.22 Revolver Recommendations

God help me, but these things are so darn pretty:

https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/6-shot-rough-rider

I saw that safety thing. I think I can live with that. There are all sorts of stuff available to customize the gun. And I saw my LGS has lots of room in their asking price.

Please tell me why I should buy a different single action.
I wouldn't because the safety thing is overblown and an easy excuse people make to justify not purchasing one because they want to bloviate about "materials" used or the design as a way to say they're junk without saying it directly.

The only issue I've had with mine is a screw fell out and I lost it at the range. To make sure that didn't happen again, I used some blue loctite on all the screws. I know, the horror I had to spend time doing that shows how terrible Heritage is, but had it happened to a Ruger it would have been excused as "things happen, nobody is perfect."

I would recommend the adjustable sight models, you will enjoy being able to hit what you're aiming at and not having to hold off target with the traditional fixed sights.

If you really want the traditional sights, Heritage does make a steel frame model, the
SRR22MBS4.

If you want something a bit different and lightweight but still very shoot-able, look at the NAA Mini Master and Black Widow. I have a NAA Sheriff and love it(in 22 wmr).
I like them for their size and weight, but as shooter's they're not going to be as accurate because spur triggers are garbage for accurate shooting.

The safety on a Heritage Rough Rider gives you the ability to dry fire the revolver with considerably less concern for damaging the revolver.

Like Truthtellers, the only problem I've ever had with mine was some screws coming loose. In my case, the ejector shroud along the barrel fell off. I was in the woods, but because I was carrying in an unconventional way, the parts were not lost...luckily. After that happened, l used lock tite on the shroud screw and a couple others and haven't had a problem since.

One of my biggest gripes about the Heritage is the paint on the frame. It doesn't look bad, but, IIRC, the manual warns about solvents damaging the frame finish. I always worry about that when I clean it.

Last edited:
275.00 out the door about 8 months ago.

zcLkxXrl.jpg

I would agree regarding the Ruger sp101. Nice, solid, reliable...I don't have a lot of 22's...but if I had to keep just one, it would be that one.

That's not to say that if I could get my hands on an older Smith or Colt, I wouldn't hang onto it just for "investment" purposes. But as a "working" gun, I'd still have to go with my Ruger.

Hawg, good buy on a great revolver...I'd be interested in a range report on accuracy. That long bbl. really helps as do the adj. sights. Best Regards, Rod

TruthTellers said:
Uh,... the Heritage revolvers are manufactured in the United States, . . .
I sit corrected. I thought the rimfires were imported.

To me, that makes the safety even more intolerable and inexcusable.

Hawg, good buy on a great revolver...I'd be interested in a range report on accuracy. That long bbl. really helps as do the adj. sights. Best Regards, Rod
I'm not a paper puncher but it will nail fired 12 gauge shotgun shells at 30 feet and Coke cans at 25 yards. I haven't shot it much past that.

Last September , local Cabela's , Ruger Wrangler $199 ... Ruger Single Six $599 .
I bought the Wrangler . It will fire : 22 Short , Long , Long Rifle , CB cap and Shot cartridges ... every time the hammer falls ... it goes bang , never a miss fire and I love the firm hammer blow ...NO light strikes with the Wrangler... I love it !

I also have a S&W AirLite 22 dbl action w/ adjustible sights ... but the SA Ruger is just wild west cool ... shooting it just so much FUN ... sorry S&W .
Gary

I sit corrected. I thought the rimfires were imported.

To me, that makes the safety even more intolerable and inexcusable.
It's a way that allows for someone to carry the cylinder fully loaded without having to use a transfer bar. I mean, if you care so much about how a single action looks, then you must be driven mad every time you cock the hammer back and see there's no firing pin on it. After all, it's not traditional.

It's a way that allows for someone to carry the cylinder fully loaded without having to use a transfer bar. I mean, if you care so much about how a single action looks, then you must be driven mad every time you cock the hammer back and see there's no firing pin on it. After all, it's not traditional.
It actually does bug me a little but not as much as how the action works in a Ruger. I can tolerate it in a .22 but I will not tolerate it in a centerfire.

It actually does bug me a little but not as much as how the action works in a Ruger. I can tolerate it in a .22 but I will not tolerate it in a centerfire.

I'm at exactly the opposite end. All my SA's are Rugers and all use the New Model lockwork. I've found it rugged, reliable, simple to use and allows for safe carry with a live round under the hammer. I've had old Rugers and used Colt's with the original Colt SAA system, and I much prefer the new model Rugers.

But I'm not much of a "traditionalist" about some things. About other things, I am. I put Pachmayr grips on single actions, and sometimes even the heresy of using a scope on a lever action rifle...:eek::rolleyes:

Its all about what you want, personally, and there's no "wrong" answer.

As to the Heritage, I have no personal experience with them, but a friend who has handled many a couple years ago working at a gunshop describes them as "rough". If the price and the quality works for you, buy one.

Myself, were I in the market, I'd go looking for a used Ruger Single Six, and the Super Single Six preferred. But, that's just me. I'm not in the market, I've been quite happy with my Super Single Six since 1983...:D

Lots of single action recommendations

In keeping with the Op's request of double action.
Do be aware of the frame size with rimfire double action revolvers. The small frame rimfire revolvers can have 13 + lb. trigger pull in double action.

My Taurus 94 is such a revolver. Esp. watch out for used small frame revolvers in .22 that have had alleged trigger work.

Small frame .22's have heavy DA triggers. Making them lighter leads to ignition issues.
I did everything I could short of changing springs, I lightened it a touch and still reliable, it's still 10+ Lbs. at least.

Better, but there really is no true fix.

I think the two top DA 22 lr revolvers are the colt Officers target revolver built on the 41 frame and the s&w k22. Of course these aren’t cheap. I collected a few h&r 22 revolvers for there history. I think the heritage and ruger Wrangler are the Best Buy’s right now. I have a ruger single six but I’ll checkout the Wrangler. I did buy a Taurus m94/4” barrel for the misses, not a bad price for a da revolver.

I'm going to deal a wild card. Armscor/Rock Island Armory (best known for their affordable 1911s) recently began marketing a new line of affordable revolvers produced in the Czech Republic. The line includes a .22 revolver in either blued or stainless. I don't own one but I have seen the .22 Magnum version at the range store where I shoot, and I was impressed.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria-imports/revolver-series/al22-revolver-blued

https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria-imports/revolver-series/al22-revolver-stainless

Taurus 94

If double action, and especially rapid fire double action is your issue, I understand.
There is truly no fix for that. It's a flaw that all older small frame double action rimfire revolvers share. Ruger may have resolved the heavy double action trigger issue with their LCR, I have not shot one.
The small frame size and the healthy whack required for consistent rimfire ignition conspire to create a heavy double action trigger. Do not try to replace or reduce springs, inconsistent ignition WILL result.

I slicked mine up a bit using valve grinding compound. Liberally applied to the sliding parts in the trigger group. I also polished a few parts, polished not cut or change any angles or engagement surfaces. That fluff and buff did improve it, I dry fired a couple hundred times using plastic wall anchors as snap caps, just because.
I then flushed out the gun really well with brake cleaner and lubed with CLP. Get every speck of that valve grinding compound out of the gun!

I'd say that improved the double action about 20%. I shoot it often, it's an accurate revolver. I'll eventually put larger more hand filling wood grips on it. I mostly shoot single action. I think the bigger grips will help too.

Back