You've been shot,. . Now what?

Use a med pack to get all of my health back, unless I die. If I die, I just respawn... right? :D

Assuming the wound is not fatal, I would keep fighting the BG if I could. If the BG was down I would try to stop the bleeding and call 911.

Fact is, know one knows til it happens. Variables abound here in hypothesizing. Where is the wound, how far was shooter, shot with what, direct hit or ricochet? Hopefully, if you have been trained in some aspect of warfighting or LE, that training will kick in. It may or may not. Example: After getting out of the Corps and combat, being trained in CQB and feeling on top of my game, I was shot in a drive by at work. Main road was 75 feet from loading yard, was hit with a .25 at 6 a.m. in Nov, so very low light. Recognized gunshot(training), took cover(training),waited for threat to pass as I was not allowed to posses a weapon on company property. @ approx 1 minute into event, a co-worker (former Army medic) noticed a dark stain spread across my upper thigh as we were behind the truck. His training kicked in as mine went out the door. Looked down,saw the blood and started to collapse. He put pressure on the center of wound while someone called 911. Ambulance arrived and heard the words "femoral artery severed". Within 4 and a half mins of being shot, I was in the hospital being operated on. Later found out Dr. told my wife if not for the Medic and that the hospital was 2 mins from scene, I would have bled out. As much as it pains me to say, this Jarhead owes his life to an Army dog. Kidding aside, his training kicked in while mine did not. The gist of this you can't KNOW until it ACTUALLY happens. You would like to think you can handle the things you have been trained for, all you can do hope it kicks in.

Use a med pack to get all of my health back, unless I die. If I die, I just respawn... right?

Nah, painkillers, Max Payne style:D

Haven't been shot, and would like to keep it that way.

This. But if it ever happens, I'll figure it out then. Not really something you can practice....

Here's hoping I get shot with a .32 and never realize it, but when I do, I'll be really POed:)

If you're a cowboy, you should drink a bunch of whiskey and dig around in the wound with a dirty knife to remove the bullet.

If you're not a cowboy, the options become more varied.

B. Lahey, didn't you leave out the part about, after drinking some of the whiskey, pouring the rest into the wound to sterilize it?

If you're going to go cowboy, go all the way.

'You've been shot, now what?'

Good question. Current reality based training often emphasize fighting past your mistakes and keep moving. The "Bang Bang, your dead, scenario reset" type training may reinforce counter productive behavior, IE "I'm shot, I stop". Pushing through mistakes in training may help you continue in combat if physically able. People under stress often default to ingrained behaviors developed during training. An example that comes to mind is an Army Ranger coiling a fast rope for re-use while under fire in Mogadishu. During training the last man down always coiled the dropped rope for the next run. So thats what he did, despite exposing himself to fire.
I think this is a good question to confront. "what do I do If shot?" If you never confront this question or rehearse your response I believe (Pure Speculation) that you are less likely to continue the fight than if you addressed this possibility in mind and training.

How to train for this in a way that is practical and accessible to the average citizen?

Most of the training that I have had experience with during my military career emphasized "State Dependent Learning" i.e. You are able to recall and perform a skill while in the same psychological state under which you learned it. and "Stress Inoculation" i.e. being exposed to a criterion level of stress during training will help you to continue to observe orient decide and act in combat and lesson the possibility of stress overload.

How does the average civilian safely recreate the stresses of SD (including fighting past injury) in a manner that provides benefits that can realized in real life?

Last edited:
The "Bang Bang, your dead, scenario reset" type training may reinforce counter productive behavior, IE "I'm shot, I stop". Pushing through mistakes in training may help you continue in combat if physically able.

Back when I played paintball, that was pretty much the rules - get shot, you're out. Not conducive to the "keep going" mentality that adrenaline was contributing to.

How does the average civilian safely recreate the stresses of SD (including fighting past injury) in a manner that provides benefits that can realized in real life?

Indeed, with hand to hand training (boxing, martial arts, etc) one can learn to take multiple hits and keep right on truckin'. Not really the same for firearms, although substituting a paintball gun might be suitable - crank the CO2 up and those suckers hurt

Maybe have a friend pelt you with paint while you try to shoot a target at defense distance? Sounds dumb, but maybe?

