10mm Auto

With Blue Dot, V-V N-105, and Longshot, it's 180's at 1300 fps in a 5" barrel. Longshot will get 200's to 1200 fps.

I just realized that the Hornady brass I have is small primer. I might be able to load some after all. I have small primers, but large are nowhere to be found

Score!

Managed to find some range ammo for this gun today and scored a brick of Large pistol magnum primers. Wanted standard large pistol, but beggars can't be choosers...

So, I spent more time with this gun yesterday. I was shooting some Armscor 180 grain ball ammo, and more of that Sig Elite performance. The 180-grain range ammo was much milder than the 180-grain V-Crown. I tested the velocity of the Sig ammo last week and I am average 1235 fps with the V-crown bullet from this compact gun. With the Sig Elite performance ammo recoil is significant.

I decided to try some lighter weight bullets and see if I can reduce perceived recoil for easier shooting. To be clear, I don't mind the recoil too much. The problem is that this grip is simply too short for my hand. Without being able to use my pinky to squeeze and control muzzle flip, recoil is tough to deal with here. Until I get some of the larger capacity magazines and the grip adapter, I am going to load a lighter bullet. I am presuming that a full power load with a 155-grain bullet will recoil less. However, I do understand that the increased powder charge over the heavier bullets will certainly add to the recoil.

I intend to use CFE Pistol for powder. The ultimate goal here is to create a lightweight defense load that has less perceived recoil than full power heavier loads. From watching the large number of gel test on YouTube, it would seem that the 155-grain Hornady XTP performs perfectly as far as I am concerned for penetration. Most of the tests I have seen show that bullet stopping in around 12" of gelatin. For me this is ideal, because I don't care if a bullet penetrates 100 miles through a target. I care that it enters, does lots of damage, and preferably does not exit at all. If they do exit, I don't want them to have enough remaining energy to be a serious threat to bystanders or others within my home.

Have any of you had experience with the Hornady 155-grain XTP in 10mm at velocities of 1300-1400 fps? What were your findings? Ultimately, I do not believe that most handgun loads have velocity sufficient to fragment a bullet that it designed not to fragment. Let me hear your thoughts on this.

Here was the first run with the 155 grain bullets. Overlap I am pretty satisfied with this load. Might decide to push this harder. I also will include another test with the SIG elite performance 180 grain V-Crown.

The 155 grain bullets are loaded with CFE pistol with a charge weight of .2 grains less than Hodgdon's published max load for this bullet and powder.

I was hoping to get the 155 grain XTP up to 1400 fps, and I am pretty sure this powder will do it. At this rate, it would appear that I am right inline with Hodgdon's published data for this powder and bullet combo. I am a little less than published max velocity, but I am also .2 grains below the charge they used to obtain that velocity. The case is fully supported by the chamber in this gun so I am not as hesitant to play with a load a little hotter than this one.

If the photos of the Labrador readings do not upload I will upload them later after I can reduce the image size.

Let's try uploading these photos again. The 155 grain were a little over 1300fps and the 180 grain SIG ammo was over 1250 average velocity.

Attachments

• received_450505676597240.jpeg
    received_450505676597240.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 19
  • received_296174872606898.jpeg
    received_296174872606898.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 15
CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I've loaded just about every bullet weight, from 135 to 200.
With bullets lighter than 180, 10mm doesn't really do much you can't do with a .40, so I stick to the heavier weights.

I spent quite a bit of time developing what I call "Cooper's Intent" loads; while what we got from Norma, circa 1983, was 200grs at over 1200fps, the cartridge was not intended to be a "magnum", it was supposed to supplant .45 ACP as a service pistol cartridge, and Cooper wanted a 200gr with impact velocity of 1000fps, which, at reasonable handgun distances, means a muzzle velocity of 1050-1100fps.

Such ballistics are achievable with a number of powders.

Last edited:
RickB,

I note that some of those loads are above the powder distributor's top loads, though I haven't checked all sources for them. If you have published data on them that's fine, but if not, you need to include the required disclaimer at the top of your post.

I don't want a 200 grain bullet at 1300 fps, lol. Going to the 155 grain bullets has more than one purpose. At higher velocities I am hoping the 155 grain bullets will penetrate less and dump more energy into my target, potentially not even exiting a human torso in a defensive situation. I am also confident that the lighter bullets will have less perceived recoil.

