10mm Auto

Been posted here many times, Sierra dies not have or use pressure testing equipment, they do it the same way we do, they read brass and velocities, in other words they guess.

Been posted here many times, Sierra dies not have or use pressure testing equipment, they do it the same way we do, they read brass and velocities, in other words they guess.
I did not realize that. Still kinda messes with my mind a little.

Last edited:
I think they hire out testing of their maximum loads now, just to be sure they aren't over SAAMI MAP. That's what Hornady described doing in one of their print manuals (IIRC, they actually borrowed pressure barrels and transducers to run their top loads). But the loads are not worked up by pressure gun for these manuals as they are for commercial load manufacturing. Though I note photos of Hornady's facility appear to show barrels with strain gauges on them now. That would mean they are getting pressure numbers, but not by the SAAMI standard method. Still, it's better than no data, and then confirming just the max loads by the SAAMI method later (likely done for liability reasons) would work fine.

Hodgdon's, listed max loads for this powder are listed with a pressure of several thousand PSI lower than the SAAMI MAP for the 10mm auto. This powder also leaves plenty of room in the case below the bullet. I think that I may increase the load by a small amount and see where that leads me. Hodgdon lists loads for other powders with the same bullets at a higher pressure than they list CFE Pistol. I will make my increments small and report back here with my results.

I am trying to see 1200 fps with a 180-grain bullet and 1400 fps with a 155-grain bullet. I have confidence that this can be done with the powder I currently have safely. The only other powder I can get locally that would be appropriate for this cartridge are Power Pistol, and A#7

I tried a slightly increased charge weight. The 180 grain bullets I loaded today averaged 1160 fps, with a standard deviation of 4.8 fps, extreme spread was 16 fps. This was for a ten-round string.

At the same time, I have increased the charge weight twice for the 155 grain bullets. The load I tested today was .2 grains more than last week and I actually lost velocity. The velocity spread was nothing to brag about either. Overall, I am going to blame this on the brass. For the 155-grain load from today, I used a different manufacturer's brass. I had some S&B from a previous range visit so I loaded that brass. The S&B brass weighs ten grains less than the Sig Sauer nickel plated brass I have.

I am going to put together the same load, while using the thicker Sig Sauer brass and chronograph them tomorrow. The 180 grain load I mentioned earlier was using nickel plated brass from Sig Sauer.

Managed to finally conclude my testing of CFE Pistol and the 10mm auto with both 155 and 180 grain bullets. I make a full post with data later, after I am done working.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I have finished developing the loads I plan to use for the XDM Elite 10mm I have. The bullets are 155 grain XTP, and 180 grain XTP. Powder is CFE Pistol.
The data I started with was from Hodgdon. I am using Sig Sauer nickel plated brass from their Elite performance V-Crown ammunition. Primers are Federal GM155M large magnum pistol match primers. All loaded on my single stage Rock Chucker. I use my Rock Chucker for all defensive ammunition, especially during load development. Charges were dropped using the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. All cartridges were seated to have an OAL of 1.255".

Let us start with the 155-grain load. My goal was to reach 1400 fps with a powder that I have on hand or available nearby. The only powder I had that was appropriate and available was CFE Pistol. After reviewing published data I decided CFE pistol would be ok. Plus I load 45 Auto, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W with it as well. Needless to say, published data did not get me there. I gradually increased charge weights until arriving at the ones I will list here today. I still have no signs of over-pressure at all. All my tested velocities are with Labradar and well within standard velocity ranges for this cartridge.

155 XTP, 9.8 grains CFE Pistol

Avg 1390
SD 8.7
ES 24

180 XTP, 8.3 grains CFE Pistol

Avg 1213
SD 6.4
ES 21

Both loads shoot quite well. At 15 yards I shot a seven-round group with each. Both shot about 1.5" off hand. I am sure this gun would do better from a solid rest. The attached photo is of the group with the 155 grain XTP. I pulled one shot low and left. That was all me. I have no signs of excessive pressure. No cratering, no flattening, no smiles, no bulging, nothing I can find.

Attachments

• 275442398_945380782784439_8556588965207088697_n.jpg
    275442398_945380782784439_8556588965207088697_n.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 17
Back