We also share the same philosophy that we do not shoot unless it is a clean broadside shot.

Larger caliber can be advantageous if you take less than optimal shots and need deep penitration to quarter through to reach vitals. Also benificial if you are a long range hunter and want less wind drift but this is more specialized and best left to experienced shooters.

with that kind of experience I am obliged to ask: where do you aim?
Probably where most do. Right behind the shoulder about a third of the way up. Unless the shot is a long one then I'll fudge up a bit higher to account for bullet drop.
I always try to wait until the deers front leg is stepped forward too.
Thats just a habit held over from bow hunting more than anything.

Well, we all know I love the Roberts.....but the OP didnt include it, so I'll say....

6 of one, half dozen of the other. No recoil sensitive beginner will be able to exploit the advantages of tje Creedmoor.

...but the .257 IS mighty fine, too.

Wife is recoil sensitive.

Two things to get right that are more important than cartridge:

1. Stock Fit
Especially LOP. My wife likes 12.5". A nice recoil pad included in that 12.5" is also indicated.

2. PAST Recoil Pad
At least from the bench. Get the thicker, wider one. Made a world of difference.

==============

Cartridges
Both Federal and Remington offer reduced recoil .308Win loadings. Rem has a 125gr spire point good for longer range shots, Fed has a 150 or 170gr RNSP for thump up close. Hornady has one, too, IIRC. Your current rifle in .308Win, with a smaller stock, and her wearing a PAST pad, shooting reduced recoil loads may be a solution.

I own a .243Win and my wife has taken game with it. It works, but you really want a premium bullet if you value penetration. 100gr Nosler loaded by Federal is good hog medicine. Hornady 90 or 95gr SST is more accurate and I would trust versus less stout critters. [The Ruger American Compact rifle is a good inexpensive rifle...if you buy a Boyd's stock to replace the awful factory stock. Paid $325 for one.]

Had I a do-over, I would prefer she had a 6.5 Swede (or 6.5Creed or .260Rem) as a do-all rifle from bitty critters up to Elk.

But, really, lots of low-recoiling deer cartridges will do the job:
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.260 Rem
6.5 Creed
6.5 Grendel
7mm Mauser
.257 roberts
7mm-08

Good lcuk.

One of our rifles is a Tikka in 260. It shoots 100 gr Nosler BTs and 120 gr Nosler BTs into the same tight group. I reload for it, and when the wife hunts, she uses the 100 gr loads, which are very light in recoil. The 120’s have a noticeable increase in recoil, but much less than my 270.

Both bullets have been deadly on deer and hogs, though I will say that I think the 120’s do better on the larger hogs. I see no reason to shoot the heavier bullets like the 130’s and 140’s, preferring a MV at or near 3000 fps, which I can get with the lighter bullets (can’t quite get the 120’s there, but close enough)

Of the two choices I'd go with .243. Either cartridge will do the job but the .243 is eaier to get and to find rifles chambered in.

However you might just invest in a better recoil pad for the .308 and or one of the other ways to reduce recoil.

Remington Model 7__ 243cal. Have her practice shoot some 80 gr anything that's accurate. 80 gr will drop any animal the 100 gr can and do it faster and with less recoil. Little model 7 is a light weight_ short in oal length_ skinny barreled creature that any slight in frame person would like. Buy a wood stocked one. In that manor its stock can be shortened to fit her shoulder to a T >by a compediant gunsmith.<

Or you could get something in the middle

I would think either would work but a compromise would be the 250 Savage more caliber than the 243 win and less recoil than both but still very able to take game out past 300 yards.Ammo while not readily available everywhere is still available.I'm debating this same question for my wife who says she wants to go with me next year.

When it comes to the 6.5 the 260, and the 7mm-08, ballistically they are very, very close. The 6.5 has bullets with better BC but at longer distances my vote goes to the 7mm-08. If you are going to use your rifle for hunting only I would for go the 6.5 creedmore and choose a 7mm-08. Recoil is about the same between a 243 and a 308. If you reload you can load your 7mm-08 for varmint with light bullets or heavy for deer with a 140 grain bullet to heavier for elk and can drop one at 300 yards. Just my 2 cents. The craze is the 6.5 but the smart choice is the 7mm-08

Sticking my nose back in again:

It seems the key points are there---------
#1 The rifle has to be good for a small woman. So it can't kick much and I'd assume it can't be too heavy
#2 It has to be a proven performer on White Tail Deer.

So the counter questions are these:

(A) Are you dedicated to a bolt action?
(B) Will the rifle ever be used for anything larger then deer?

If it will never be used for anything bigger that deer you might look hard at an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. The AR15 kicks less than any other rifle I know of for the power it generated with the 2 cartridges I mentioned.

The 6.5 Gren. is about like a 6.5 Jap in power but shoots a bit lighter bullet.

The 6.8 SPC is about like the original 257 Roberts in power shooting a 115 grain bullet instead of a 117 grain bullet like the Roberts, but shooting it about 100 FPS faster if the barrel length is the same.

Another gun to look at is the Browning BLR in 260 Remington or 243 Winchester. In the light weight version it's truly a delight to carry and quite accurate in most examples

If the budget allows but if you can't go over 500 you are far more limited.
At $500 and less your choices are much skinnier. One to perhaps look at (if you reload your own ammo) is a Savage Axis with a fast twist barrel in 223. Shoot only Bonded, Partition bullets and/or expanding solids for deer.

And there are a few places in the USA today you can buy an AR with a 1-9 twist for about $500

Last edited:
Back