When comparing most published load data, the 10mm will push bullets of all weights several hundred fps faster than the 40S&W. Coincidentally, I intend to shoot the same bullets, and the same powder for my 40 S&W. Speaking of the powder, I am very satisfied with this powder after today's test. I am going to increase.my charge weight by .2 grains and see where that gets me. As of right now, I have no intention of loading above published data. I don't think it would benefit me in any way.

I increased my charge weight with the 155 grain bullets by .2 grains and got about 20 fps increase in velocity. Although the velocity spreads was tighter this time around. At Hodgdon's published max load for this powder and bullet, I am right about 60fps shy of the heir published velocity. Given that my barrel is 1.2" shorter than theirs, I am confident that I am right about where I should be. I don't think that I will be pushing this any further. I believe that a 155 grain bullet at 1350 fps is sufficient for defense.

I also tested the 180 grain XTP bullet and got an average velocity of 1115 fps using Hodgdon's published maximum load for this powder and bullet. These were about 90 fps slower than Hodgdon's data. Again, with my shorter barrel, I think my results are consistent with their data.

I also shot a 13 round string of SIG Elite Performance 180 grain V-Crown ammunition. Average velocity there was 1280 fps. I may end up buying some A#7 and #9 to see if I can gety 180 grain bullets up to that speed.

Hey fellas, I don't see any love for Unique or 231. My 10mm is a Glock 20SF and I'm using the Hornady 180 grain XTP bullet. I have a little BE-86 to play with. From what I have read BE-86 is Unique with a flash "inhibitor" (maybe the wrong word there)

Have any of you had any good results with any these components?

Thanks again
fish

I have been loading with Hornady XTP bullets. As far as the powders go, I have not used any of those you have listed. I am still very new at loading for this cartridge. CFE pistol seems to keep me with good velocity spreads and SD. Although, velocity seems a little low for full power loads, however the loads I have tried so far are several thousand psi short of the SAAMI max pressure for this cartridge. I have no real signs of excessive pressure, but this gun beats brass up pretty good on ejection. The cartridge base does not get damaged at all. Instead, when the case is ejected, the side of the case impacts a sharp corner on the ejection port on the slide. This leaves a crease in the case at this location. After firing again the crease is pressed out, only to be introduced again on ejection. After three loads this gun is splitting cases. I don't believe this is due to excessive pressure because this happened even with the lower charge weights and lower velocity factory rounds have been getting these creases. I am considering rounding off the section where the cases are impacting the slide of ejection in hopes to extend brass life.

With Blue Dot, V-V N-105, and Longshot, it's 180's at 1300 fps in a 5" barrel. Longshot will get 200's to 1200 fps

Note that Hodgdon has changed its load data using 180’s and Longshot, from 9.5gr as Max to 8.2gr as Max

Hornady also shows a max charge of 8.2 grains Longshot, and Sierra lists a max charge of 8.5 grains. This would lead me to believe that the new listing is legitimate.

Hornady also shows a max charge of 8.2 grains Longshot, and Sierra lists a max charge of 8.5 grains. This would lead me to believe that the new listing is legitimate.

Possible, cept Hornady also lists a Max of 7.3gr Longshot with 200gr bullet whereas Hodgdon list 8.2gr as Max for 200gr bullets.

Hodgdon data is the same for the 180gr and the 200gr, Hornady is not.

Sierra, does not use pressure testing equipment so their data is suspect at best.

If you look close you will also see that Hodgdon load data using longshot is unchanged across the board, except for the 180gr 10mm.

Possible, cept Hornady also lists a Max of 7.3gr Longshot with 200gr bullet whereas Hodgdon list 8.2gr as Max for 200gr bullets.

Hodgdon data is the same for the 180gr and the 200gr, Hornady is not.

Sierra, does not use pressure testing equipment so their data is suspect at best.

If you look close you will also see that Hodgdon load data using longshot is unchanged across the board, except for the 180gr 10mm.
Sierra says they used a universal receiver in the testing for that cartridge. I would have trouble understanding why a main player in the bullet manufacturing industry would use a universal receiver without using some sort of pressure testing technology.

Hornady used a Colt Delta elite for testing. When all three companies' data seems to agree, I would suspect that the data is accurate. I would wager that the Hodgdon's 200 grain data is the misprint.

Back