10mm for self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the way someone would get "suddenly caught up in mob violence" would be to have a large violent mob sneak up on them while they were, say, unwittingly in a prime protest area during a time of widespread unrest and distracted due to reading a book on nonviolent conflict resolution?

A friend of mine is an Orthodox Jew, and he lives in LA. Back during the Rodney King riots, the mob came to him. He was driving, and he was chased by a car full of black men waving hammers. He would have been killed if they had been able to force him to stop.

Then there was Reginald Denny.

Mob attacks don't just happen to people who ask for it by doing crazy things like, oh, walking around in public exercising their First Amendment rights. They happen to people who never had any intention of mingling with mobs, and they are often motivated by racism.

As for a pistol's ability to deter a mob, you can go to Youtube and get the real answer to the question. Mobs run and scream when one person pulls a gun. It's surprisingly effective.

A friend of mine is an Orthodox Jew, and he lives in LA. Back during the Rodney King riots, the mob came to him. He was driving, and he was chased by a car full of black men waving hammers. He would have been killed if they had been able to force him to stop.

Mob attacks don't just happen to people who ask for it by doing crazy things like, oh, walking around in public exercising their First Amendment rights. They happen to people who never had any intention of mingling with mobs, and they are often motivated by racism.

As for a pistol's ability to deter a mob, you can go to Youtube and get the real answer to the question. Mobs run and scream when one person pulls a gun. It's surprisingly effective.

Police pull firearms on people relatively frequently and yet still many suspects don’t comply. Would sane people flee when a private person pulls a firearm on them and they themselves are unarmed? Sure. But it seems odd to me to argue that people fully willing to drag someone from a car just as a matter of guilt by association or uncontrolled rage would then react in a sane matter. They might, but I sure wouldn’t consider it a given. As for your friend, my guess is continuing to drive, even if he has to do so over people, was a better bet than stopping and drawing a firearm. You may be put in a position where there is no alternative, but I’d exhaust the hell out of the car before I got to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good for him, but my points still stand. Owning one doesn't preclude the use of the other. Sometimes when people have firearms they start to see them as the solution to all problems. Firearms are just one tool and different tools are better at different jobs.

Earlier on this thread (post 146), I posted a link to a shooting resulting from a mob situation. The people pursuing the armed man seemed to be aware that he had a gun, based on what one of the pursuers said on the video. But they chased him down and attacked him anyway. He shot one of them. That stopped the attack but he was arrested and charged.

I also posted a link to an article about a man who pointed a gun at a mob. He was also arrested and charged.

Even if they beat the charges, I suspect they would both be much happier had they not decided to get armed and then go to the protests.

Besides, what is with the assumption that the pistol-packing "defender" is going to be the only armed person present? That the rioters will all be unarmed or armed only with primitive weapons?

Again, (I think this is now 3 times I've said it) I'm not claiming that it's impossible to end up in a riot situation without warning, but it's not the kind of thing that people need to worry about. Most people will find it quite easy to avoid riots. Riots are noisy, large, slow-moving and get lots and lots of news coverage. Avoiding them is a far, far better solution than trying to deal with one using a pistol.
Back during the Rodney King riots, the mob came to him. He was driving, and he was chased by a car full of black men waving hammers.
With all due respect, a car full of guys with hammers chasing a person is not a riot, it's a car full of guys with hammers chasing a person. Problematic, to be sure, deadly under the proper circumstances, but quite different from a riot.
He's been mentioned a couple of times already on this thread.

Reginald Denny is not a good example for someone "unexpectedly" caught up in mob violence. Go back and watch the footage and you'll see the smoke from all the fires in the area rising into the sky and clearly visible from long distances. The idea that he just suddenly found himself the middle of the biggest riots in a couple of decades without having made conscious (and very questionable) decisions all along the way to end up where he was just doesn't fly.

I agree that we shouldn't be like Reginald Denny. Don't make decisions that put you in untenable situations.

Between the 10mm haters and the Taurus haters, it's a good thing Taurus doesn't make a 10mm.
Funny you say that because over the weekend I was thinking to myself if Taurus made a 10mm I would probably buy it because nobody else has come out with a new polymer 10mm except that one company that shall not be named. I treat that company like Voldemort. You know, the one that has the hubris to tell us where the grip area is on their gun.

