22lr effective as?

2,000 fps as
threshold speed Mythbusted
It's really even easier to prove than that, if it required 2000fps for remote wounding nobody would die in a car accident without a penetrating wound, football players wouldn't get concussions.
No remote wounding, hydrostatic shock, temporary stretch cavity or ballistic pressure wave whatever you want to call it, is much closer related to kinetic energy. And there's no magic number where it occurs, because it dang sure can happen at at least the upper end of service caliber handguns but still isn't a guarantee at the upper limit of battle rifle calibers.

It's said often - shot placement. So, I'd personally take my S&W 43C (8-shot 22LR) w/CT Grip Laser over any 5-shot 38 Special snub without a laser. A shot to the sternum and above is pretty darn easy with my 43C. With that said, I carry a G27 with a LaserMax Guide Rod :D

Mavracer-
Car accidents and football concussions have nothing to do with hydrostatic shock.
Perhaps you should do more research. Internal injuries from shock have to do with organs moving and stopping suddenly.

In terms of fluid dynamics, "static" and "shock" are mutually exclusive concepts, and the term "hydrostatic shock" is an oxymoron.

I remember first reading the term some time after WWII in books and articles by writer Jack O'Connor.

On the other hand, a pressure wave in a gas or fluid, depending upon the wave form characteristics (frequency and amplitude) and how it is experienced, can wound, destroy microphones, knock over structures, and tear the skins off aircraft that were not built to withstand it.

Of course, static pressure is also dangerous, to submarine vessels, boilers, pressure tanks, and so on. But it is not the same thing.

It is of little benefit to quibble over the extent to which pressure waves propagated in a living organism can contribute to wounding, or the velocity at which it might become a factor, in service caliber handguns.

That subject has been the subject of considerable scientific research. Handgun wounding depends upon direct tearing and crushing.

Well then what's the magic point where it can happen?
About 2000 fps.

I have read that it is around 2500 fps, according to some hunting claims. I don't know. It seems so magical and mystical, yet so unreliable.

"Hydrostatic shock or hydraulic shock is a term which describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets through a hydraulic effect in their liquid-filled tissues, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact."

Interesting. My understanding was that hydraulic shock was different from hydrostatic shock. Hydraulic shock is what produces your temporary wound cavity. Hydrostatic shock is what produces your remote woundings/incapacitation effects.

In terms of fluid dynamics, "static" and "shock" are mutually exclusive concepts, and the term "hydrostatic shock" is an oxymoron.

It may be an oxymoron, but the shooting and self defense realm is full of stupid sayings that don't actually make sense, but people repeat them all the time. (e.g., 2 is 1 and 1 is none, or Federal's "Hydra-shok" handgun ammo).

My understanding was that hydraulic shock was different from hydrostatic shock.
It is.

A hydraulic pressure wave can produce effects that can reasonably be described as "hydraulic shock", be they temporary or permanent.

There is no such thing as "hydrostatic shock". It is a contradiction of terms.

.22 s,l,lr is 60% effective - as far as one shot stops go.
Beaten only by the .357 magnum@ 61%
Number of shots required to stop is 1.38 - which is the lowest of all calibers.

So basically, the OP should be asking is "what's as effective as the .22 s,l,lr"?
;).

What was it about statistics? Lies, damn lies & statistics....?

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/using-22-self-defense

22 LR

Review again the videos of the Reagan assassination attempt, looking at the effects upon James Brady, the D.C. police officer, a Secret Service officer and the (delayed) effect on Reagan. We underestimate the .22.

This-

It is of little benefit to quibble over the extent to which pressure waves propagated in a living organism can contribute to wounding, or the velocity at which it might become a factor, in service caliber handguns.

That subject has been the subject of considerable scientific research. Handgun wounding depends upon direct tearing and crushing.

Can we get an 'Amen'? :cool:

Back