2012 Whitetail Harvest Thread

cat9x, I lost a doe to coyotes last year. Shot her at dusk and found her at daybreak; hind quarters gone. Agree with your sentiments about hunting completely.

EDIT/UPDATE. Took a very nice doe at 10:00 a.m. this morning on PA gun opener. Less than 50 yards with a Remington 700 BDL in .243. Took the top third of the heart off. She went down in less than 20 yards.

Last edited:
Got home from work with about an hour of legal light left. I've been bowhunting for a couple weeks and nothing has been getting in range. Its gun season this week, so I grabbed my orange vest, mossberg 500, and knife and started out the door.
Looked across the field and saw this fella wandering slowly down the fence row. I cut straight across and then slowly worked my way along my side of the fence until I came to an opening. Stepped through and was about 75 yrds from him, he was nearly broadside quartering slightly away. I dropped to a knee and shot him before he could bolt. Shot was a little high and too far back but it anchored him. Shot him again and got both lungs and that was it. Less than 10 minutes from parking my truck to tagging him.

I was shooting 12 gauge hornady SST slugs from a mossberg 500 slug gun. Not sure what to think of them. The 1st shot was devastating, I posted a picture of the exit wound. Field dressing was not any fun. The 2nd shot broke a rib on each side, and punched through the lungs but didnt seem to expand any. Neither slug was recovered.

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 42
  • buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 34
My son got his first deer, a nine point Whitetail buck yesterday. He got the full experience with a long drag, and his first field dress.

Well wish me luck. Shot a buck around 4:30pm at about 40 yards with my Mossy 500. Watched him hunch that near side shoulder up and stumble-run about 15 yards before falling down. He stayed down for about 30 seconds or so and then stood up on his 3 other legs and slowly walked on in to some real thick stuff. Lots of holly trees and swamp reeds, couldn't see where he went other than "that-a-way". Before he stood up he did that whole body wiggle and kick.....I thought he was done but apparently I be wrong. :(

Just before dark (woods-dark at least) I went down to look for some blood with my little pocket L.E.D. light and couldn't find anything. Gonna get something to eat and grab the big lights and head back out. Fingers crossed, if he went too far he might very well have gone off our property. Looked and felt like a good shot, but the way things go sometimes I dunno......

Why didn't you shoot him again?When a deer has a enough strength to get back up that can mean a long and often futile tracking job.

I would've loved to have taken a second shot, I normally do regardless of how good the first shot seems...... but all I had a view of at that point was rear-end. Shot was broadside, when he started running he did so angled away from me. He crossed behind several trees that blocked my view and fell as he was going across an old logging ditch. When he got back up and started walking, from where I was all I got to see was little flashes of his rear as he went through the holly trees. Since I didn't have a clear shot I didn't take one, after watching him crash down so hard after the first one I guess I thought he'd just go right back down after a short walk.

Ran all the lights down to dead, no luck. Gonna go back out in the daylight and look again. With the total lack of blood I'm beginning to question if my shot really found the mark, but I really felt good about that shot when I took it. Supposed to be in the low to mid 30's overnight I think, hopefully nothing else gets to him first. It gets in to some really thick reeds and swampy parts down there so there are lots of places that can be easily overlooked. I've never lost a deer before, or had to leave one overnight like this. Sucks.

Do you have a dog or know someone with a dog? Would be better if it was a trained tracking or deer dog, but sometimes all it takes is a dog to get curious about a wounded animal scent to find one. Sounds like you broke his leg for sure. If it was high enough, you also got into some lung. We're you way up a tree or on or near the ground. The downward angle could cost you this buck if you were way up a tree. Sadly I know from experience. If you get out there and find blood and all it is is a lot of small droplets, looks like a leg hit. They will also bleed puddles every time they stop on one of those leg hits. A leg hit deer will usually stop bleeding if given the chance to lay down or even stand still for a short time period. Usually your only hope with one of those is to keep pushing it til it bleeds out which is very hard to do without a dog
On the other hand, if you find no blood at all, I would actually be more optimistic. I'm assuming you were using slugs? I have very little experience with slug shot deer, but have a lot of experience with bow shot and muzzleloader shot deer. When you hit a deer broadside in the shoulder with an arrow and it doesn't penetrate the other side, my experience has been that there is usually virtually no blood at all for the first 15 to 100 yards until the deers lungs fill up with blood and they start spewing it out their nose. I've seen the same thing with muzzleloader shot deer. Keep in mind all of these had no exit wound. Sounds like this may be your case and It will be a lot easier to find this deer with a dog in the thicket you describe

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck in recovering your deer. Wish I could help look in the morning.

NO PICS. But tagged out Thanksgiving weekend. Im no bone hunter but took a six pointer & a 7pointer & 10 does,Ruger MKII in 25-06 did a fine job on the powerline this year,Freezer is full. NO complaints at my house.
Hope ya'll have good luck.:D

Update time. Found the deer at around 8:15 this morning.

