.22 Revolver Recommendations

I've owned a Colt Diamondback since approximately 1985. My Dad had a Smith 17-2 since new in 1963, and he just gave it to my older brother last year. I've owned a Ruger Single Six and a Smith model 18 in the past. All are very nice guns. The Ruger is the most versatile and cheapest price out of all those I listed.

I also have had a couple of High Standard Sentinel 9 shot revolvers. They were light and fun, neat that they had 9 rounds. The double action triggers were stagy. I sold one and gave a close friend the other. He loves it. I had a couple of H&R 999 through my life too- very nostalgic.

I just ordered a 4" adj sight Charter Arms Pathfinder which is 8 shots. My Diamondback is my go-to rimfire, but the Pathfinder will be a kick around gun that has a few extra rounds.

Stay away from S&W model 17. I have two one for me and one for my wife, they are NOT accurate.

A couple of generations of revolver shooters may disagree with your opinion.
A Smith K-22/ model 17 or a 617 is an excellent revolver.

I'm not much of a revolver guy, only own three, mostly a semi auto kind of guy. But, the Ruger Single Six in .22LR sure is a nice handgun. It belonged to my late father. I take it out and shoot 100 rounds through it on my Dad's birthday. Clean it good, and put it away until next year.

I second the M617. It's a beast. On Saturday I was ringing the gongs at 50m DA with aplomb.

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 63
God help me, but these things are so darn pretty:

https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/6-shot-rough-rider

I saw that safety thing. I think I can live with that. There are all sorts of stuff available to customize the gun. And I saw my LGS has lots of room in their asking price.

Please tell me why I should buy a different single action.
If you like it get it, you wont be disappointed. A lot of us grew up around six guns and that safety is an abomination to us.

See, and I'm the other way. The safety is a non-issue to me, but then so is the S&W lock. It's just there. No big deal either way. And I've been around since Harry Truman was president.

Over the years I've owned S&W, Colt, Ruger, Heritage, Dan Wesson, and probably some others I don't remember. 22's of course. They've all worked just as expected. Some are nicer than other, you can usually tell by the price, but they've all worked.

Which one? Just depends on how much money you want to spend. On the top end, the S&W 17 and 18 are hard to beat (along with their stainless cousin). On the low end, the Wranglers I've used probably worked just as well, just weren't as nice. On the other hand, I don't care if they get scratched. Scratch a S&W or a Colt and I might cry.

The safety of the Heritage is a non-issue for me. These are not carry guns. Much ado about nothing. These are just plinkers, no need to spend a lot of money and the Heritage does come for little cost with a Magnum cylinder which I find fun to shoot as well adds different rounds if used for hunting or what else you many want to do with it. And yes, I do not care if it gets scratched up. Bought one on a whim and was surprised to see it was much better quality than I expected.
The Heritage was one of the first firearms I used to teach my young son to shoot. And I know many others that used this gun for the same purpose. And many actually appreciate the safety for that reason.

Last edited:
Please tell me why I should buy a different single action.

Why buy a different SA? To get adjustable sights without a 9" barrel. :D
(ok, after doing a search I found a 6.5" barrel adj sight model...)

With an MSRP of $226 the Heritage looks like a sweet deal.

On the top end, the S&W 17 and 18 are hard to beat (along with their stainless cousin). On the low end, the Wranglers I've used probably worked just as well, just weren't as nice. On the other hand, I don't care if they get scratched. Scratch a S&W or a Colt and I might cry.

A used and scratched Smith at a marked down price is sounding interesting to me.

My Ruger SP101 .22 is nothing but a good time. Just took it out yesterday as time and weather finally came together for me. I pretty much only shoot it single action though, the double action on the SP101 is pretty tough. Dinging steel knock downs at 30-35 yards is always good for a smile.

This is what $200 bought brand new in 1999 - Taurus model 970 Tracker seven shot 22. It’s a very good shooter and is worth recommending if you come across one. I have no experience with any other Taurus (I have read about the current quality control issues), but this is one I can say does what it was designed to do. This particular model is out of production.

Pics:

Bayou

As a first revolver, I don’t see how anyone could argue with a Heritage or Ruger Wrangler.

These are the kind of economical, just plain fun, reliable, basic revolver that will last several lifetimes.

I'd go with a Ruger Single Six...used if you can find one...new if not. It's a quality handgun that you'll never part with....great for training your kids or someone else's and fun for yourself. With the Single Six, you get adjustable sights....makes sighting in a breeze and you're hitting where you're looking.

Too, I prefer the 4-5/8" bbl. on Rugers for its ease of packing when seated in a car, truck, tractor, 4x4 etc. The 5.5" ones stick down a bit too far when holstered in an OWB.

The Convertible model makes sense if you need to rid your barn of coons or possums too. And accuracy with the three that have passed through our family's hands over rthe past decades, has been outstanding...2" or less at 25 yds with most ammunition, better some like Mini-Mags.

Pic below is a New Model Single Six with both mags...the stocks are fiddle back maple I made up some time ago.

Best regards, Rod

There's nothing wrong with the Heritage Rough Rider. My example rivals my Ruger MKIII target pistol for accuracy.
It's got a nice heft to it, decent looking real wood grips, and some blued steel. I bought mine to use the 22 ammo that didn't play nicely with my semi-autos. I don't regret the purchase. No, it isn't as nice as a Single Six, but it is 1/2 the price.

If you want something a bit different and lightweight but still very shoot-able, look at the NAA Mini Master and Black Widow. I have a NAA Sheriff and love it(in 22 wmr).

The Heritage has that silly cross-bolt type safety (which is there because import rules require some sort of safety and that's their solution, but for me it's a deal breaker). j
Nope, probably just some lawyer/bean counter idiot idea!

Ideal for hunting, plinking or western action shooting, let the Rough Rider be your choice in a new rimfire revolver. Proudly made in the USA, all Heritage revolvers combine quality with affordability.

Cheapshooter said:
Nope, probably just some lawyer/bean counter idiot idea!
No, import regulations require a manual safety device of some kind. That's why the Italian SAA clones have base pins with two positions. Push the base pin in to the second notch and let the latch secure it there, and the aft end protrudes far enough to prevent the hammer from firing a shot.

Heritage (or whoever makes the guns for Heritage) chose to go with the horizontal sliding hammer block safety.

The Heritage has that silly cross-bolt type safety (which is there because import rules require some sort of safety and that's their solution, but for me it's a deal breaker). I think the Ruger Wrangler is an ugly gun, and there's no magnum cylinder option, but I would choose a Wrangler over a Heritage just because of the safety issue.
Uh,... the Heritage revolvers are manufactured in the United States, there are no import rules that require the safety because they're not imported. Even if they were, safeties are not required on revolvers, just some method that doesn't allow the revolver to fire if dropped or something hits the hammer when it's at rest.

Back