Watch the end of scarface. As Long as it's not a shotgun shot to the back, and assuming you just barried your face in a pile of grade A Columbian bam bam, you should be fine

when you have actually taken a hit

Some lay down and die, I was shot in the left shoulder from behind. It hurt real bad, tears in my eyes made it hard to see, moving was slow it seemed I went under a truck and out the other side to get away. My first thoughts were get away now. I came up on the other side they were running away dowwn the street.

Shook for hours it seemed from the ad dump.

Now when I was stuck in the neck with a knife, that hurt even more and bled way more.

My advice it to avoid gun fights at all costs, unlesss it is the only way out.

Well, my response to significant pain has usually been a pause (ARRRGHH! THAT HURTS!), then a realization that I need to do something (get help, keep going, etc). Hopefully, the pause would be short and I'd decide to continue defending myself, apply 1st aid, and seek help.

You guys should have listened to me when I told you to consider bullet resistant clothing as part of your tactical thinking.

If I was working patrol this might apply. I can't wear a flak jacket 24/7.

There's to many 'what if's' to really answer this. It depends to much on the situation and the degree of injury.. Generally I'd say continue to defend yourself and seek Medical Aid if at all possible.
I sat down one time and counted 26 separate times I've been shot at. I've never been hit. Thank God and Bad Guys poor shooting.

Psychological vs Physiological Incapacitation

There's to many 'what if's' to really answer this. It depends to much on the situation and the degree of injury.. Generally I'd say continue to defend yourself and seek Medical Aid if at all possible.

I agree, too many variables to predict what a person would do. I know what I want to do if at all physically capable; continue to defend my life.

How can a person train to increase the chances of doing what they should do if able?.

Physiological incapacitation is not the only circumstance under which someone that is shot, quits the fight. In my way of thinking, quitting the fight while the threat is still present is potentially fatal.

Last edited:
There is no way to predetermine how someone will react when you shoot them. So it seems logical that there is no way how I would react.

It could run the gambit from not realizing I'd been hit to falling over dead.

I keep fighting unless I am physically uncapable. I have tried to develop the mindset because I am hit I am in no means out of the fight even if it is very bad. People can continue one through hard situations and I hope my mindset will work if/when SHTF. I just want to at least get the guy that got me. Just get mad that he's trying to take away your life and possibly wife/children. Keep Fighting and give it your ALL, imho.

You've been shot

I noticed in this thread everyone who has actully been shot said the same thing. They didn't know instantly.
I would recomend after bieing shot, First: don't be a target! Second: The adrinelan rush will intensify for a few minutes and you will feel like superman, Depending on where you are hit you should be able to function ok just some body parts won't work. Third You will probably go into shock and not be thinking rationaly in a few minutes.
Just my opinion,but I've been shot three times and twice seriously, all at different times. Once as a kid in the foot from a long way away and twice in Vietnam. once in the gut, and once in the sholder.

TylerD45ACP

If your addressing me? Not much to tell. As a 11 year old kid I was riding my bike and felt a stinging in my foot, thought it was a bee sting, my sister noticed blood. We walked back to the house, maby 300 feet, my grandfather took my shoe off, (hurting like hell by then) and took me to doc. and dug a 22bullet out of my arch.
Fast forward to 1968, A group of us were bieing transfered from a APB unit on the green river. The helo got shot down and we were running to another, A few hundred feet to go I felt a stinging in my right side and saw the guy on my left go down. One of the air crew and someone else picked him up and we ran to the other chopper. as I climed in I thought I hurt my stomach on the edge of the door untill a corman said "That one won't make it, this one's hurt bad" and lifted my shirt up and i saw the hole in my right side. Then I went into shock.
Fast forward to 1972. In a PBR headed up river looking forward and thinking how beautiful the jungle is, something rit me in the sholder hard enough to knock me back and down. I thought it must have been a bird. When I tried to get up my arm wouldent move like it should and I saw blood and realized I had been hit. I was ****** but my buddys woulden't let me get up not long after that i went into shock and woke up in a hospital.

Back