10mm or 357 mag?

Ruger45LC wrote:

The 9x25 Dillon has a small following but look at what it is, you're shooting .355" 9mm bullets to velocities the bullet isn't designed for. You even get this with the 10mm, meaning it shooting .400" bullets faster than they're intended. With the .357 Mag, you get bullets specifically designed to handle the extra velocity it delivers, a big short fall with the 9x25 Dillon and 10mm.

What would say about your namesake's graduation to .454 and .460?

Cosmodragoon said:
What would say about your namesake's graduation to .454 and .460?

Nothing really, as there are bullets specifically designed for the .454 and 460, while some are better suited to the slower velocities of the .45 Colt. I could load a .45 ACP JHP in a .454 but I wouldn't brag about it, it's senseless.

I don't know... The .357Mag gained its reputation primarily on the strength of the 125gr JHP loading. That round was known for rapid expansion and fragmentation, something that would likely be termed bullet failure in this day an age. Yet it worked very well for stopping bad guys in the real world.

Actually John the 357 Magnum had a reputation as a manstopper before most cops were even using hollowpoints. I worked with guys using 158 LSWC's when I first got out of the Army in 1982. The 125 was a latecomer to the game, by then the 9mm was taking hold and the Illinois State Police were doing phenomenal things with the 9mm.

The 125 grain 357 Magnum does not meet the FBI standards, yet as we know on the street it was legendary for being a fight stopper. Kind of makes you wonder about the FBI standards doesn't it.

Nanuk,

The most oft-repeated urban legend is .357 Mag as ultimate man stopper. It is not, never was, & never will be. It's a good self-defense cartridge among many, some of which are superior, none of which are man stoppers.

Do you really think that any law enforcement agency would use an inferior duty weapon were a superior one available?

The 10MM guys love to cite the other oft-repeated urban legend that the FBI dropped it in favor of the .40 S&W because female agents couldn't cope with its recoil. To believe that you'd have to believe that the FBI would intentionally place its cops in danger. That is ludicrous on its face. Here's a fact: cops have to qualify with their issued weapons. If they cannot, they're no longer employed.

In the late 90's, it cost law enforcement agencies a half-mil to put a single cop in service. Do you think that any law enforcement agency would not only intentionally jeopardy it cops' lives but also recklessly squander its investments?

The term "man stopper" is indicative of neophyte.

The 125 grain 357 Magnum does not meet the FBI standards, yet as we know on the street it was legendary for being a fight stopper.
Many of the 125gr 357 loads pass just fine, they don't even show them in test because the 357 service revolver isn't used anymore.
The 10MM guys love to cite the other oft-repeated urban legend that the FBI dropped it in favor of the .40 S&W because female agents couldn't cope with its recoil.
I sometimes wonder how this even got started since the FBI never even tested full power 10mm. They tested and adopted the 10mm with a 180gr bullet at ~1000 fps.

mavracer,

.40 caliber is at its self-defense optimum with 180 grain bullets at 1000 FPS. Any additional velocity is diminishing returns.

The .357 Mag is in the same ballpark. For self-defense, the 158 grain bullet is optimum at a velocity of around 1000 FPS. And the .357 Mag is infamous for muzzle flash. Muzzle flash is a very bad thing, especially at night.

The FBI did in fact test higher velocity 10MM loads. They did not offer anything above a .40 S&W.

The most oft-repeated urban legend is .357 Mag as ultimate man stopper. It is not, never was, & never will be. It's a good self-defense cartridge among many, some of which are superior, none of which are man stoppers.

Do you really think that any law enforcement agency would use an inferior duty weapon were a superior one available?
How many people have you seen shot? With a 357 magnum? The reason police departments do not use 357 magnums anymore has absolutely nothing to do with effectiveness, it has to do with round count.

Neophyte? really? You do not even know who I am.

Certainly they would if the superior weapon were extraordinarily expensive, the officers couldn't shoot it well, or if it handicapped them significantly in some way (e.g. round count, slow reloads, etc.).

My uncle was in law enforcement when the 357 magnum was being phased out. It went away not because of its effectiveness (It was still deemed extremely effective) but because of the lower round count.

right tools for the job vs theoretical notinharmsway blather

I suggest properly loaded 40 S&W 135g JHP is optimum for civilian use; I suggest the 125g JHP optimum in 357 Magnum.

Not only suggest, but recommend ;)

JohnKSa,

Your: "Certainly they would if the superior weapon were extraordinarily expensive, the officers couldn't shoot it well, or if it handicapped them significantly in some way (e.g. round count, slow reloads, etc.)."

describes an inferior weapon.

mavracer,

I used to have a copy of the FBI Firearms Testing Report. The 10MM with various ammo was in fact tested. Saying it wasn't is childish.

The 10MM is a poor law enforcement choice. I know of no law enforcement agency that issues a 10MM.

describes an inferior weapon.
One could make the argument that some of the factors mentioned might make the weapon inferior, however the higher cost certainly does not. And cost is definitely a consideration in choosing an issue weapon.

However, your quote was specifically responding to a comment about the .357Magnum caliber and its reputation as a stopper.

The context of your comment was about terminal performance and my response was in that same context and spirit. That is, I was responding to your comment that a PD would never issue a weapon that was considered to be an inferior man stopper if a superior one were available.

Clearly there are many other factors that a PD considers beyond just terminal performance and that was the point my response made.

It's somewhat disengenuous for you to treat my response as if the initial context were something other than what it was.
I know of no law enforcement agency that issues a 10MM.
There are still some LE agencies that do. In fact, here's one PD that changed over to the Glock 20 just a few years ago.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...603-20100611_1_weapons-glock-handgun-officers

But the 10mm has never been a common issue caliber.

I used to have a copy of the FBI Firearms Testing Report. The 10MM with various ammo was in fact tested. Saying it wasn't is childish.
Patrick Urey, the agent in charges of the FBI's firearms testing at the time of the 10mm adoption, notes are linked in my post, hence the reason I posted the link. In it he states clearly that the only 10mm load tested for adoption for the FBI is the 180gr FBI lite load at 980fps. stating that other ammo was tested would be foolish.

Back