10mm Auto

Dang you were pretty spot though. Just looked in my Hornady Manual. 40 S&W 180 grain max loads are right in line with the middle of the road loads from the 10mm. 10MM minimum loads hang right around the same velocity as middle of the road loads for the 40 S&W
Yup, they decided 10mm had too much kick and the grip was too big. They down loaded it and shortened it to fit in a 9mm frame. Thats why many call it the 40 Short and Wimpy. However 40 has more pop than 9mm or 45 in my experience, but all are more than manageable. 10mm really excels at its top end. but no reason you can load in the middle either. That's to joy of reloading, you get to tailor it to your needs/wants.

When I was loading for 10mm I was loading hard cast 180-gr. bullets and using AA 7. I was very happy with the performance I got.

I've since sold my 10mm, but I'm using the AA 7 in .357 and .41 Mag. and finding it does a good job in those rounds, as well.

Well the great thing about the 10mm is being able to tailor your loads towards your end use. Trust me a 1300+ FPS 180gr will do a number on a critter. It might not be a 454, or even a 41 bit it does a great job.

I've been a big bore banger for quite a while so the recoil isn't much of an issue to me. The Javelina is a hoot to shoot sorta like a 1911 magnum of sorts. The G40, I put a KKM barrel on it with the brake and it does an excellent job with heavier cast bullets and of course the Gold Dots. My last couple of boxes of factory bullets were 200gr XTP's but I haven't had a chance to do much with them. I did note that 12grs of #9 was a touch much and really ironed out the primers. I only loaded a few to test so the next ones will be back down around 11grs. Really just wanted to try something a little different out of the newer pistol just to see how they did.

Good luck with your new toys.

Ive had good success with CFE pistol and (if you can find it) Shooters world Major pistol or Ultimate pistol!
Dont recall my loads with each at the moment ,But all 3 work well with Extreme 200gr RNFP

If you look at Hodgdon's data, the max loads with CFE Pistol are near the 10mm MAP, and none are compressed, so the powder can reach the peak pressure with reasonable quantities and hit the magnum handgun pressure range. HS-6 requires more charge weight to get to the same pressures with the same bullets, and it is known to function as well at that pressure range and even below it, so the odds are this powder will behave reasonably well in 10mm Auto.

always considered CFE Pistol to be a medium rate powder. slower that power pistol, unique, universal hp38/231, #5, but faster than #7

If you look at Hodgdon's data, the max loads with CFE Pistol are near the 10mm MAP, and none are compressed, so the powder can reach the peak pressure with reasonable quantities and hit the magnum handgun pressure range. HS-6 requires more charge weight to get to the same pressures with the same bullets, and it is known to function as well at that pressure range and even below it, so the odds are this powder will behave reasonably well in 10mm Auto.
I did take some time to review Hodgdon's data yesterday. It seems to me like the 10mm will work nicely as well.

Now that I am seeing that I was wrong about CFE Pistol, it makes sense for me to use it. I already use it for 9mm Luger, several of my buddies use it for 40 S&W with good results. Since I have a 40 and a 10mm on the way, and plenty of CFE Pistol available it is a no brainer for me now.

The real trouble is going to be finding large pistol primers.

I got lucky a couple months back, snagged some large pistol primers. You just have to keep looking.
I am going to need small pistol primers soon as well. I am down to about 1200 of those now. I got a wild hair up my butt awhile back and loaded a few thousand rounds of 9mm. Of course at the time, I was not considering any new pistols.

yeah, I have about 30 (thirty) small pistol primer left... been using small rifle primers for a bit now. I have around 2000 of those left. Couple places locally had primers, but they wanted between $13 per 100 to $180 per 1000.... too steep for me. I scored 2000 large pistol from Brownells, ended up being 105 per 1000 after tax, shipping, and hazmat (82.99 each before all that). Just gotta keep looking, you will run into some at a not too crazy price.

yeah, I have about 30 (thirty) small pistol primer left... been using small rifle primers for a bit now. I have around 2000 of those left. Couple places locally had primers, but they wanted between $13 per 100 to $180 per 1000.... too steep for me. I scored 2000 large pistol from Brownells, ended up being 105 per 1000 after tax, shipping, and hazmat (82.99 each before all that). Just gotta keep looking, you will run into some at a not too crazy price.
I am good on small rifle primers. I bought a brick of them every time I came across them over the last year and a half. Haven't found any in the last few months and I still have around 4,000 left.

I have used WSF, 800X, Power Pistol, AA#9, LilGun, Enforcer. I tend to prefer 800X.

Lots of XTPs through my 10mms, 180 and 200 grain. I shot my Elk at 80 yards with the 180 XTPs. Once I use up the rest of the 200s, I'll stick with 180s.

I will load Xtreme Plated and Montana Gold JHPs for matches and practice. I'll be loading 2000 rounds over the next month to finish the 2 year long T&E on the DI AR pattern carbine.

I have used WSF, 800X, Power Pistol, AA#9, LilGun, Enforcer. I tend to prefer 800X.

Lots of XTPs through my 10mms, 180 and 200 grain. I shot my Elk at 80 yards with the 180 XTPs. Once I use up the rest of the 200s, I'll stick with 180s.

I will load Xtreme Plated and Montana Gold JHPs for matches and practice. I'll be loading 2000 rounds over the next month to finish the 2 year long T&E on the DI AR pattern carbine.
My local guy has some 800X. I will grab a pound to try.

800-X was the least enjoyable-to-attempt-to-meter powder that I have ever worked with. Eventually I went with a Lee dipper because it seemed to be more consistent than my Lyman 55.

I also suspect that 800-X may have shown something erratic to the ATK ballisiticians, because the published load data using it really seems clipped from what it may very well be capable of.

Years back I think that many suspected Double Tap was using 800-X to clock the speedy numbers they advertised in 10mm ammo.

I’m honestly not sure that 800-X is still being produced for retail sale.

Hartmut Broemel said the reason he doesn't include either 700X or 800X in the QuickLOAD database is they have changed suppliers frequently enough to have too much lot variation for him to have confidence anything he publishes about one lot will still be valid at a future point in time. I have single pound quantities of them but have not invested much load development time in them for this reason.

Back