Went back out this morning around 7 or so and started a wider area search. After about 45 minutes I found a spot where he had stumbled through, followed the tracks for about 30 or 40 yards and finally found my first blood. Not much, but anything was better than what I had found yesterday. Followed the tracks and found where he died about 50 yards further. From there something found him and dragged him about another 50 yards. Ripped in to his formerly sensitive parts and had a dinner of deer guts. So at least I know he's not limping around with a busted shoulder, and something in the woods was fat and happy when it went to sleep last night.

Upon inspection, everything looks like it was a good shot. Maybe a little lower than I would've wanted under ideal conditions, but by no means a bad shot. Several of the buckshot went through the first shoulder, through the body cavity, and exited the opposite shoulder. I was shooting 20 gauge Federal 3" #2 buck. Patterned beautifully and completely tore that near shoulder up. I guess he was just one tough S.O.B. or something. Total distance from shot to where I found him was probably 250 or 275 yards.

Picture attached, don't click if you don't like deer gut pictures. :)

Attachments

• lostdeeredit.jpg
    lostdeeredit.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 41
Sorry in advance for long post. :)
Yep buckshot, just realized I didn't specify in my earlier post. Honestly I'm trying to get myself away from using it but it was just what I decided to load up with. He was just a two pointer. One long "cow-horn" and one little gnarled spike. I guess he broke it off and it regrew. I'm past "antler-hunting" and was just trying to top off the last bit of room left in the freezer. He had a decent sized body.

I normally go for does at this point of the season but we have been seeing very few of them so far. I think perhaps the very active coyotes we had last year might've put a hurt on the doe population during birthing season. It's made for a very heavy rut this season though, more scrapes and rubs than I can ever remember seeing. On that note, during our early muzzleloading season I scored with my biggest buck ever. Definitely one of those "right place, right time" deals.

Back on election day I returned to the house from voting and after eating some lunch decided to head out to the woods. I had my climber stand on my back and half way to my intended spot I realized the wind was shifting in exactly the wrong direction. So I changed direction and headed in to a different area. First time I had been in there this season. I slowly walked around and picked out a tree that would give me a good view of the downside of a hill that leads down to a creek. I got my stand hooked around the tree and climbed on, CVA Optima was on the ground attached to the stand with my rope. I made it about three "stand-steps" up the tree when I heard it......

I hear this crashing coming from exactly where my back is turned towards, so I quickly pulled my gun up and put a primer in, and turned around. I'm standing with my back against the tree and out from behind a holly tree comes a big ol' buck. Sniffing and snorting at the air, he stopped broadside right behind several little pine trees and just stood there. Here I am with the gun raised and sights lined up, shaking like a squirrel with ADD, and he just stands there sniffing and looking around. I shut my eyes and took a couple breaths and when I looked again he had made another step or two forward and I had a shot, no more than maybe 25 yards.

So I squeeze the trigger and smoke roars out of the gun, and just sits there. No breeze down there to clear it out. All I saw of the deer was a flash of tail as he took off. I got down on the ground and reloaded, and listened...... Nothing. Walked over and immediately found blood, and some very erratic tracks. After waiting about 30 minutes I followed and less than 50 yards away he's down for the count. Double lung shot and just barely clipped the top of the heart, 270 gr. Platinum Powerbelts with 100gr. Pyrodex. Around here he's a really nice buck, and a monster in my own book of personal experiences. 11 points, with some real tall G2's and a nice tall wavy left brow tine.

Attachments

• 11pointdownedit.jpg
    11pointdownedit.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 11pointholdedit.jpg
    11pointholdedit.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
attachment.php
I don't know why the name "The Chain Saw Buck" but i was given the photo by our Corporate Rep here at the CarQuest Store. he said this buck was taken by the BIL of his BIL and that the base of the antler's measured 10 inch in Cir.
37 points and he was sitting in a chair on a field.

Attachments

• Chain Saw Buck-1.JPG
    Chain Saw Buck-1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Daughters first deer yesterday. Little 6pt whitetail. Approx. 80 yds. with 25-06. She is 11.

Yes, I'm 66, should have had my head examined 12 years ago!

Last edited:
second day of deer season here in missouri at about 11:15 in the morning. Cold rainy/snow/sleet 65 yard shot with a ruger m77 hawkeye 270 with reloaded ammo and nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 bdc scope. dropped to the ground and never moved. 11 points total.photo (8).JPG

second day of deer season here in missouri at about 11:15 in the morning. Cold rainy/snow/sleet 65 yard shot with a ruger m77 hawkeye 270 with reloaded ammo and nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 bdc scope. dropped to the ground and never moved. 11 points total.photo (8).JPG

Slate grey coat, big ears, bi-furcated antlers .... at least a tetch of Mulie in him.....

thanks 12gauge the picture actually does the rack alot of good. It was a small basket rack but you know when your in the heat of the moment and your looking through the scope it looks huge. this next picture was a guy that found this deer near robinson ks.IMG_2895.jpg This next picture was during bow season in kansas. This was shot near wathena ks.IMG_7959.jpg

Back