10mm Auto

kilotanker22

Who here loads for the 10mm, and what are your favorite powder and bullets for this caliber? I just ordered an RIA Rock Ultra double stack 1911 chambered for it. I presume that loading for 10mm, will not be much different from 9mm Luger or 45 Auto in process. Bullet weights I intend to shoot are 180-200 grains.

I liked the heavier bullets for 10. 200-220. Longshot, 700x and 800x were what I used. I have the same gun as you, but I believe yours has the rail, mine does not, but I got a 9x25 Dillon barrel for it(9x25 is a HOOT.) Most of what I shot emulated the underwood 220, and I think I was getting close to 1300 fps with them. Power pistol and blue dot is what I used for 180's. Blue dot I believe does not have a flash suppressant in it, so tends to have nice fireballs at night

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You should be good with Universal Clays, Unique or Blue Dot and 180 grain bullets. 1150 to 1200fps is typical.

I don’t load and shoot a ton of it these days but I’ve got many thousands from my bench down range. I dabbled a bit with Nosler 150’s and got more comfortable with Precision Delta 180’s. A lot of Power Pistol and Hodgdon LongShot. Goofed around with IMR-800X and got over that fascination quickly.

Most of mine has been through my Gen 3 Glock 29, but lots of fun with my S&W 1006.

I have Glock's 20 and 29.

I load almost entirely 180's. I've loaded light plated loads using propellants as fast as AA#2, and AA#5. But most of my loads have been with jacketed pullets stoked up a bit with AA#7.

Many go up to AA#9, but I was pleased with 7's performance so I chose to not bother.

I've also used Power Pistol with good results too. What few 165's I've loaded, I did so with Power Pistol and had great velocities.

Well, I placed the order a few days ago and Bud's reached out to me today to say that although I did order that pistol, it was actually out of stock and their inventory system had not been updated properly.

Couldn't find any other 10mm handguns that I liked so I ordered a 40 S&W instead. At least I can use the dies and bullets that I bought for the 10mm.

NICE! Are you going to try and pick one bullet weight for both, or keep separate weight by caliber?

Always likes the XDM's not sure what I never got one...

NICE! Are you going to try and pick one bullet weight for both, or keep separate weight by caliber?

Always likes the XDM's not sure what I never got one...
I plan to use the same bullet weight for both cartridges. I have to stock less variations that way. The trouble I am having is determining what weight bullets I want to use.
.current availability of projectiles is ok, with plenty of cheaper played bullets in all weights available for practice ammo. The real problem is defensive bullets. If I stay with 165 grain projectiles, I can shoot the plated bullets and get my favorite defensive bullets in the same weight (SIG/Sierra V-Crown, Speer Gold Dot). Current availability shows a much lower variety of 180 grain defensive bullets available right now.

At the moment I am actually leaning toward 165 grain projectiles for both cartridges.

Hand loads or factory for defensive? I know in 9mm, 38/357, and 44 JHP bullets and factory ammo have had a limited selection for a bit now with the XTP being the most available in my area in both. although we are getting some fiocchi in here lately.

Used to be issued a 40, a G22. We ran 165s if I remember right, its been a while since they switched us over to 9mm. I shot both 165 and 180s, I remember I preferred the 180s, but all factory ammo, no reloads in our duty guns. Never had the pleasure of shooting 10mm. Found a 10mm casing in my last batch of 44mag brass I bought along with some 40s. They were a fair bit longer. was not a huge fan of 40, but 10mm is on my list of calibers to get eventually.

I would see if you could find some factory 165s and 180s in both. Preferably full power 10mm like underwood or buffalo bore. See what you like the feel of. Plus it will be some brass to reload with later. If you find you really prefer one over the other might be worth the search.

Last edited:
Been loading for the 10mm since the late 80s. In the beginning I purchased bullets of all makes and weights ranging from 135 to 200gr. Initially I simply wanted to see what shot and how well.