The people pursuing the armed man seemed to be aware that he had a gun, based on what one of the pursuers said on the video. But they chased him down and attacked him anyway. He shot one of them. That stopped the attack but he was arrested and charged.

The video proves the gun worked. As soon as shots were fired, the mob backed off. They screamed and ran, and these things prove I'm right. Steven Baca saved his own life, using a single pistol against an armed mob.

There are other examples online. Pistols work very well to deter mobs. You may say they sometimes don't work, and that may (or may not) be true, but it's clear they have worked many times, and a pistol is better than trying to outrun people on foot or relying on one person's pathetic ability to fight a group.

I could sit here and post links to videos for people to sit through and analyze, but it would be simpler if we just admitted it's true, because that's where we would eventually end up.

The shooter was arrested, AFTER he successfully and easily defended himself against multiple assailants. The arrest isn't relevant at all, but even if it were, prosecutors dropped charges related to the actual shooting.

Sometimes people have to choose between facing a jury and being beaten by mobs. Choosing to risk arrest can produce outcomes involving arrest which potential victims greatly prefer to lifelong disabilities or death. You will probably say Steven Baca had other choices, but many other victims have not.

With all due respect, a car full of guys with hammers chasing a person is not a riot, it's a car full of guys with hammers chasing a person.

I said pistols deter mobs, which is clearly true and proven by the video you mention, and I also mentioned an account in which a group of assailants came after someone. This actually happened, and it took place during a riot. Denying that the people in the car constituted a riot all themselves doesn't make much sense. My friend was minding his own business, and members of a mob came after him. It happens.

Reginald Denny is not a good example for someone "unexpectedly" caught up in mob violence. Go back and watch the footage and you'll see the smoke from all the fires in the area rising into the sky and clearly visible from long distances. The idea that he just suddenly found himself the middle of the biggest riots in a couple of decades without having made conscious (and very questionable) decisions all along the way to end up where he was just doesn't fly.

Of course he's a good example, as were the other victims who were attacked in vehicles during the same riot. Obviously, they didn't all intend to drive through riots when they started their trips. Life isn't as simple as you make it sound. It's very easy to make a wrong turn or get funneled into an area you don't plan to visit.

You don't know what Denny and the other victims saw or knew. In hindsight, it's very easy to criticize people who drove into riot areas, but they didn't have the knowledge armchair historians have now, and armchair historians don't really know what they went through.

In the world's history, there have been many, many examples of mobs going to people who wanted nothing to do with them. Lynchings, for example. It's not a rare thing at all. Everyone knows this. There is clear proof that a single firearm can save your life when you're attacked by a mob, and the idea that a mob will, as a general rule, somehow muster the courage to swarm a person holding a gun has no support at all.

But it seems odd to me to argue that people fully willing to drag someone from a car just as a matter of guilt by association or uncontrolled rage would then react in a sane matter. They might, but I sure wouldn’t consider it a given.

It isn't a given, but history shows that resisting multiple enraged assailants with firearms often works.

No one should even mention a firearm in a dangerous situation unless all other options are closed off, and displaying or using one is even riskier, but when your other options are gone, a gun may work wonders, which is one reason many people who belong to this forum own them.

It isn't a given, but history shows that resisting multiple enraged assailants with firearms often works.

No one should even mention a firearm in a dangerous situation unless all other options are closed off, and displaying or using one is even riskier, but when your other options are gone, a gun may work wonders, which is one reason many people who belong to this forum own them.

Nothing I said indicates a firearm never works. My point was simply to caution that presenting a firearm may not yield compliance when dealing with irrational people.

As for why I carry a firearm, I do so not with the intention of drawing it to get a point across (to John’s point there is no given that the other people don’t also have a firearm and drawing one yourself and pointing it at them can surely encourage them to use their own). I draw it when there is immediate threat to myself and those for whom I feel responsible and I feel the need to use it. Before that I exhaust all other options. In the case of your friend I stand by the comment that in that situation his car was more useful than having a pistol. I have no issue with someone having both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bears have been killed by .22 Short rifles and .380 ACP Pocket Pistols, before that they were often killed with black powder rifles and pistols which fall far short of modern smokeless powder Magnum cartridges in terms of energy or penetration, and before that they were killed with arrows, okay?

