2012 Whitetail Harvest Thread

Shot this buck this morning. Its a 8 point with split G-2s. I havent scored him yet. But will in the next few days after i finish the euro mount.
IMAG0281.jpg

Hey Slamms, I got a connection here in Mo. with a fella that has those beetles that eat all the flesh and clean the skull to perfection.... PM me if your interested.

Thanks hooligan. But Ive had great luck burying the heads in the ground for about a week. When dug up they are almost spotless. Maggots eat it clean.

Buddy of mine got this little 8 point today with the muzzleloader. Not a big one, but it was his first deer in several years and he has been trying pretty hard to get one this year. You can't see it in the picture, but one of the points looks like it got broken and then re-grew at a right angle. He was already smiling, but I figured I'd cover him up with a smiley face since I didn't ask about putting his picture up. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8pointsmileyedit.jpg
    8pointsmileyedit.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 269
Just shot my first whitetail! Went out to the stand around 4. Sat there for 45 minutes and a buck chased the doe out into the clearing. Saw the doe first and a good broadside shot presented itself so I took it. Hit right behind the shoulder she ran about 60 yards.

The buck chasing her was a nice one.

Planning on taking at least a few more this season. The spot the stand is in is tore up with deer activity.

64kkyp.jpg

Last edited:
Already in the freezer.

Shot with an old Marlin 336 .35 Remington at around 50 yards. Been in my family for 3 generations now.

Not pleased with the performance of the 200 grain .35 Remington ammo I used. It worked, but the bullet did not expand. The exit wound was relatively small for a 200 grain bullet (less than 1 inch). The deer ran about 60 yards into the woods, and there was no blood we could find to follow.

Gonna get some hornady 200 grain leverevolution rounds with better expansion. Probably have better results.

Pretty happy with getting one though.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first! Fine tuning your set up is one of the most satisfying aspects of hunting. Everything feels better when you know you've got things just right. It took me forever to find the right combination of powder charge and projectile that my CVA Optima would consistently shoot accurately. Of course it likes the expensive bullets.....:rolleyes: Can't complain, it served me well this year.

A couple from our first hunt this year. Was a good week. Mostly does however a few bucks were taken
photo-10.jpg

My first shotgun harvest..tender vittles
photo-9.jpg

I'm trying to finish getting this one ready for the cooler
photo-15.jpg

Couple coyotes a guy called in and shot
photo-1.jpg

One of the 2 coolers we packed
photo-11.jpg

Alex0535,
Just a word of warning with the leverevolution rounds, i got my first deer in over 20 years last weekend, using a 336cs 30/30 and the 160gr leverloutions, be VERY careful with shot placement, staight on shot from a stand,bullet went thru her neck, went into her back, severed the spine and exited along the inside of the right rear leg, bullet did everything right, she was dead before she hit the ground,but it destroyed alot of meat and looked like her intestines were hit with a blender. dug the bullet out of the ground, its a pretty mushroom, dont have a scale to find out weight retention. but there was a rather large exit wound. she weighed roughly 90lbs and the shot was 60 yds

^good shot placement is always in the front of my mind.

I trust my shooting ability, and i know that deer can run a distance on adrenalin without major organs. But a perfectly placed shot with a .35 caliber bullet weighing 200 grains should drop a deer in its tracks. The reviews of the leverevolution 200 grain bullets are generally "deer did not take another step". The woods here are so thick that I would rather not have to track it in the dark through the woods if i don't have to.

I might go out again this evening if the wind dies down. A relative went out hunting in the same place this morning, saw 2 does and buck but didn't get a clear shot. Running around the same place like nothing ever happened 12 hours earlier.

I have seen deer hit with a devastating shot that you know will put them down right there only for them to run off and die a little ways away. deer are very tough just because you're .35 remington did not drop it right there does not mean it is a bad bullet, most dear that I've shot everyone at least a little bit and the majority have been with a 270 WSM black powder muzzleloader and a 12 gauge in that order and those are by no means weak guns.

I got a nice 10 pointer 15 minutes into opening day. For some reason, I can't get the picture to post but I feel very blessed to have taken it.

Last year, I got a nice 8 pointer 30 minutes into opening day so I was dumbfounded after taking my 10 pointer this year. Been a hell of a good couple of years.

My second best buck

I took it this morning with a slug my buddy found in my parents closet. My Mother died 8-30-12 of lung cancer and my Father died in 2008 of Parkinsons complications.

We had pretty much the whole house cleared and he found a single 12 gauge slug in my parents closet. He said "this is a sign".

I made a point of having it in my chamber each morning, and at 9:35 am this morning a nice 8 pointer walked broad side at 50 yards from me. First deer I saw in 2 days. One shot double lung shot. Good buck for me in my area. :D
Better than my Fathers lifetime good buck.

It was VERY hard to go into their garage and load up my Grizzly. Still getting misty eyed typing this. ;)

Attachments

• Resized 2012 buck.jpg
    Resized 2012 buck.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 60
My season so far:
I murdered Bambi's twin (thought he was a smallish doe that I walked up on):

1102121014a.jpg

Then I murdered his mama
1117120658a.jpg

Now I am officially 'horn-hunting' the rest of the season, but probably throw a meat doe another 165gr Fusion if they get on my nerves by being too nosey

11/17/2012. Opening day of gun season in NY's southern tier. Took a nice-bodied 6-point buck at 7:45 a.m. in 7J (Onondaga County). Shot from a ground blind with a scoped Mossberg 500 12 gauge shooting Federal Barnes Expanders. 40 yards.

11/20/2012. Filled one of my doe tags just before noon in 7M (Cortland County). Shot from a tower stand with a scoped Remington 700 in .243 shooting 100 grain Remington Core-Lokts. 50 yards.

Gun opens here in PA on Monday.

I call him the Lord's buck. God taught me a lot about patience and what really matters in life through this deer. Hunting in Mitchell Co, Texas. He was shot late evening and crossed the neighbor's fence 15 yards away. We waited until dawn to look for him, I couldn't sleep. After tracking 100 yards the blood trail ended. No buck in sight. I decided to check a dry creek bed for any blood sign, and down one of the fingers saw a coyote's butt moving back and forth on a carcass. In less than 12hrs coyotes had devoured everything except the head, hide, and skeletal system. God reminded me the hunt's not about the buck, it's about friends & family we hunt with and appreciating His wondrous creation.

Rifle used: Browning BAR MkII w/ BOSS in 270Win

Attachments

• 305586_10151335900076095_472559245_n.jpg
    305586_10151335900076095_472559245_n.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50
Back