I tested multiple powder and primer combinations and finally settled on 180gr bullets, Win-WLP, and AA-9. My pistol was a IAI Javelina with the 7" barrel. With a healthy dose of #9 it was getting me just over 1300fps. At the time Remington and Winchester bulk bullets were pretty affordable and easily had. That provided plenty of practice rounds and paved the way for the 180gr Speer Gold Dot once it was released.

Since the GD's were released I used them almost exclusively up until a few years back when I started casting. Even so, I still have hunted whitetail and feral hogs for years with lots of success. I have also added a G40 which is just as accurate and just as potent on game.

I found Accurate powder to meter great and run clean with all weights from the lighter 135's up to the 200's. I guess I'm one of those who finds what works and sticks with it. That said there have been quite a few powders come out though the years that were all the rage for several calibers including the 10mm for top end loads. Even so the Accurate line has always done well and never over worked, or over pressured brass.

Good luck with your quest, just one tidbit, don't get hung up on chasing top end velocities, stick to book loads and chase accuracy instead.

Been loading for the 10mm since the late 80s. In the beginning I purchased bullets of all makes and weights ranging from 135 to 200gr. Initially I simply wanted to see what shot and how well.

I tested multiple powder and primer combinations and finally settled on 180gr bullets, Win-WLP, and AA-9. My pistol was a IAI Javelina with the 7" barrel. With a healthy dose of #9 it was getting me just over 1300fps. At the time Remington and Winchester bulk bullets were pretty affordable and easily had. That provided plenty of practice rounds and paved the way for the 180gr Speer Gold Dot once it was released.

Since the GD's were released I used them almost exclusively up until a few years back when I started casting. Even so, I still have hunted whitetail and feral hogs for years with lots of success. I have also added a G40 which is just as accurate and just as potent on game.

I found Accurate powder to meter great and run clean with all weights from the lighter 135's up to the 200's. I guess I'm one of those who finds what works and sticks with it. That said there have been quite a few powders come out though the years that were all the rage for several calibers including the 10mm for top end loads. Even so the Accurate line has always done well and never over worked, or over pressured brass.

Good luck with your quest, just one tidbit, don't get hung up on chasing top end velocities, stick to book loads and chase accuracy instead.
Indiana allowed 10mm and 40 for deer here recently, with a minimum of a 4in barrel.

WOW... I had not heard of the IAI javelina before, just looked it up.... I'm drooling.....

here's a forgotten weapons vid on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNdKeRywx1w

I am not super concerned with top end velocities, especially in a carry gun. Part of the reason I wanted 10mm was just to have one lol. Even with milder factory loads like the Hornady critical duty, the 10mm is spitting a 175-grain bullet at the same speed I am shooting 115-grain bullets from my 9mm pistols. That yields a 52% increase in KE. When considering an increase in diameter of 13% and 52% increase in KE of the 10mm bullet, I think even middle of the road loads for the 10mm have a superior amount of stopping power to the 9mm.

only kicker is middle of the road 10mm is right around 40S&W loads. But both offer good energy increases over 9mm.

Long as it suits your needs or wants and having fun! Let us know how your workups go.

I also recently ordered a Walther PDP, full size. My wife only knows about 10mm and the Walther though. She doesn't know that I also have the 40 S&W coming. I am sure that I will play with the loads a little and see where it goes. I am assuming that middle of the road 10mm loads are toward the top end of the 40 S&W loads. I have not reviewed a great deal of load data as of yet though for comparison.

only kicker is middle of the road 10mm is right around 40S&W loads. But both offer good energy increases over 9mm.

Long as it suits your needs or wants and having fun! Let us know how your workups go.
Dang you were pretty spot though. Just looked in my Hornady Manual. 40 S&W 180 grain max loads are right in line with the middle of the road loads from the 10mm. 10MM minimum loads hang right around the same velocity as middle of the road loads for the 40 S&W

Back