I'm glad someone said this. It's amazing that people keep perpetuating the myth that you can't stop a bear without a cannon, or that it's better to let a mauling continue than to risk making the bear REALLY mad by shooting it with a big-bore pistol.

I remember the story about the deranged bear activist, Timothy Treadwell. He and his date were killed and eaten by a big Alaskan brown bear--not a little black bear--and when it showed up at the scene later, it was killed by a ranger with a Glock.

I guess people will say it was a skinny old bear. Well, it was strong enough to kill and eat two sturdy individuals in good health, and it isn't the only big bear that has been killed with a pistol. There's a long list of bear-defense cases you can look up, and it includes grizzlies killed with 9mm pistols.

If a bear came after me, I'd want a mini-gun or, better yet, a helicopter, but I would rather have a Glock than just my 30-second 100-yard dash abilities.

I believe a 10mm is closer to a .41 magnum than to a 357. Fine if you want to punch through the bad guy and the three innocent people behind him.

If only 10mm ammo was tested through heavy clothed gel. :rolleyes:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/10mm-auto-self-defense-ammo-ballistic-gel-tests/

Hornady 155 XTP - 14'' / .68
Hornady 180 XTP - 16.9'' / .64
Winchester 175 Silvertip - 16.2'' / .68

10mm "overpenetrates" incorrect generalization is mythbusted.
A Glock 20SF or 10mm 1911 with any of those loads is a good choice for SD against human threat.

Of course [Reginal Denny's] a good example, as were the other victims who were attacked in vehicles during the same riot. Obviously, they didn't all intend to drive through riots when they started their trips. Life isn't as simple as you make it sound. It's very easy to make a wrong turn or get funneled into an area you don't plan to visit.
You don't know what Denny and the other victims saw or knew. In hindsight, it's very easy to criticize people who drove into riot areas, but they didn't have the knowledge armchair historians have now, and armchair historians don't really know what they went through.

You'd think that a TFL Moderator, and a highly opinionated one at that, would know better, which he would if he'd actually studied the facts instead of knee-jerking it with a post that tries to turn a victim of mob violence into a 'volunteer.' :rolleyes:

Denny wasn't on some lazy Sunday afternoon 'driving lark' to go casually 'sight-seeing' amid all the rioting and looting being committed by a certain set of unhappy urban dwellers. :rolleyes:

He was on a pre-determined truck route, as set by his employer's company as to the route to take.

In other words, Denny was doing (or had been doing) his delivery job when rioters first surrounded his slow-moving truck, jumped the door and assaulted him inside, then he pulled him out onto the pavement, where several thugs then proceeded to crush his skull with concrete blocks while end-zone dancing around his body.

Those are the facts. Everything else is bloviation.

Last edited:
I prefer to stay out of prison for using a firearm, so I will go WAY out of my way to stay AS FAR AWAY from any mob as humanly possible. If, however, for whatever reason, I find myself being pulled from my vehicle, or even thugs attempting to do so, they will not be facing a mere handgun, but a fully equipped tactical 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot. If they are going to force me to do years in prison for simply defending myself, since because of that I have nothing to lose, their body count will be high indeed, I will not just brandish it, I will start sending thugs to the hereafter and not stop until I am out of ammo. If the law says I can be sent to prison for merely brandishing a weapon, this is how it is, and this is the price of that stupid, mentally retarded law.

Last edited:
41 pellet 12 gauge 3” #4 buck skipped off the pavement at shin level does a good job of convincing mobs to want to be somewhere else.

A normally loaded or hot FMJ from a 9mm, 40, and 45 all fall within the same variation of each other.

Somehow a 10mm FMJ is doing something more? I'm not so sure.

The video proves the gun worked. As soon as shots were fired, the mob backed off. They screamed and ran...
Based on the audio, they knew he had a gun before they attacked him. His gun didn't keep him from being attacked and injured. He ended up having to fire and that did stop the attack, but not everyone ran. The person videotaping was not intimidated and stayed within easy gunshot of Baca even after shots were fired.

And, most importantly, Baca is now in jail facing a number of serious charges. It looks like they have dropped the most serious charge, but he's still facing prison time. Does anyone here think he feels like he made a good decision by getting armed and going to the protest instead of staying home?

Everyone here can make the choice he wishes he had made.
Denying that the people in the car constituted a riot all themselves doesn't make much sense.
It makes perfect sense. A riot isn't a car full of guys with hammers. It just isn't. Even if there's a riot going on in a town at the time that the car full of guys with hammers chases someone, the car full of guys with hammers still isn't a riot. It's a car full of guys with hammers.

My comments are about how ill-advised it is to intentionally get into a riot/mob with the idea that, if necessary, a pistol will extricate you with no problems. And how easy it is to NOT get into one. And how unlikely it is that one would get into one unintentionally with even a tiny bit of situational awareness engaged.

Getting chased by a car full of guys is not the same as being in a riot even if the unrest that led to the riot is related to the reason the guys are in the car looking for victims.

I'm not denying that sometimes the unrest that leads to riots can also cause other issues in the broader general area of a riot, but pretending that any criminal activity in the same general region of a riot IS the riot and is taking place WITHIN the riot just doesn't make sense.
He was on a pre-determined truck route, as set by his employer's company as to the route to take.

In other words, Denny was doing (or had been doing) his delivery job when rioters first surrounded his slow-moving truck, jumped the door and assaulted him inside, then he pulled him out onto the pavement, where several thugs then proceeded to crush his skull with concrete blocks while end-zone dancing around his body.
The fact remains that he drove into a riot zone voluntarily. People are suggesting that he's a good example of how a person can be caught up in a riot without warning.

That's ridiculous. Whatever his reasons, he drove into it knowingly--it's not like he suddenly found himself in the middle of it with no warning.

As far as it being his job, I can't imagine that his company's appreciation for his dedication made up for the injuries he suffered as a result. I know that if I had to choose between my company's undying gratitude and not getting beaten senseless by a mob (or having to shoot someone to avoid such a fate), it wouldn't take me any time to make the choice. I would hope it's a similarly simple decision for everyone else here.
It's very easy to make a wrong turn or get funneled into an area you don't plan to visit.
Cars turn around. They back up. It's very easy to keep track of riots via news coverage. This is four times now--I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not the kind of thing we need to worry about. Riots are easy to avoid. They move slowly, they are very obvious, they are the subject of lots of news coverage. Getting out of one can be difficult and dangerous. Not getting into one is easy.
.. tries to turn a victim of mob violence into a 'volunteer.'
The two things are not mutually exclusive. He was certainly a victim. It is also clear that he went in with his eyes wide open. We make choices and our choices have consequences. That doesn't absolve those who commit crimes against us of responsibility, but understanding the risk can help us avoid being victimized in the first place and that is certainly a good thing.

Look, I don't know why this seems so hard to understand.

Let's start with some context.

Someone made the comment that they were kitting up with body armor, knives, a 10mm pistol (so they could shoot through the first person and into the second in line) and extra mags so that if they drove into a riot in their semi they would be prepared.

Now, I could have just let that stand without saying anything. But I figured maybe some folks would find it useful if I provided a slightly different perspective. So I did and here it is--with some bonus content too:

1. Don't drive into riots. They're easy to avoid.

2. In the extremely unlikely event that you find you unintentionally drove into a riot in a semi, dismounting and doing battle with your "shoot through 2 people caliber" handgun might not be the best possible strategy.

3. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about accidentally getting caught in riots. Every news station and reporter in the state will be breathlessly telling you exactly where they are and what they're doing in great detail and in real time. Just pay attention. Avoid the smoke rising into the air. Drive away from any crowds you see. Maybe even just avoid the areas where the riots are likely to happen (or the places they happened last night) altogether, just for good measure.

4. If you end up in a riot and have to shoot your way out of it, don't count on getting out unscathed. Don't count on getting out of it without some serious legal jeopardy. Don't count on everyone else being unarmed. Don't count on everyone being afraid of your handgun--even if it is a 10mm. Don't be surprised if things you posted on the internet about your riot defense strategy end up being a factor in the aftermath.

That's it. Can't make it any clearer or simpler than that. If you don't get it, I guess that's just the way it is.

And repeatedly stated with the authority of "Staff".

What exactly does this mean? He is staff. It says so below his name and as far as I know the appearance of that word is automated by the forum system. He's not signing off his postings by saying "Staff".

Having seen JohnKSa's repetitive response

As best as I can tell everyone is simply repeating themselves. It's almost as if people have their own views on the matter and aren't interested in changing those views. Surely nothing like this has ever happened before on an internet forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back